McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love that photo with the three McCullochs sitting on the log deck. The big one in the center, that is a 795 or 797, or maybe 125 ? And the one on the left, is that an early (sixties?) 10-10 ? I don't recognize the one on the right, but looks like it has a chain brake, so must be a newer saw, is that correct? What a GREAT picture :)

Also makes it much easier to hear the tune.

I honestly feel they were band-aiding a late 60s design in the 80s. The 800 should have been an entirely new saw. It stopped the fires. It got quieter

I'll say this though. The 800 with either exhaust but definitely the duct style is a weapon. I feel it has slightly better high RPM power over the 850. A 24 inch bar situation I think it quite possibly is faster. Put the 32 on "which the 800 also pulls absolutely fine" the 850 seems to have a little more something at holding off that stall. That last little ahhhhh.

All 3 i have are absolute dragons. The favourite still is the 81. I love that saw. The balance. The power. The sound. Its just lovely in the hand and a real joy as a felling saw

Also makes it much easier to hear the tune.

I honestly feel they were band-aiding a late 60s design in the 80s. The 800 should have been an entirely new saw. It stopped the fires. It got quieter

I'll say this though. The 800 with either exhaust but definitely the duct style is a weapon. I feel it has slightly better high RPM power over the 850. A 24 inch bar situation I think it quite possibly is faster. Put the 32 on "which the 800 also pulls absolutely fine" the 850 seems to have a little more something at holding off that stall. That last little ahhhhh.

All 3 i have are absolute dragons. The favourite still is the 81. I love that saw. The balance. The power. The sound. Its just lovely in the hand and a real joy as a felling saw
I use my 800 with a 28” bar and an 8 pin sprocket. I have revamped the exhaust considerably and it can now breath better. I’ve heard that you can use a sp81 exhaust on the 800. Any truth to this?

The lower brace (bottom of the rear handle) on the PM800 saws will accommodate the duct from the SP80/81 or PM850 models but not vice versa...the PM800 muffler will not fit on the 850. I don't know if the lower brace on the 80/81 models will accommodate the 800 mufflers.

Bobby Framke's PM800 with an 850 muffler. The mufflers from the SP80/81 models are more rectangular at the outlet, the 850 is the "5 sided" version.

20220429_150556.jpg

Mark

The lower brace (bottom of the rear handle) on the PM800 saws will accommodate the duct from the SP80/81 or PM850 models but not vice versa...the PM800 muffler will not fit on the 850. I don't know if the lower brace on the 80/81 models will accommodate the 800 mufflers.

Bobby Framke's PM800 with an 850 muffler. The mufflers from the SP80/81 models are more rectangular at the outlet, the 850 is the "5 sided" version.

View attachment 1188839

Mark
Yup , nice that it just bolts on without having to do any mods.

Back