McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joey, as Mark stated the A, B, C designates different diameter pistons with A being the smallest and C beginning the largest. I noted in my IPLs that the PM805 only lists a "B". I know of no difference between a non DSP 800 cylinder and a 8200 cylinder but that doesn't mean that I am not missing something. I recall a eBay sale that stated a difference in the number of muffler bolts between the models but my IPLs all show 4 bolts. 8200 crank (3 piece), rod (solid), and piston (single bearing with c-clips) are unique. Wrist pin for 8200 although illustrated and numbered has no part number listed so it may be part of an assembly. Ron

I believe the A, B & C sizes were all related to close manufacturing tolerances not to any specific cylinder design. I see pictures of modern other make pistons on AS all the time and none seem to have the fine casting of the MAC pistons; I doubt anyone else tried to match tolerances the way MAC did on these 82cc saws but that is only my guess. Ron

Why do you think that most of the IPL's show the cylinders being "C"? Are you saying that the assemblers of those motors would select one of three pistons for the best fit?

Hey fellas that's some great information on the 82cc series. My low hour PM 800 is not equpped with compression release, however I noticed in Ron's pictures that his 800 is equipped with the finger tip preservation button...........LOL!!!

Ron, was that the factory version, or was that the result of your rebuild?

NOS 82cc Mac Parts

I have a #92450D "Cylinder/Piston Kit". I don't have the original box however. The #93453-R1 Instruction Sheet (in FIVE languages) states that this kit is a service replacement for Sp-80, SP-81, SP81E, and PM850 saws.

My kit contains an unpainted 'A' stamped cylinder (with no other numbers stamped on it, an no tag), a lower crankcase/oil tank (painted), a #92518 'A' piston assembly with thin rings, the "parts of a direct action manual oil pump" (pick up line, pump body, pushrod, etc...which the instructions state MUST be used with this replacement cylinder/short block), and #93382 spacer and #110993 screw for mounting certain coil lamination assemblies on the cylinder.

IMG_6039.jpg

Here's an old pic of my "kit", sent to me by the guy that I received the kit from. The wrong piston (#92520 'C' piston) is in this pic. That got sorted out and I now have the 'A' application #92518 piston.

I have a #92450D "Cylinder/Piston Kit". I don't have the original box however. The #93453-R1 Instruction Sheet (in FIVE languages) states that this kit is a service replacement for Sp-80, SP-81, SP81E, and PM850 saws.

My kit contains an unpainted 'A' stamped cylinder (with no other numbers stamped on it, an no tag), a lower crankcase/oil tank (painted), a #92518 'A' piston assembly with thin rings, the "parts of a direct action manual oil pump" (pick up line, pump body, pushrod, etc...which the instructions state MUST be used with this replacement cylinder/short block), and #93382 spacer and #110993 screw for mounting certain coil lamination assemblies on the cylinder.

IMG_6039.jpg

Here's an old pic of my "kit", sent to me by the guy that I received the kit from. The wrong piston (#92520 'C' piston) is in this pic. That got sorted out and I now have the 'A' application #92518 piston.

Thanks for that part number. I will edit the post and put that info in with the other.

IMG_6039.jpg

Nice looking parts, you could almost piece together a saw around those pieces!

I know where a kit like that is for sale. $150 with no piston. It's just the cylinder and case. I left it alone, that's a high price for me.

Joey

Why do you think that most of the IPL's show the cylinders being "C"? Are you saying that the assemblers of those motors would select one of three pistons for the best fit?

I believe the IPLs usally referenced the "B" cylinder. The "C" you are referring to is an abbreviation for "crank" - i.e. copied from PM800 IPL: (71 215713 1 Cylinder/C'Case/Piston Asy "B") equals part 71 on illustration, part number 215713, quantity - one cylinder/crank case, "B" piston. PM805 lists on the part number for the "B" piston and its cylinder is listed (70 215713 1 Kit - Cylinder - c'case, piston). The DE80 lists on the "A" piston and its cylinder is listed (67 215713 1 Kit - Cylinder-C'case, Piston).

From what I have read of different sources the pre-DE80 & 8200 cylinders cylinders were matched to either an "A", "B" or "C" piston based upon the finished cylinder bore. I can't lay my hands on it right now but MAC literature also points out that an unmarked cylinder is to be considered a "B" cylinder. I don't know the overlap of the models with the sale(s) of MAC corporate but it seem clear that manufacturing efficiencies were being sought. Ron

Oh yeah, that makes sense. I was too hung up on the lettering of the P&C's to see the abbreviation.

Maybe I should get a few pics of that 8200 cylinder and see if you guys notice something different about it. I couldn't see the difference from the PM800 or DE80. I'm relying on memory though since I don't have a cylinder handy to compare.

Pm 55

I tried to start my Pro Mac 55 for the first time in about 2 years, I filled it up with fuel and bar oil and yanked on the cord several times and it wouldn't hit a lick, so I decided to give it a little prime. I took the air filter cover off and the carburetor area was full of gas mix! I couldn't figure out why the leak because it did well last time I ran it. I took the tank apart because it was wet toward the back and resealed it with Motoseal then took the carb off, cleaned it and put new gaskets in it. I put it back together and it did the same thing! Filled the carb box full of fuel again. I didn't replace the fuel line because it looked good and I didn't see any leaks. I'm kinda stuck as to what to try next. Any help appreciated.

I tried to start my Pro Mac 55 for the first time in about 2 years, I filled it up with fuel and bar oil and yanked on the cord several times and it wouldn't hit a lick, so I decided to give it a little prime. I took the air filter cover off and the carburetor area was full of gas mix! I couldn't figure out why the leak because it did well last time I ran it. I took the tank apart because it was wet toward the back and resealed it with Motoseal then took the carb off, cleaned it and put new gaskets in it. I put it back together and it did the same thing! Filled the carb box full of fuel again. I didn't replace the fuel line because it looked good and I didn't see any leaks. I'm kinda stuck as to what to try next. Any help appreciated.

Joe, I'm making the presumption that the tank is not leaking. I have run across a few 10 Series saws lately that leaked around the fuel line passage into the tank. They all looked to have shrunk for some reason.

Here are photos of the PM8200 cylinder.

The intake port is shaped different than the sp80 and 81 cylinders I have handy
u6erymu8.jpg

Here you can see the "Q" port and transfers
qy4eqa3e.jpg

The following pics are showing numbers cast into the block. 82, 5, 22. All three numbers in different locations.
yvyrymy7.jpg

revyma3u.jpg

5e4y5y2a.jpg

Here is a pic of the decomp port that is not drilled.
umaruraj.jpg

Intake port
arudara5.jpg

Exhaust port
nyge8ete.jpg

Here is the 8200 piston on the assembly compared to a A,B,C piston
3yge5yhe.jpg

The next two pics show the differences in the con rod and crank
maba5y4e.jpg

e5ape4y8.jpg

Here are the differences of the block mating surfaces. The two older blocks are 80 and 81 compared to the 8200. You can see the difference in number of bolt holes.
my6epu2y.jpg

Here is the 8200 intake port next to the sp80 port
uhute6up.jpg

It would be interesting if i had the PM800 and DE80 apart for the comparison. Maybe someone can come up with a good pic of those two.

Joey, I believe all of the later model 82cc MACs have the "slot" in the intake. Here are some previously posted shots of an NOS old style and a NOS new style. I sold the old one to a member here. I guess you have found the difference in the 8200 cylinder that I had missed. Ron

PM800 bolt pattern is same as old style.

attachment.php

Old style on left New style on right:

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 256562View attachment 256563View attachment 256564

Latest posts

Back