McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be anything from a 1-41 to a 300. I would lean toward a late model 250 or 300 with the short black top cover and black clutch cover. The 1/2 wrap bar suggest it is not a 1-50 Series saw.

In any case it is most likely an 80 cc saw with lots of parts that will interchange. I am guessing from the buttons on the back of the saw it has the McCulloch flat back style carburetor with primer.

The oil cap has been replaced by something other than the stock version.

Mark

thanks Mark....Now if I can get a response from the seller. If it is a 250 I am thinking the tag is in the air box. is that correct?

here's a few flemish (dutch) specs on the sp81, 250S and 550S...the number speak for themselves but if anyone want a translate, just let's hear it.

SP81spec.jpg

250.jpg

250spec.jpg

Does a Super 550 have the same type of flatback carb (with choke instead of primer) that the Super 250 has? That Dutch brochure has the same wording in the carburetor section for both saws...

Last edited:
I will give it a shot-

TRILLINGVRIJ - Thrilling for anyone with the family name Vrij for Vrijens
GEWIGHT - Gee, this things weighs a lot
CYLINDER - A little help guys...
BORING IN SCHLAG - Roland you are a family guy, you should be ashamed of yourself
INHOUD - HOLY COW IT'S ALMOST 82 CUBIC CENTIMETERS
STARTER - I give up, that one is just too difficult for me
CARBURATUER - Very similar to the strange French word for carburetor, DIAPHRAGM TYPE WITH CHOKE!!! WORKS IN ALL POSITIONS!!!
MENGVERHOUDING - Should not be operated if you are suffering from a hangover, particularly if you blood alcohol level is >40:1
INHOUD BENZINETANK - Cup holder for Belgian beer, limit 45.59 In³
KETTINGSMERRING - Chain oiler, automatic with manual override
INHOUD OLIETANK - For ladies beers only, 9.43157 ounces
KETTING - Chain, .375 Pitch, .058 Gauge, no Mac Bastards here
TANDWIEL - McCulloch EZ Rim non replaceable rim type sprocket in 3/8 Pitch wtih seven TEETH

Well, how did I do?

Mark

Last edited:
Does a Super 550 have the same type of flatback carb (with choke instead of primer) that the Super 250 has? That Dutch brochure has the same wording in the carburetor section for both saws...

That is the way they are described in the McCulloch Carburetor Guide. I know you are thinking they should be different to account for the 87 vs 103 cc displacement, but in fact the same Tillotson HL or McCulloch carburetor will work on almost any saw from 72 cc (D-44) up through 103 cc (S550, 795).

Mark

While I'm askin' Mac questions...

That is the way they are described in the McCulloch Carburetor Guide. I know you are thinking they should be different to account for the 87 vs 103 cc displacement, but in fact the same Tillotson HL or McCulloch carburetor will work on almost any saw from 72 cc (D-44) up through 103 cc (S550, 795).

Mark

Thanks Mark. I wasn't concerned about the extra CC's and that carb. I know that Homelite used basicaly the same HL on many saws from 4.3 to 6.1 cubic inches. Was just hoping that the Super 550 had the same style carby as the Super 250, as I HATE primer carbs. Also, I imagine it'd be easier to retrofit the Super 550 to an HL (as I'd probably do with a Super 250) if 'flatback issues' rear their ugly head (since the Super 250 style choke-equipped flatback saws already have choke linkage). I love Tillotsons. That settles it. The Super 250 and the Super 550 are both on my "list"...:givebeer:

Besides a few cc's, what are the differences (if any) between a regular 550 and a Super 550? Is it ported more agressively, like a Super 250 vs a regular 250? So the 795 came with an HL instead of a flatback? Guess that's on "the list" too, especialy if it's an "L" (or I make an "L" out of it).

Thanks for letting me pick your brain. Didja see the McCulloch 77 pics I put up?

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=2412215&postcount=2969

Last edited:
I did see the photo's, the 77 is a real beast of a saw. I do hope to add one to my collection one day. I did have a chance to run my "new" Super 797 this week and will say it does have a lot of guts, but I still think the SP125 may be a bit faster.

I am going under the assumption that the 103 cc Super 550 has some more aggressive porting than the 99 cc 550, but I don't have anything to back that up. In the case of the 797 I think the biggest difference between the 797 and the Super 797 was thin rings for the 797, and thick rings for the Super; again I am not sure that is so but I believe I have it straight.

Randy Mac, our local Super 250 evangelist is absolutely sure that the Super has a lot more going for it than a mere additional 7 cc's.

I think JJ could set us straight if he every gets back from managing land and fighting fires.

If you ever give up on a flat back, please feel free to direct it to me. I am getting to the point where I am more familiar and comfortable with them than with the HL's.

Mark

Last edited:
I did see the photo's, the 77 is a real beast of a saw. I do hope to add one to my collection one day. I did have a chance to run my "new" Super 797 this week and will say it does have a lot of guts, but I still think the SP125 may be a bit faster.

I am going under the assumption that the 103 cc Super 550 has some more aggressive porting than the 99 cc 550, but I don't have anything to back that up. In the case of the 797 I think the biggest difference between the 797 and the Super 797 was thin rings for the 797, and thick rings for the Super; again I am not sure that is so but I believe I have it straight.

Randy Mac, our local Super 250 evangelist is absolutely sure that the Super has a lot more going for it than a mere additional 7 cc's.

I think JJ could set us straight if he every gets back from managing land and fighting fires.

Mark

Reading through a previous post by JJ I thought the Super had the thin rings. While we are on the subject how do you identify thin rings. The 797 I just got looks to have thin rings but I have never seen them to know for sure.
JJ's post
"I got a little time while my lasagna is cooking, so here goes:

The 797 engine was birthed from the 101b yes, but the timing is not quite the same but close to a 101b. If you look at the piston, you'll see it's identical to that in the 101b. Later pistons from other 101 motors can't be easily interchanged without changing the rod as well, since there were minor variations in the crown height of the piston(s). There's a 101 piston with windows that's timed for the boost port blocks that works well in the 797 with the corresponding rod. There's a rod that's proprietary to the 101b, 101d, and 101AA that can be used in the 797 if you have the matching piston.

The 797 is part of the family of "Super Series" engines which include some of the kart engines and saw engines. The 797 blocks have the removable boost port "window" which later became boost ports actually cast into the block, seen on later kart engines and 125 saw motors. The 797 block is not a third-port block like the Mc20 kart engine or D44 saw motor.

Main 797 features: removable boost port window, bridged exhaust, hemispherical combustion chamber, horizontal-mounted coil, DSP-style compression release, right-hand start, moderately aggressive intake and transfer timing, same stuffer as stock 101b motor (w/cut-out for pulse oiling), crank w/bolt-on weights, and kart-mount style exhaust. The 797 Super would have the updated main bearings, different carb (usually SDC?), thin-ring piston.

The CP-125 block has the cast boost ports, slightly smaller combustion chamber, bridged exhaust, less aggressive intake and transfer timing, horizontal-mount coil, kart-mount style exhaust, single-reed intake manifold, and straight compression release. The piston in the CP motors should have cut-outs for the boost ports and came in both thin and thick-ring. The CP rod would use the 1/2" wrist pin with needle rollers in the piston rather than in the rod. The CP blocks are all steel sleeve blocks as are the 797s.

The SP-125 block has the large oval-shaped exhaust port (longest blow-down time of any of the saw blocks) w/different exhaust mounting, larger combustion chamber, lower intake and transfer timing, dual-reed intake manifold, diagonal-mounted ignition, and "hockey-puck" piston w/no cut-outs for boost ports. The rod in the SP motors uses a 9/16" wrist pin with needle bearings in the rod rather than in the piston. The SP pistons were usually thin-ring. The SP block came in both steel sleeve and chrome-lined bore. The SPs used the straight compression release and the funky squared off muffler with its own proprietary cover. These are not compatible on the Cp and 797 blocks. Cranks on the SPs had the welded-on weights."

The 797 had a piston with a shorter crown hight and thin rings, part number 67089. This required a longer rod.
The Super 797 uses a piston with a taller crown hight part number 69301 that uses thick rings and a shorter rod.
As Jacob stated in previuos posts you can use some of the 101 pistons as long as you use the corresponding rod.
All 797's that i have had apart "which is a few" have all had the welded crank weights, Not the bolt on weights.
I believe the CP125 had the bolt on weights but i haven't had one appart to varify it.
The CP125 also used thick or thin ring pistons. The thick ring is the same part number as the Super 797 69301. The thin ring is part number 69241.

Lee

The intake configuration is quite different, but if you make a diligent search I believe you will find a thread where someone put an SP125 engine in a gear drive saw and had to make a similar modification.

The D-44 had the third port (as do all of the other saws up through the 795), the 797 and SP105/125 do not have the third port so the intake is different but can be made to fit.

Now, who put that thread together??? Was that you CPR? Maybe it was Leeha?

Mark

Mark,

Again, that was me who stuck the 890 chassis on an SP125 motor. I had to cut a plate to block off the 3rd port opening (opening in reed plate circled below) in the 890 airbox. Worked well, no airleaks. Next time, I will use thinner copper stock.

Chris B.

attachment.php

Power Mac 1000

What's a PM1000 in average condition worth? I picked up a big older Mac today at a yard sale for $40 and a bucket of random chains with plenty of life left in them for another 20 bucks. The saw has no model markings or stickers that I can see, but it's a biggun and has "Made in Sweden" on the flywheel side, so I know it's one of the rebranded Partners. It looks just like a 100, but are there any others that used the same design?

I did take a couple pics of it, but I'm away from home for the weekend and can't downsize them on my phone to post them. It has loads of compression and the old guy I bought it from said it ran great when he drained and shelved it a couple years back. Hope that's the case because as I understand it, parts aren't that easy to come by.

How do these beasts compare to other ~100cc saws of the day such as a Husky 2100? Might have to do a side-by-side with mine sometime.

yellow attack...

I found a SP125 last week. it was a runner but compression was not the best. So I parted it out to complete a project 125 which I had sitting for almost a year, missing oil assembly and some other parts.

I am very pleased with the result...she has excellent compression and starts on the first pull, sporting a 24" bar.

sp125c-1.jpg

sp125asmall-1.jpg

no full wrap, sorry Randy...LOL

sp125dsmall.jpg

this is what concrete will do to magnesium....it's the only part of the saw that has serious wear.

sp125brace1.jpg

Back