McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll give it till next week anyhow because I do not dare ask my wife to swing out there tonight on our way home since it is our anniversary.

I have no need for another small old top handle saw since I already have 4. But cool to have an older mac with good paint nonetheless.

Saws are funny around here. They either sell the first day or people sit on them a LONG time. I bought a 268 Husky missing a recoil and oil cap last year for $35 bucks. Granted that fellow insisted on phone calls- he didn't text and would not answer PM's so I am sure that repelled a few potential buyers.

Ok you 10-10 series lovers. After years of running these babies and repairing them I have finally come up with a valid part number for the replacement gasket for the fuel tank. I know what you're thinking, there is one and it's cork but I now have one and it's rubber. I just hope that they now don't run out. It is a ford tractor part number D7NN 3D587 A. It is a perfect fit. The trouble I had came to light today when I went to use one of my 7-10 saws and the tank was leaking with the cork in place and intact. Having been a Ford Tractor mechanic I had a few gasket kits laying in my shop. I was recently going through the drawers and noticed the kits in there and the gaskets. I tried a few until I came to this one and almost wet myself with joy. I hope you guys will try it out when you run into your next tank leak problem and let me know how you made out.

For what it's worth... that part number supersedes to #83911588. I'm interested to see how it holds up also. Being in Australia getting Viton seals over here, the freight is worth more than the seal! Also i work at a Case IH dealer, so these seals could be cost effective!

For what it's worth... that part number supersedes to #83911588. I'm interested to see how it holds up also. Being in Australia getting Viton seals over here, the freight is worth more than the seal! Also i work at a Case IH dealer, so these seals could be cost effective!

Got a mate at a new Holland dealer soo I'm rather interested too. Will flick him that number tomorrow and see what he comes up with

Got a mate at a new Holland dealer soo I'm rather interested too. Will flick him that number tomorrow and see what he comes up with
I let the saw sit overnight with a full tank of fuel and this morning there was no sign of leakage or seepage. That's test #1, now to see how it holds up under use and longevity. I'll keep you all posted.

"Had so much compression i could barely pull it over"
Yet has a completely garbage piston and cylinder and wont begin to hold itself by the rope.

You've bid on those too eh? :nofunny:

Got a spike from Goinwheelin on the (new to me) 7-10 today, after getting some other issues sorted out (clutch and rubbed through brake band). That spike is mean lookin', can't wait to try it out! Truly appreciate it sir. Pretty sure you could sell those all day long on ebay. customchainsawparts does, but he's kind of a jerk. As far as I can tell, you're good people - but I don't know you all that well... :laugh:

My only warning with this is to others with chain brakes: if you have the clutch cover off, and the brake handle pops forward, the top tooth will put a nice pin-stripe on the inside of the brake handle. Not complaining, still love the spike. Just a heads up.

20200723_225734.jpg20200723_225449.jpg20200723_225606.jpg

You've bid on those too eh? :nofunny:

Got a spike from Goinwheelin on the (new to me) 7-10 today, after getting some other issues sorted out (clutch and rubbed through brake band). That spike is mean lookin', can't wait to try it out! Truly appreciate it sir. Pretty sure you could sell those all day long on ebay. customchainsawparts does, but he's kind of a jerk. As far as I can tell, you're good people - but I don't know you all that well... :laugh:

My only warning with this is to others with chain brakes: if you have the clutch cover off, and the brake handle pops forward, the top tooth will put a nice pin-stripe on the inside of the brake handle. Not complaining, still love the spike. Just a heads up.

View attachment 844390View attachment 844391View attachment 844392

Certainly is a beastly looking spike. Be good on the thick bark tree's

Should have read "can't" rather than "can"...

510 handle won't fit a Mini Mac as the housings are different but as noted, the 155/165 handle will mount directly in the Mini Mac models to provide a rear handle.

I only used the lathe for cleaning the tanks, once the Red Kote is added you just rotate slowly by hand then leave it setting in each direction for a few minutes then reposition.

Mark

Regarding the Ford gasket from earlier for the 10 series saws. I put in 2 hours of bucking with the 7-10 with the rubber gasket (o-ring), Filled the tank once during the bucking, that's different. No leakage that I can see or smell. Next test is longevity. We'll just have to wait and see with that test.

It's just so... beautiful. :cry: I may have peed a little when this bar showed up today. I had to file out the bar groove a hair (it's for 8mm studs), which honestly it took me a few minutes talk myself into taking a file to this new bar. I've got a new respect for my Simonds multi-kut though. Couldn't run this today though unfortunately - got a severe rope burn on my right hand this morning. Looks like I wrapped my fingers around a hot soldering iron.

What can I say - it's been an emotional day! :laugh:

20200725_233814.jpg

Ordered it with a loop because it seems an odd link count (96) and the only other option I saw when quickly looking was Raisman. In other words, I didn't look all that hard but I couldn't quickly find a 96 link Oregon full chisel. This is Archer chain, which I've read various reviews about but have no experience with yet. From what I've read, it's not terrible, but I'm not happy with that grind (sorry, blurry pic). That gullet needs some attention pronto.

20200725_233928.jpg

BTW, if we have any "file people" around, I wouldn't mind a couple minutes of your time on the side to talk about files.

Next test is longevity. We'll just have to wait and see with that test.
The obvious keys there will be what the material actually is and how much ethanol exposure it will see. Any way to research the material through the supplier?

It's just so... beautiful. :cry: I may have peed a little when this bar showed up today. I had to file out the bar groove a hair (it's for 8mm studs), which honestly it took me a few minutes talk myself into taking a file to this new bar. I've got a new respect for my Simonds multi-kut though. Couldn't run this today though unfortunately - got a severe rope burn on my right hand this morning. Looks like I wrapped my fingers around a hot soldering iron.

What can I say - it's been an emotional day! :laugh:

View attachment 844806

Ordered it with a loop because it seems an odd link count (96) and the only other option I saw when quickly looking was Raisman. In other words, I didn't look all that hard but I couldn't quickly find a 96 link Oregon full chisel. This is Archer chain, which I've read various reviews about but have no experience with yet. From what I've read, it's not terrible, but I'm not happy with that grind (sorry, blurry pic). That gullet needs some attention pronto.

View attachment 844807

BTW, if we have any "file people" around, I wouldn't mind a couple minutes of your time on the side to talk about files.

As far as files go it depends on what you're doing with them. We or rather I get alot of chains with scrap price saws and if its rusty or burnt I want an aggressive file to remove alot of material as well as reshape the profile of the cutter.20200726_090005.jpg20200726_090002.jpg20200726_085952.jpg
New stihl files cut pretty fast on a mild chain because I think stihl chain is pretty hard. I reshaped the gullet and angle on the Homelite 38 with a 13/64ths stihl file .
New chain off the roll sometimes requires shaping, 20200725_181538.jpg
This is .404 I reshaped with a 1/4" Oregon file .
Being new chain I don't have to break a rust layer and don't have any tempered spots from heat or grinder novices.
On a quick in the field sharpening I usually just touch up a chain and can use an old one or a husqvarna which I've found to be a finer file. If a chain has found some metal in a tree I'll just swap in out when I'm on the job and see if I can rehab it when I get home.

With a sharp chain , cherry log .

vizette - What are the numbers on that bar? It certainly appears to be wide enough to look correct on that saw.

On another topic, I spoke with my Engineer last week and he basically started over on the 300 Series air box cover with the good example to work from. I am hoping to have the new drawing on hand next week.

Mark

Back