McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a 797, I had emailed the seller the first
time it was on the bay and they confirmed
the number on the bottom of the block was
66251 which is a 797. So start tracking them
parts down and git er in some wood.

Lee

Cool deal, last night it was in Jacksonville Fl., should be here soon. Where would I find the decomp valve? Bob Johnson? Didnt see anything on ebay or Chainsawr.com. Guess I need to track down an IPL too.

Cool deal, last night it was in Jacksonville Fl., should be here soon. Where would I find the decomp valve? Bob Johnson? Didnt see anything on ebay or Chainsawr.com. Guess I need to track down an IPL too.

Yes, Try Bob Johnson or Discount Marine in Michigan.
If they don't have it i have a couple more sources.

Since you will be changing that case you might want
to replace the points and condenser since you will
have them out.

Lee

Mark
That weird 300 series has a handle I had on one of my Eager Beavers, I think a 2.1. Sorta looks like a beaver tail, especially on the bottom. Gives you way too much leverage for the flimsy part of the handle around the front mount, and I speak from experience on that...

I think that's a Mac340. It was also covered in my Dad's Mac320 owner's manual. Only dif between the two is the funky rear handle setup on the 340 (as opposed to the top handle on the 320). 2.2ci. 16" bar. Chain brake. Damn sharpening stone and funky chain. Fragile starters, and a chainbrake handle that's WAY too big. Other than that, they're decent for what they are. Dad's still goes with me sometimes for windfall limbing duty...:givebeer:

Someone had converted it to a Tillotson carburetor, I will see if I have the necessary linkages to switch it back to the original McCulloch flat back.
Would the linkage on a flatback on a 250 be the same? I know nothing about the flatbacks, except they look complicated

Brian - The engine parts would be the same as the 33/35 model saws. Beyond that I have no idea as this is the first one I've had in my possesion. I am hoping that I can just clean it up a bit and try to make everything work after a fashion, I don't think I will be taking it into the woods with me.

Lee - I let Marty (Kingsley) run it at Baraboo since he didn't have an entry in the over 5 In³ class. It still needs some additional run time and fine tuning to make it right. I may have to pull the carburetor and go through it if some running doesn't clear things up. This saw had been doing a lot more sitting that running for a while. I did come up with a better bar and chain than I had in Baraboo so I expect it will be better when I get a chance to use it. I have a large dead maple on the project list, now it just comes down to time...

Cliff - I don't know exactly how the bar looks, I haven't even looked at it except to put the bar on but the bracket that slips over the bar studs engages the adjuster. I may have a closer look this week.

Jeff /Eccentric- I did look through my IPL's and it does appear to be a 340, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I noticed the mechanism for the auto sharpen in the clutch cover. It just so happens I have a stone and one of the auto sharp chains in my possesion, I may try to put it together just to say I have one.

Zach - I don't think the linkages are alike at all since the 250 and the 640 are very different style saws. I have a small bin with an assortment of linkages and hope I can find one that will work. I do have another 640 with the McCulloch carburetor so at least I have an example to refer to. Actually the McCulloch flat back carburetor is not really that different from a Tillotson HL, just not as familiar to many folk. The primers can be a nuisance, but I managed to get several NOS units earlier this year and with a good primer, starting the saw is a pretty simple task.

Mark

Last edited:
Here's some pics of my McCulloch 77. These are the pics that the seller sent me (though resized.......as they were HUGE) before I picked up the saw. I'll shoot some more once I rescue the digi camera from the Mrs. Right now the primer works well enough that it fires on the first or second pull. It runs great for a second or two......then falls on its face once the primer 'mist' is ran through. That is an improvement though.....as when I first got the saw I fueled it up and could only get it to run if I spritzed mix down the throat. Primer resurected itself sometime in the week period after I fueled it up and set it on the shelf. Gonna carefuly crack open the 'diaphragm chamber' section of the carb system and clean 'er out. In the process of obtaining the small bits that this saw is missing from fellows on this board. The saw actualy looks better now than it did when they shot those pics, just from a quick wipedown with a WD40 soaked rag...:popcorn:

DSC00555.jpg

DSC00552.jpg

DSC00554.jpg

I have a like new SP81 with a bad P/C and got hold of a PM850 with a very good P/C but with a lot of cosmetic damage.

Does someone know if the engine can be swapped ? Both are 82cc as I can see. Any tips appreciated.
roland

Randy pointed out already that there was a good chance a swap would be possible.

I took the short block of the PM850 to rebuilt the super pro 81.

There are quite a few small differences between them :

- different AV bottom plate and handle
- different oiler and linkage
- the SP81 had points, while the 850 was electronic
- different muffler but same mount
- different clutch cover

but all the rest was pretty much the same.

So I ended up with a superb SP81 with electronic ignition, sporting an 850 short block and oiler. I could not keep the 81 manual oiler because of a (in the way) casted stud on the short block. The 24" bar I had makes it perfect. A sweet runner with lots of grunt. I really like this saw.

sp81dsmall.jpg

sp81bsmall.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that is quite a beast !

Yes it is. Listed as 29 pounds without bar.................and it feels every bit of it...

Surprisingly, it's a relatively compact design, and balances pretty well with the 26-28ish inch bar and that huge 9/16" chain. Compression is stout, with no 'sissy switch' (comp release). The damn thing is an engineering marvel. I can see why they listed for something like $500 back in 1957...:givebeer:

Roland, you put together pretty much the best stuff, looks great. Where are the full wraps?

Full wraps are for girls and retired rednecks.....:hmm3grin2orange:

in this part of the world, where only hardwoods and normal size trees grow...full wraps are rarer than hen's teeth. To be honoust, I hope to meet a real logger one day who can show me the benefit of a full wrap... I still don't get it really.

I found another SP125 this week and no full wrap either...as usual.

Full wraps are for girls and retired rednecks.....:hmm3grin2orange:

in this part of the world, where only hardwoods and normal size trees grow...full wraps are rarer than hen's teeth. To be honoust, I hope to meet a real logger one day who can show me the benefit of a full wrap... I still don't get it really.

I found another SP125 this week and no full wrap either...as usual.

Well Randy doesn't look like a girl to me (although there is that one pic with the hat....) so that kind of narrows it down. Redneck isn't an insult out here BTW...:givebeer:

Well Randy doesn't look like a girl to me (although there is that one pic with the hat....) so that kind of narrows it down. Redneck isn't an insult out here BTW...:givebeer:

You can poke the older guys in the eye sometimes but they will just return a big smile at ya, knowing that they outsmart you by a mile....LOLOL

Dear Roland,

If you have any more saws with full wraps that are just getting in your way, I would be more than happy to take them off your hands.

See if you recognize any saws in the photo above.

Mark

Mark, I think I remember that second one from the right, but I am not sure.
BTW, I still have some room for big yellow saws...so they don't get in the way yet. I found another SP125 all yellow this week. I'm still hesitating to part it out for the like new SP125C project I showed you during your last visit, or still wait for parts....we'll see.

your action pics at the Baraboo show were impressive. I surely would have liked being there.

Brian - The engine parts would be the same as the 33/35 model saws. Beyond that I have no idea as this is the first one I've had in my possesion. I am hoping that I can just clean it up a bit and try to make everything work after a fashion, I don't think I will be taking it into the woods with me.

Mark

Mark, I don't think the parts Brian needs for his 797
are the same as a 33 or 35. They are totally different
models.

Lee

Mark's 640 Bow

Enjoyed seeing the 640 bow as it brings back lots of memories. Sad to report that one of my brothers called just minutes ago to report he has been unable to find my father's bow. Knowing my dad, he probably threw it away thirty years ago so none of his boys would get hurt with it. Ron

Been VERY busy, I see everyone's made 797-UP yours! Awesome, enjoy them boys, you 2 have earned them. Just 4 more weeks until saws go back on the front burner...

Back