Milking a new rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfehring

Reaction score
Ive been told to milk new climbing ropes. Is there a danger to not milking or is it only just that the sheath with bunch up? I have a new role with one side that has a sewn termination. I milked it once and cut with after wrapping with electrical tape. Should I only climb from one side because realistically if I climb from the other end and switch back and forth wouldn't I be milking it toward the sewn termination?

Hi, it just bunches up and can be a bit of a pain but not really a safety issue. Once you have come down the full length of the rope on a prussic a couple of times it should be settled and once trimmed should be good to go and workable from both ends 👍

And of course some ropes milk more than others.

My Dynasorb Model I - a rigging rope - barely milked at all, and my stinky Dynasorb Model II milks like a cow. 🐮

I've never notice that my climber's rope milks. And I've coiled his ropes a thousand and one times over the years. All different brands.

you never want to climb on the non sewn end of a rope if you can avoid it

sometimes making a 2nd system with the tail is necessary, if you tie a knot at the end (scaffold knot around your tie in biner) then it can't really milk

double braid ropes have to get the core balanced in the sheath as the core and sheath share the load

Latest posts

Back