McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opening the NIB Pro Mac 800

A great big thanks to Mark for securing this NIB PM800 for me, hanging on to it for months, and then meeting me all the way in Ft Wayne IN to hand it over. I had a great time, although it was entirely too short. I could have spent hours talking to him. What a great stand up guy.
I'll start out by apologizing for the lousy video quality. I was holding the camera with one hand while opening the box with the other. Also, I should have kept my piehole shut. I sound like such a dork :dizzy: Anyways, this is my first attempt at a youtube video, so we'll see if it works. I just wanted to share the moment with my fellow Mac heads. Still shots will follow next now that I have my computer/camera/software issues all worked out.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4DNehQWrNLA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4DNehQWrNLA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

A great big thanks to Mark for securing this NIB PM800 for me, hanging on to it for months, and then meeting me all the way in Ft Wayne IN to hand it over. I had a great time, although it was entirely too short. I could have spent hours talking to him. What a great stand up guy.
I'll start out by apologizing for the lousy video quality. I was holding the camera with one hand while opening the box with the other. Also, I should have kept my piehole shut. I sound like such a dork :dizzy: Anyways, this is my first attempt at a youtube video, so we'll see if it works. I just wanted to share the moment with my fellow Mac heads. Still shots will follow next now that I have my computer/camera/software issues all worked out.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4DNehQWrNLA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4DNehQWrNLA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

At least you know how to put something on utube..I wouldn't have a clue. Maybe there's a sticky somewhere on that. Nice saw you got. Are you going to fire it up?

At least you know how to put something on utube..I wouldn't have a clue. Maybe there's a sticky somewhere on that. Nice saw you got. Are you going to fire it up?

I was already signed up with youtube, so it was actually quite easy. I do intend to run it. I've got a bar on it now, I want to break it in with some light duty work before I bury the bar. I intend to get a vid of that as well.

Hey Jim, you did a great job of posting your first video. Geraldo Rivera couldn't have done it any better. Looked kind of tough trying to pull the saw out of the box with one hand & shooting with the other. I would have probably tried to hold onto the box with my big feet while pulling the important stuff out. Real nice-looking saw. I would be concerned about getting it dirty, since it is so purdy right now! ;) Don't forget to mail in the warranty registration card. :D

All the Mac 15's look the same except for some have different
carbs and on some the tanks are black. No other mac's look
like a 15.

p1010764.jpg

p1010766xv.jpg

p1010767l.jpg

p1010769qd.jpg
[/

Yep. !950's styling for saws sold during the 1960's. No fuel pumps in the Tillotson HC carbs. Gravity feed only. I would imagine that an HL would work just fine. There was a version which used a Walbro carb w/o a fuel pump. The IPL # for that one is 68977. It also was different in that it did not use the Skinner ribbon element air filter, which is so commonly seen on the Mac 15 saws. It came with a flocked wire screen air filter element, part # 52961. It is essentially just a long thin strip of flocked window screen rolled into a tube & stapled to hold its shape. The one I encountered had more jaggers sticking out of the edges than I cared to deal with.

The Mac 15 also has its fuel induction system entering through the bottom of the crank case, where most Mac saws would have a stuffer plate bolted in place. Seems quite a number of sellers of Mac 15 saws like to refer to them as "Kart" saws. It is quite ironic considering how de-tuned a Mac 15 is compared to one of the real Kart engines of the 49 family which share the same displacement. Pull the stack "muffler" off of a 15 & you will see that there are three sections, so to speak, for exhaust port holes to be located. The Mac 15 only uses 2 out of the 3. It would be interesting to see if opening a third exhaust port would help improve the Mac 15 performance. Seems like a number of AS members were talking about having "Wild Thing" races, maybe we could try sanctioning Mac 15 racing. :D

So is the Mac 15 worth saving from the scrap yard

:)
Well it is safe, I just dont know if I want to track down the parts needed

Also, a Alpina Pro55, looks a awful lot like a MAC, any similarities, or am I losing my mind?

So is the Mac 15 worth saving from the scrap yard

:)
Well it is safe, I just dont know if I want to track down the parts needed

Also, a Alpina Pro55, looks a awful lot like a MAC, any similarities, or am I losing my mind?

Save the Mac 15!!! :cheers:

No opinion on the Alpina..........other than that it's not a McCulloch or Homelite...:popcorn:

Would anybody have a crankcase cover for a 797 they would like to sell?

You need part number 57827A, or 69487, or 84193,
This case half fits many saws from the 890, 895, 795,
797, super 797 and possibly the 1-85, and 1-86 but
i don't have those IPL's
You should be able to find a new one.

Did you get the saw yet?

Lee

Nice saw,
You did a good job with the video one handed.:cheers:
You did not sound like a dork
You know I hear everyone call the Chainsaw Wrench, A Swrench.
Its first real name was. 'T-Wrench' ;)

can i put a 797 cylinder on my d44?

The intake configuration is quite different, but if you make a diligent search I believe you will find a thread where someone put an SP125 engine in a gear drive saw and had to make a similar modification.

The D-44 had the third port (as do all of the other saws up through the 795), the 797 and SP105/125 do not have the third port so the intake is different but can be made to fit.

Now, who put that thread together??? Was that you CPR? Maybe it was Leeha?

Mark

Latest posts

Back