McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poor pics, they may or may not help. I think that kart covers will fit standard frames, like the 250.

mac20.jpg

Mac-20.jpg

Mac20.jpg

Thanks Randy!

So for it to completely work on my 890 chassis, I would need the kart fan housing and shroud to fit properly, if not trim one or the other for the spark plug!

My 890 chassis is just bulged were the spark plug is.

Thanks guys.

Anybody have pictures of the wrench that may have came with the ol Macs.

I think my Great Uncle may have came up with the original the other day, and mentioned the paper work and book may be around for the 44A
:clap:

I have one at home, no photo's on the computer that I can think of.

If no one puts something up before hand, I will be back next week and try to remember.

Mark

Go to the main ebay page and type in
mcculloch 797 hit search, when that
page comes up scroll down a little and
on the left look for completed listings.
Click on that and there you have it.

Lee

Lee, thanks so much. I have been on ebay for years and never knew that. I swear that never a day goes by that I don't learn something new on AS, and often it is from you. Thanks again.

I am looking at a couple of Mac 250s. These are not Supers. My question is are these good Macs to pickup...of course all Macs are great....Just wish I could find a super 250 and a PM 850 parts saw....

Anyway....I am really liking the looks of those old 250's.

I participated in a local old engine show this weekend and had a few Macs in my booth that I wanted to cut some cookies with.

there were :

CP125
640 geardrive
550super
7-10A
35a with bow bar

They didn't run for quite some time since I put them on the shelve, but I was confident that they would fire up once I needed them.

Both the 640 and 550s equipped with that SOB Flatback had me cranking crazy but wouldn't fire....a fine gentlemen I had never met before and looking at the scene declared "I knew this would happen, I have worked with them suckers for more than 30 years"...

As a fine connaisseur/collector of the yellow brand and feeling a bit embarassed with the whole situation... I had to think constantly how Randy must have felt working with them all day long. A whole lotta cussing going on in them woods, I think :hmm3grin2orange::givebeer:

Roland, they weren't bad back then when used regularly, I remember leaky primers though. McCullochs, like many other chainsaws are fussy when they sit, the difference is that Macs will punish you for the neglect. Ignition timing, points are the usual culprits for hard starting. Timing involves some sort of voodoo, explaining it is difficult, since I have never done it. I had two McCulloch guys play with that stuff, one, my Bro could do it in his sleep, used the standard setting, the other guy dialed in 2.5 degrees of advance, more revs, but now and then would turn evil and deliver an ass whipping before starting.

Hey Randy,

Did you ever end up using that bar and chain from my Mac35A (was part of 'the C5 deal') on anything? If so............post up a pic of it on a saw. Just got to thinking about it...:cheers:

Oh, and didja find me a Super250 yet?????? No? How about now? :deadhorse:

Just kidding. Couldn't afford to buy one now anyways. Maybe I'll get lucky and somebody will want my 77 more than one of their Super250's...

McCulloch 790 question

Someone posted a link to the above saw in the " I saw it on craigslist" and I bought it.
I got it in and it needs a carb. rebuild. I have a source for a kit, but the rubber part in the primer has deteriorated to the point that I can not tell anything about it.
I think it is a rubber seat for the steel ball. Someone here mentioned using a Homelite duck bill value as replacement for a rubber part on a McCulloch carb. Can anyone give me more information on what I need to do to get the carb. back to a running condition.
Also I could use an IPL for the saw and carb. Thanks for any help. Tom

from what it sounds like you have a flatback carb. the forward port of the primer has a check valve in the carb body. i think you can use the rubber metering needle seat out of a tillitson Hl as a substitute seat for the check valve.
also you may find some thick wall fuel line that fits the hole and razor slice a short piece off to fit.

Last edited:
There is a post in the McCulloch Carburetor thread (see link below) where Stinkbait shows that the rubber seat from a Tillotson HL carburetor can be used to replace the original rubber seat for the check valve in the primer on the big McCulloch Flat Back carburetor.

The information about using the Homelite duck bill as a replacement check valve is for the 10 Series carburetor. I have not gotten around to putting together the 10 Series carburetor thread yet.

Mark

how many different size flatbacks are there and what models do they cover ? i see parts for sale that look like mine but even with my carb number sellers don't seem to know what they fit.

Latest posts

Back