McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have learned a lot working on these saws. Not just about these old Macs but about engines in general. I have a couple of things to do that have me worried on the 797, but I think everything will roll smoothly. And a kart saw is also on the list for the collection to. Thinking maybe a mc-91/92 Super 250.

I was wanting either a 660 or 895ish. But that will be down the road a little bit. I still have to get past the two I am on. Sounds like some interesting builds for the winter!

I have learned a lot working on these saws. Not just about these old Macs but about engines in general. I have a couple of things to do that have me worried on the 797, but I think everything will roll smoothly. And a kart saw is also on the list for the collection to. Thinking maybe a mc-91/92 Super 250.

So Buddy, What has you worried,
I just finished another Super 797
and have another torn down with
the block at the machine shop for
a .030 over bore. This is my last
carcass. So pick my brain while i'm
still fresh on these 797's.
I can do a step by step assembly if
you would like.

Lee

Fortunately for me I am not making a living with this set up. So I was going for COOL. I do have a smaller bar to put on it for general cutting. I am justifying all this with the saw was never practical to begin with.:clap:

The only two things that have me worried are, 1 wrist pin install (have already done that before just a nerve wracking process for me) and 2 is the decomp rod. It is looking like I may have to shave it, wont know until I have everything in front of me though. I am always nervous with things that require precision.

ok Lee

I have this
McC797001-1.jpg

McC797003.jpg

McC797002.jpg

and this

650top.jpg

650bottom.jpg

and these

P1010304.jpg

FBstar.jpg

The only two things that have me worried are, 1 wrist pin install (have already done that before just a nerve wracking process for me) and 2 is the decomp rod. It is looking like I may have to shave it, wont know until I have everything in front of me though. I am always nervous with things that require precision.

The wrist pin install is not hard at all.
I can post pic's when i install mine.
Give you a little bit of an idea with home
made tools.
And what do you meen by shaving the decomp rod.
If you are worried about the tip because your having
it bored, All you have to do is tak a bit off the tip it
it sticks through the hole into the cylinder. If it doesn't
protrude into the cylinder then your all set.

Lee

made tools.
And what do you mean by shaving the decomp rod.
it bored, All you have to do is take a bit off the tip if

Lee

made tools.
And what do you mean by shaving the decomp rod.
it bored, All you have to do is take a bit off the tip if

Lee

I would like to see your tools for the wrist pin install. Last time I used a socket and brass hammer. As for the decomp rod, Mark was saying he read in a manual that you should shave half of the over bore off the rod. The only thing that really has me apprehensive is if you have to have it flush to the cylinder wall or slightly recessed. If you do getting it right is the problem.

I would like to see your tools for the wrist pin install. Last time I used a socket and brass hammer. As for the decomp rod, Mark was saying he read in a manual that you should shave half of the over bore off the rod. The only thing that really has me apprehensive is if you have to have it flush to the cylinder wall or slightly recessed. If you do getting it right is the problem.

I wouldn't worry about the decomp pin
being recessed a hair. Better to be in than
protruding into the cylinder.
Remember this, The saw will only see active
duty once in awhile. Not like it's going logging
full time and the chance of the hole getting
plugged in your life time would be rare.

Lee

Unfortunately you are correct. It will not be used on a frequent basis. But I will try my best to find reasons to use it.

I'm constantly eyeballing standing and downed trees as I drive along. Lots of BIG downed oaks in my area. Might have to start knocking on some doors soon. "So.....................whatcha doin' with that old tree that fell over? Mind if I cut it up?":givebeer:

Nice score. That's a bar for special occasions. We're badly infected with Yellow Fever here. Spreads quickly due to all the carriers here....:dizzy::cheers::dizzy:

I'm constantly eyeballing standing and downed trees as I drive along. Lots of BIG downed oaks in my area. Might have to start knocking on some doors soon. "So.....................whatcha doin' with that old tree that fell over? Mind if I cut it up?":givebeer:

I am afraid that not only am I infected but am contagious and helping spread it too. :cheers: I live in a pretty urban area, really the only big trees around are next to a house and surrounded by power lines. I have talked to a local tree service about cutting up some wood they have laying around in the back. So I will be able to get out and use it occasionally. Kind of hoping if go there enough to cut wood up they will give me a job.

Back