McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is the Pro Mac? Looks like one but the decals care all off from it. Does not say McCulloch anywhere on it accept for under the carb its got the model number and what not. Any Idea what year range its from too? Thanks! View attachment 255921View attachment 255922View attachment 255923

It looks to be a Pro Mac 10-10S. It was 57cc instead of the usual 54cc .... There's supposed to be a slotted cover portion of the clutch cover over the muffler; see that jagged, irregular edge? It got 'removed' somehow ... here's how it would have looked ..

Aaron, see how I held myself back on this one? LOL!

GEDC0628.jpg

Do any of you think that it would be possible to pool resources and come up with a selection of new production old skool McCullochs based on the 10 series line, as a assemble yourself kit saw? Would be in the same vein as
"open source" for computer software, only applied to a saw. Would possibly skirt all EPA/OSHA rules as it would be a build yourself affair, much like the old Heathkit HAM radios. What say ye?

I tried to come up with a 6 cube variant by boring out some worn cylinders and making a new piston then releasing my findings for everyone to try and maybe make a few sets to sell, but was unsuccessful and have run out of further research funds until hunting season is over then will have another go at it, might have to find a happy medium and settle with 90 or so cc's. There are enough parts out there to be found for someone to restore and sell, but probably not much profit to be made.

[video=youtube;OuA0W9APlbE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuA0W9APlbE[/video]

My favorite 10 series saw is the 5 cube style, I built this CP70L around a PM850 engine.

It looks to be a Pro Mac 10-10S. It was 57cc instead of the usual 54cc .... There's supposed to be a slotted cover portion of the clutch cover over the muffler; see that jagged, irregular edge? It got 'removed' somehow ... here's how it would have looked ..

Aaron, see how I held myself back on this one? LOL!

GEDC0628.jpg

Hey thanks. Yea I bought it at a garage sale and put a new gas line, cleaned the carb, and a new clutch bearing in it. Fired right up too and everything works on it. I could not believe how good it runs too. Put it on craigslist for a reasonable price and no calls at all. Figured i'd keep it for myself. And you are looking for a 10 series? I have a old 10-10 that pulls over very hard. If you want it let me know.

[video=youtube;OuA0W9APlbE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuA0W9APlbE[/video]

My favorite 10 series saw is the 5 cube style, I built this CP70L around a PM850 engine.

Those are my favorite too. It looks like yours isn't breaking a sweat!

I wonder how a 90cc 10-series would be? I bet it would be very noticeable. Will the stock carb and intake be sufficient for 90-100cc?

Hey thanks. Yea I bought it at a garage sale and put a new gas line, cleaned the carb, and a new clutch bearing in it. Fired right up too and everything works on it. I could not believe how good it runs too. Put it on craigslist for a reasonable price and no calls at all. Figured i'd keep it for myself. And you are looking for a 10 series? I have a old 10-10 that pulls over very hard. If you want it let me know.

No surprise that it ran well, 10 Sreies saws are pretty tough. How much $$ did you list it for on CL? Sent you a PM on the old 10-10 ...

No surprise that it ran well, 10 Sreies saws are pretty tough. How much $$ did you list it for on CL? Sent you a PM on the old 10-10 ...

I listed it for $50. It also had a very nice sharp Homelite chain on it too. All greased up and ready to go. I guess people assume these days that just because its old its junk. I guess they will find out the hard way when they go to Wal Mart and buy a Poulan Woodshark for $150 and have it last them for less than a hour.

I listed it for $50. It also had a very nice sharp Homelite chain on it too. All greased up and ready to go. I guess people assume these days that just because its old its junk. I guess they will find out the hard way when they go to Wal Mart and buy a Poulan Woodshark for $150 and have it last them for less than a hour.

You price is more than fair, but that irregualr edge where the muffler cover would go may be scaring off potential buyers.

There are many members here that have quite a bit of old junk that consistenly outperforms many of today's newer saws. :rock:

Those are my favorite too. It looks like yours isn't breaking a sweat!

I wonder how a 90cc 10-series would be? I bet it would be very noticeable. Will the stock carb and intake be sufficient for 90-100cc?

It would be plenty for 90cc, I ran into so many problems with the 100cc head and piston it was as if nothing wanted to work right, low on compression and power but could have been that the transfers were very shallow and the carb insufficient. We were getting to a point where the cylinder was getting thin, I think a new thicker cylinder(more meat around the edges and shallower fins so the transfers can be opened)will be required which may make it too expensive. My machinist is slammed right now and hunting season starts next week so it will have to wait a few months.

I think it is the Pro Mac? Looks like one but the decals care all off from it. Does not say McCulloch anywhere on it accept for under the carb its got the model number and what not. Any Idea what year range its from too? Thanks! View attachment 255921View attachment 255922View attachment 255923

What's the model and serial numbers on the tag in the carb box? That will tell us exactly what you have. It probably is a 10-10S as Ted said, but McCulloch used that same paint scheme on several different 10-series models that look similar to a 10-10S. Could be a PM700, a 10-10S, a PM4300, a PM570, etc.....

It would be plenty for 90cc, I ran into so many problems with the 100cc head and piston it was as if nothing wanted to work right, low on compression and power but could have been that the transfers were very shallow and the carb insufficient. We were getting to a point where the cylinder was getting thin, I think a new thicker cylinder(more meat around the edges and shallower fins so the transfers can be opened)will be required which may make it too expensive. My machinist is slammed right now and hunting season starts next week so it will have to wait a few months.

I can see that the transfers would be too shallow. That makes sense. I guess it's too good to e true, a 6 cube 10-series is only something we dream about. If it gets into a lot of machine work, it will take it out of budget for me and probably many others.

Maybe one day ill get a PM850G built and you'll get that 6-cube built and we'll have very unique saws.

I can see that the transfers would be too shallow. That makes sense. I guess it's too good to e true, a 6 cube 10-series is only something we dream about. If it gets into a lot of machine work, it will take it out of budget for me and probably many others.

Maybe one day ill get a PM850G built and you'll get that 6-cube built and we'll have very unique saws.

I may be working on a SP80G here in the future, hell I need to put together a few PM55's, S10-10's, I have another SP81 that either needs a boot or some carb work, and a PM850 that needs some fresh AV. The pile gets overwhelming some times, not to mention all the other brands I have piling up.

I may be working on a SP80G here in the future, hell I need to put together a few PM55's, S10-10's, I have another SP81 that either needs a boot or some carb work, and a PM850 that needs some fresh AV. The pile gets overwhelming some times, not to mention all the other brands I have piling up.

The gear drive conversion looks tuff. I think you will need a new crank, and the crank case will need machining. It also wouldn't hurt to have new AV on that saw as well. I've only been thinking about that build a I have yet to find a donor for the gear drive.

The gear drive conversion looks tuff. I think you will need a new crank, and the crank case will need machining. It also wouldn't hurt to have new AV on that saw as well. I've only been thinking about that build a I have yet to find a donor for the gear drive.

Have you looked over the IPL's to see if there are any modifications done to the gear drive saws or maybe if it is just a bolt on type of thing?

Another thing to think about, how long should the bar be on a gear drive 82cc saw? My PM850 pulls the 38" bar with no problem. MarkH knows that first hand.

[video=youtube;vpeHNMI3-7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpeHNMI3-7o[/video]

I have but it's been awhile. I remember there being an issue using the 82cc crank

I can see a problem, looks like you would need to use the crank and lower engine block/oil tank of the gear drive saw which is why they only went up to the 72cc piston and cylinder.

Another thing to think about, how long should the bar be on a gear drive 82cc saw? My PM850 pulls the 38" bar with no problem. MarkH knows that first hand.

[video=youtube;vpeHNMI3-7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpeHNMI3-7o[/video]

very nice. I would think a 5 cube gear drive would be able to handle a 60 inch bar with .404 easily enough.

Have you looked over the IPL's to see if there are any modifications done to the gear drive saws or maybe if it is just a bolt on type of thing?

I have but it's been awhile. I remember there being an issue using the 82cc crank

I can see a problem, looks like you would need to use the crank and lower engine block/oil tank of the gear drive saw which is why they only went up to the 72cc piston and cylinder.

There's the problem. The G versions have a different lower crankcase/oil tank assembly, and the 82cc saws have larger crank bearings which won't fit into the bearing recesses of that G lower crankcase without machining. IIRC we also saw some other issues with oil tank/cylinder matchup when we discussed this project earlier. Then there's the crank snout differences between the G and non-G saws.

Back