McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7-55 going back together. The 7-55 like many of the early McCulloch saws has a rotary valve for the intake.

View attachment 1211585

As the crankshaft rotates the valve opens a passageway into the crankcase.

View attachment 1211586

Cage for the needle bearings and needles stuck to the crankshaft with a little dab of grease.

View attachment 1211587

If you work carefully, you can stick the rod cap in place as well.

View attachment 1211588

Make sure the pips on the rod and cap line up.

View attachment 1211589

The points are external so there is a pushrod that rides a cam on the crankshaft.

View attachment 1211590

The early model two man saws featured some counterbalance weights to help reduce the vibrations.

View attachment 1211591

Crankshaft seals have been replaced, but now I have a leak around the counterweight cover. I may have to use some Dirko on the gasket and mating surfaces. I do have a nice strong spark.

View attachment 1211592

Mark
Once again , excellent info Mark! Thanks.
I got a saw going for the boyfriend of a former employee this evening. Of course I steered the conversation to old macs. He said he has one in his shop that leaked oil so bad he never used it. I believe from the description it may be a 1-75. I pulled up a pic and he's 99 percent sure that's what it is. Says he has a case and all. It will be interesting to see if it's a home made case or a factory issue one. Wouldn't that be something!

Mark's 7-55 project inspired me to have a look at my 7-30. The saw seems very complete but the recoil is all kinds of messed up. Initial observations include compression is way down and main bearings have some play...this saw might always just be a conversation piece.

I can honestly say I've never been more confused by a recoil. It was bound up pretty bad due to some kind of bizarre spring/bushing thing being deformed. The recoil spring is broken, and unless I'm crazy the crank seal is actually in the recoil housing???

1000009857.jpg1000009858.jpg

Back