McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mcculloch carbs a horrible!

Took a good many KEYSTONE LIGHTS but got her done!

Stihl 090 (HL244A) carb works great on Mcculloch saws larger then 80cc!
I have installed it on a 1-61, 1-81 and a 1-86!

That may have been common knowledge, but let me enjoy this buzz!

P.S. Throttle cable will cut ya, and is un-forgiving if not wearing leather gloves!!!!!! Another words, steal your neighbors throttle cable off there lawn mowers!

Hey Randy. This be my 795th post!!!

As in McCulloch 795. That's a good sign...:cheers:

Just won a 54" roller nose bar for it and it comes with a new 3/8s chain. It has .404 rim on it, but I cant see waisting a new chain.

Damn you've got the bug bad Brian. Just bought a 54" roller nose eh? Linky to the auction por favor...

If it was me (and it ain't......so don't pay me no mind. Do whatcha want) I'd save that monster loop 'o' 3/8th chain and spin some smaller loops fer the 10-10 and other small saws in the stable out of it. Make another order with Baileys and getcha a .404 loop for it or two. Big saws take big chains.

Wow, did not know rims were standard. Just went and tried the 7t off my 044 and fits perfectly. Learn something new everyday. Off to find a 8 or 9t rim now.

There are something like three 'standard' rim sizes. There's the little Stihl size (which is mostly on the older Stihl rim drive drums such as what's on me 031AV. There's the 7/8" rim drive that is the most common with real saws..........and there's one more that I forget right now. Baileys and others carry rim sprockets fer all of them...

I will put a .404 back on it when that chain is wore out, I just cant see not using a brand new chain. And just for my piece of mind .375 is 3/8s right. Might be a dumb question, but looking through Baileys I found 3/8s 7t and .375 8t.

Standard 3/8th chain is indeed .375". There's also "3/8th Low Profile" (3/8-LP) which is sometimes called .365". Not the same as standard 3/8" .375".

P.S. Throttle cable will cut ya, and is un-forgiving if not wearing leather gloves!!!!!! Another words, steal your neighbors throttle cable off there lawn mowers!

Almost forgot!
I hate Mccullochs!

Figures that a roller-chain drive, 990G-wannabe saw lubber would be big on Keystone Light. "Bottled beer taste in a can".............yeah right. Consumed way to much of that in my 20's. Gonna call you "Keith Stone" from now on Matt:monkey:.

I'll pay for you to ship those big Macs and their bars to me for disposal since you hate them so much. Nice drunken post ramblings. I haven't done that in a few weeks or so. Eccentric is genuinely impressed...:clap::givebeer:

Last edited:
Don't anger the McCulloch Gods, their vengence is terrible.

There already scoring me with there pressed pistons, raised 2 piece carb intakes and carb set-ups.
I will hopefully be able to sacrifice some wood soon and pees them!

Figures that a roller-chain drive, 990G-wannabe saw lubber would be big on Keystone Light. "Bottled beer taste in a can".............yeah right. Consumed way to much of that in my 20's. Gonna call you "Keith Stone" from now on Matt:monkey:.

I'll pay for you to ship those big Macs and their bars to me for disposal since you hate them so much. Nice drunken post ramblings. I haven't done that in a few weeks or so. Eccentric is genuinely impressed...:clap::givebeer:

I will accept the name Key Stone! LOL!
But to be true to it, I am now in my 30's!!!
I am not a quitter!!!!

That's KEITH Stone.....

I will accept the name Key Stone! LOL!
But to be true to it, I am now in my 30's!!!
I am not a quitter!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqPX12_tVL8

I moved on. Drank gallons of KSL, Coors, Coors Light, High Life, Bud, Bud Light, MGD, Henry Weinharts, Natural Light (Lord forgive me), and other beers that are now a thankfuly dim memory during my late teens and early 20s.

Now I'm big on various ales, laggers, stouts, and such (when I'm not holding a glass of good whiskey, bourbon, or scotch). Thankfuly I never got burnt out on PBR, as I wasn't 'over exposed' to it. Still enjoy a good COLD PBR. Haven't had an Olympia in about 15 years (or more). Could go for one of those for old time's sake...:cheers:

This HL244, doe's it have the low intake.
And how doe's the throttle and choke hookup.
I might need a few.

Lee

As in McCulloch 795. That's a good sign...:cheers:

Damn you've got the bug bad Brian. Just bought a 54" roller nose eh? Linky to the auction por favor...

If it was me (and it ain't......so don't pay me no mind. Do whatcha want) I'd save that monster loop 'o' 3/8th chain and spin some smaller loops fer the 10-10 and other small saws in the stable out of it. Make another order with Baileys and getcha a .404 loop for it or two. Big saws take big chains.
Here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140457343428&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Yeah I got the bug......I have heard it is futile to fight it, so I stopped resisting.

Bri, I'd bet a fifth of JD you wouldn't have thought that you would be elbow deep in old chainsaws a year ago. I should try to pawn a 200 off on ya.

You would be correct, a year ago I was afraid to mess with anything with points. Everybody here is a bad influence on me:). My wife told me so.

Is someone having a bad day.
Mccullochs are easy, once you've
done 3 or 4.

Lee

Would have to agree here. I enjoy working on the Mcculloch saws - I guess it always boils down to what you are used to. My first McCulloch saw experience came in the form of a very worn SP125C, and I really enjoyed the job of cleaning it up and making the engine fresh again. The hunt for parts (as a new member of the saw collecting fraternity) was a real challenge, however various members of this site and others pointed me in the right direction and I was able to complete the build.

As Mark has stated previously, many of the McCulloch models share the same components, making it possible to complete a project which otherwise might have been a needle in the hay stack chance.

Once you have been 'around' a Mac or three, you will have the basics worked out in the way of disassembly and assembly techniques. The flatback primer carbs offer another dimension to the challenge of getting a vintage McCulloch engine running properly ( I have been guilty of swapping out a primer leaking flatback for a tilly) and as designed with the working primer assy.

I have a little army of the big bore McCullochs to my name at present, and I wouldn't want to swap any one of these saws for another in the world.

Regards,

Chris.

[
You would be correct, a year ago I was afraid to mess with anything with points. Everybody here is a bad influence on me:). My wife told me so.

I have enjoyed your threads Brian - It is always nice to see some fine old saws on their way back to operation again. I am really looking forward toettin seeing the 797 in action. I am sure you will have learned so much whilst working with these engines: definitely a rewarding experience, and great that it was able to be shared with us.

I am looking forward to getting a hotrod in my Mcculloch stable - something in the form of a 101B / SP125 frame will arrive in the not too distant future...

Bring on that 797!

Regards,

Chris.

I agree, they seem a lot more complicated apart than they are. Once you track down all the parts, assembly is not too bad. I have enjoyed my builds so far, and really like running them. I pretty much have all the must haves for me but I will probably end up with more.:clap: So Randy dont try too hard to pawn that saw off on me, my will is week. I need a gear drive to round off my collection.

Back