Max Flo filter for Stihl 500I-Is it worth the money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capejwc

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pondering whether to put a Max Flo filter on my Stihl 500I. I do storm clean up work with charitable organizations like Samaritans Purse. Most of the tree damage is fairly recent, so pretty clean wood to work with some in the dirt on the outside like any other storm damaged trees. Always some hollow trees with the normal junk in them. Have not done any fire area clean up and don't plan to do that, so not worried about that filter issue. I do notice some small particulate under the filter when I clean, which I do at least daily by tapping out the filter. I do clean more often if pretty dusty or an area where I do not get any air flow around the saw.

Does the Max Flo filter do that much better job or are their claims on their website justified? My saw is fairly new, so would like to keep it running at peak for a long time. I do run Stihl OEM filters now.
Advice appreciated.

No doubt an oiled foam filter is a step in the right direction. With that said Stihl saws have been sucking junk passed their filters since forever with no apparent effect on their reliability.

I just looked at the Max Flo website and the Stihl 500I kit is $89.95, but you have to modify it yourself to use for longer bars, etc due to flex in the saw suspension. Seems like a lot of money for a plastic shroud, foam filter and still have to modify yourself. Here is a link to the modification video. I did send them an email asking why they just don't provide the kit ready to go.

I just looked at the Max Flo website and the Stihl 500I kit is $89.95, but you have to modify it yourself to use for longer bars, etc due to flex in the saw suspension. Seems like a lot of money for a plastic shroud, foam filter and still have to modify yourself. Here is a link to the modification video. I did send them an email asking why they just don't provide the kit ready to go.

Just got a reply from Max Flo that they do have one shroud already modified for an extra $55 plus the original $89.95 kit. My stock filter is looking better all of the time.

If you are running long bars you really need to beef up the antivibe buffers.

Running a 26 inch bar, so no real problems with the suspension at this point. How well do the Egan filters work? See lot of people using them.
I have had mine on the saw for about 6 tanks of fuel. I have not cleaned it and it seems to be keeping all the crud on the outside of it. I did it and the straight shot muffler at the same time, so I couldn’t tell you which one or both are responsible for a slight bump in performance. The stock filter would be pretty loaded with chips and dust after 2 tanks of fuel. This is cutting dirty fir and larch as well as some part rotten cottonwood.

Just did a post on a failed 500i with this filter that was not maintained. Only get it if you are willing to maintain it.
Found it. Was the Max flow. https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/max-flow.374970/

Some people even dont know you have to oil the bought new dry filters sold by some companies and run some dry. Duh. Saw might not last long then eating those fines.

Jason Egan said his uni filters come pre oiled to get folks by the first use till they clean and oil later.

Attachments

• Bel-Ray-Foam-Filter-Group.jpg
    Bel-Ray-Foam-Filter-Group.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 0
  • s500afxxxx.jpg
    s500afxxxx.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 0
Thank you for all our loyal Maxflow customers. We learn from you every day and try to take your feedback to improve each new kit.

Here is a post with some answers to questions asked on the thread.
https://maxflowfilters.com/q&a-from-maxflow-1

We do perform a courtesy 500i trim for some customers when they buy the kit and shroud from us, but it takes about an hour to drive to the Stihl dealer and buy an new shroud and about 15 minutes to make the mod. If you do the math, we probably lose money on every sale.

How well do the Egan filters work? See lot of people using them.

I've known Jason for a long time. Man of his word you have a issue contact him. He is a retired logger and knows what is needed.

I've never read any issues with them to date. You can read feedback on his sales website and at egan performance saws FB.

This guy ran one with just the pre-oiled filter as they came. Not even having to clean and re-oil. I suggest Belray myself. Can give reason why as me and Jason had a talk on this when my son was racing on dirt in stock appearing kart.

= Been testing one out for awhile. Big improvement for the 500. Little Increase in power and zero fines getting by. Got 5 days on this filter so far. I love it. You can still use your stock cover. Factory oil. Filters come pre oiled.

Noticed he has to video's in link to show how to install everything correctly. https://eganperformancesaws.com/products/air-filter-kit

more of just filters https://eganperformancesaws.com/collections/all

Attachments

• s500afxxxx.jpg
    s500afxxxx.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Bel-Ray-Foam-Filter-Group.jpg
    Bel-Ray-Foam-Filter-Group.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 0
I have Egan's MS400c filter setup. Pretty clever design and way better than the Red Beard/WCS filter.
If I had a 500i I woukd give his setup a serious look.
Could I ask what is the difference between the Egan and the Red Beard /WCS 400 filter?

Latest posts

Back