McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks Mark for your run down on the flatback and it's many incarnations. knowing there is one size makes it easier to pick parts from pictures on the web.
the one on my 795 has the primer and the idle governor. looks like there's a wide adjusment range on the spring. i've never heard it run properly with this carb, as it flooded badly. do they 'hunt' at idle ? kind of an interesting design . wonder what the purpose was.
i put an HL on it and it runs fine, but will restore the flatback when i get all the part$ together.

Gotta ask why its funny about the sprocket bearings---I do it every time I use a saw---I clean check the bar sharpen the chain check all screws,nuts and bolts and grease the barrings---If a saw will be siting more than 3 days I drain the fuel---You can laugh all you want or think I'm crazy (well that I am)but I don't get break downs cause of a small thing like sprocket bearings

Yeah, well, I dissasembled, cleaned and lubed the clutch every week, but then, many chainsaws didn't see the use mine did. I have noticed that many of my saws never had that form of care and it shows, check for a wobbling clutch drum, that poor bushing does need the help.

You re rite on--- probably one of the most important and most forgotten is the bushing---All the grime and heat its amazing they survive at all---I can notes a difference wen mine get dry it does make the saw run harder and gets hotter---Lately Iv bean doing a lot of cutting in water and if it gets dry it will scream and IL shut it down rite their

Gotta ask why its funny about the sprocket bearings---I do it every time I use a saw---I clean check the bar sharpen the chain check all screws,nuts and bolts and grease the barrings---If a saw will be siting more than 3 days I drain the fuel---You can laugh all you want or think I'm crazy (well that I am)but I don't get break downs cause of a small thing like sprocket bearings

I guess Don - there is nothing funny about what SHOULD get done, its more the case of what doesn't get done. This is an area that gets overlooked all too often - as in many other things to do with equipment maintenance.

Regards,

Chris.

I collect old saws and use them also ---Most of the saws I get aren't working and mostly the easiest repairs---Cleaning and general maintenance is usually all they knead---I was given a c-52 real bad shape 25year old fuel in it clutch was stuck---No grease so it burned to the shaft no bearings and casing warped---It makes me wonder how many injuries can be prevented by a simple little thing like greasing the clutch bearings or the sprocket tip or even just regular cleaning---I saw a guy by where I work catch his saw on fire when I went to help I no test he never cleaned the saw and it was all the crud that was burning---Pleas everybody keep youre saws clean and properly maintained their dangerous enuff don't ad to the danger pleas

There are several chores that should be done every day, most are like the air filter, fairly obvious. That check valve for the oiler needs constant attention or get used to cleaning up the mess. If you cut nasty stuff, like burnt timber, field stripping the recoil is also a daily thing. (I hate burnt timber, yuck, black boogers) Like Don says, cooling fin cleaning is a must do, the oily build-up underneath the driveside cover needs gone too.

do they 'hunt' at idle ? kind of an interesting design . wonder what the purpose was.
Indeed they do hunt at idle, in a way I rather like watching my 550 in particular as the chain moves a little each time it speeds up, then stops again when it slows back down.

I think this was the McCulloch answer to the man too lazy to blip the throttle, let the saw do it on it's own...

Mark

There are several chores that should be done every day, most are like the air filter, fairly obvious. That check valve for the oiler needs constant attention or get used to cleaning up the mess. If you cut nasty stuff, like burnt timber, field stripping the recoil is also a daily thing. (I hate burnt timber, yuck, black boogers) Like Don says, cooling fin cleaning is a must do, the oily build-up underneath the driveside cover needs gone too.

I realy started to clean the fins on the coil side cause of my jonsered---It will get stuff between the coil and flywheel and stop working---its a simple thing to keep them clean if you make it part of using a saw

The saw with the muffler and flywheel etc. still on it says it's a 3-25 on the tag. The other one with the X on the gearcase has no tag anywhere on it, so after I pulled the stud and spikes for you from it, I pulled the topend off and measured. It's 63.5mm, so it's either a 73 or 77, I think? I got the piston free in the cylinder but I can't pull it out yet; it binds up once it gets below the exhaust. I had to use the old grease gun trick to pop the piston loose, and just unbolted the bottom end of the rod to get it free. I think I bent the rod in the vise trying to twist the piston out of the jug though. :( If I ever do manage to get it free, the topend does look perfectly usable if a guy had some new rings.

Interesting. Maybe you have a 73.......or a 77 that just has a different muffler than mine. That thin flat pad on the rear lower handle brace should have the model # followed by the serial #. My 77 has "77-1479" for the model and serial numbers on that pad. If you had the fuel tank then it'd be easy to tell. The 49 and 77 have one style of tank, while the 73 has another. They also say "77" or "73" on top, if the decal's still there...

Just looked at my saw again. Was paying paticular attention to the muffler. The one in your pics looks like what I've seen on 4-30's. Mine has one front large front outlet instead of the small slits on the end. Got a surprise just now. Looking inside the outlet...........................I see a LARGE mud-wasp nest inside the muffler can. Hadn't seen that before.....................and I've ran the saw! The was a small mud-wasp nest in the cylinder shrowd, above the coil. Saw that one and disposed of it before starting the saw. Missed the one in the muffler until just now...:laugh:

Do you have any of the handlebar mount bolts? I could use at least one of those. Otherwise I'll just source some from the local HW store...

I realy started to clean the fins on the coil side cause of my jonsered---It will get stuff between the coil and flywheel and stop working---its a simple thing to keep them clean if you make it part of using a saw

I bought the low-hours C5 in my avatar pic offa ebay. The paint and decals showed very little use. To get it running I did the usual fuel line replacement and gunk clean out. I removed about two pounds of tar-like sawdust/chips/oil gunk out from around the cylinder fins and the interior of the fan showd and cylinder cover. I'm lucky the prior owners used the saw so little.............as they'd have overheated the heck out of it if it'd been worked hard with the fins and such so gunked up...

I think my Mac 15 and the C5 are the only 2 used saws I've bought that didn't have crap packed into the cooling fins. Getting pretty good at decrapulating a saw.

I bought the low-hours C5 in my avatar pic offa ebay. The paint and decals showed very little use. To get it running I did the usual fuel line replacement and gunk clean out. I removed about two pounds of tar-like sawdust/chips/oil gunk out from around the cylinder fins and the interior of the fan showd and cylinder cover. I'm lucky the prior owners used the saw so little.............as they'd have overheated the heck out of it if it'd been worked hard with the fins and such so gunked up...

don't you love getting a saw that looks great on the outside then go to do the usual go threw and cant find the cylinder or anything threw all the crap---Don't no about any of you people but wen I sea that stuff I get real nervous

on this chainsaw cleaning how can I make a new thread about it---Can do discussions on bad thing that can happen and maybe help others that don't realy no what to or how to clean a saw properly---Or could one of you start it---Or what do you think of it

I think my Mac 15 and the C5 are the only 2 used saws I've bought that didn't have crap packed into the cooling fins. Getting pretty good at decrapulating a saw.

Love that word DECRAPULATING it fits very well I never could figure out a word for that stuff but that works

Here is the Super 44A
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hoping this is the original wrench

I know I dont have a lot of experience in the world of Mcculloch, and my first saw was not most peoples first choice in projects. But does it seem like these old saws are like being married, they piss you off as much as they make you happy.

Btw thanks cpr or out bidding me on that Supper 55 you got. I would not have been able to get the 797 if I would have won that one:).

Back