Milling Picture Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oak is still my favorite. This was yesterday. Im taking more of the same stuff today. Big end of the first log was only 27” diameter but man this stuff is beautiful. All 10’ long. I made a deal with the customer. They want $50 per 10 foot log and I take all the boards. DEAL!!!IMG_3868.jpegIMG_3869.jpegIMG_3861.jpegIMG_3860.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3866.jpeg
    IMG_3866.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
I used to follow a guy in the Philippians on U tube, he would hire a guy that brought a friend and those two would cut down his trees and free-hand saw out lumber, and it was nice straight lumber. It cost him 10 bucks a DAY each...

Then another crew would come in and build onto his house, same pay per day, and they did a nice job.

SR
Was that the video's of the guys in flip flops cutting on a chalk line?

IMG_3860.jpegGot to mill a some red oak today, nothing like those logs you’re workin on. Still it was a good day, dropped the tree yesterday and cut it into 7’ sections. This section 14 inch at the base and 11 inch at the top of the section. Made five cuts today, this was the only photo I took. Got caught up in the moment and forgot to take more pictures. Two cant cuts to square up and then sharpen, got three on the last run before I had to sharpen. Not the best square edge today but meh, been a while. Will go back at it in the morning. Always like to see everyone else’s stuff, thank you!

Oak is still my favorite. This was yesterday. Im taking more of the same stuff today. Big end of the first log was only 27” diameter but man this stuff is beautiful. All 10’ long. I made a deal with the customer. They want $50 per 10 foot log and I take all the boards. DEAL!!!View attachment 1200443View attachment 1200440View attachment 1200441View attachment 1200442
I'm really not a fan of Oak, but those boards have some nice character. Pretty smooth too. What gauge bar you using? Skip tooth chain?

I'm really not a fan of Oak, but those boards have some nice character. Pretty smooth too. What gauge bar you using? Skip tooth chain?
Those logs I was using to big if a setup but it worked fine.

It was my 385xp, 42” bar on the 36” mill jig. 3/8 .063 chain, 3/8-7 sprocket and archer full comp ripping chain.

Why not a fan of oak? You mean the looks or milling it?

Iv got a 50” diameter 17’ long white oak to mill soon if the customer says yes. Im pretty positive they will. Its gona be cut into two 8’6” logs to mill into 1” slabs. Im not fond of 1” slabs but its their log.

Those logs I was using to big if a setup but it worked fine.

It was my 385xp, 42” bar on the 36” mill jig. 3/8 .063 chain, 3/8-7 sprocket and archer full comp ripping chain.

Why not a fan of oak? You mean the looks or milling it?

Iv got a 50” diameter 17’ long white oak to mill soon if the customer says yes. Im pretty positive they will. Its gona be cut into two 8’6” logs to mill into 1” slabs. Im not fond of 1” slabs but its their log.
Just don't care for the look. Everything is made out of Red Oak. Gets a little boring. I prefer Ash or Cherry.

Will one of those edging slabber setups work on bigger logs, say 30” + and a 3120 and a 42” bar?
I found the edging mill to be too unsteady out of the box. A "W" or even "U" style rail would work infinitely better for stability than the "V" style, for surface area and support.

If/when I mill again, I'll be looking into a beam saw vs. a different chainsaw-edging jig.

I found the edging mill to be too unsteady out of the box. A "W" or even "U" style rail would work infinitely better for stability than the "V" style, for surface area and support.

If/when I mill again, I'll be looking into a beam saw vs. a different chainsaw-edging jig.
Oh dang. I never thought of a beam saw. Good plan.

Im not going to buy one until the job arises that requires it. But I like where your going with that sir.

I wonder if something could be made out of uni-strut with those rollers you can get for it🤔🤔

IMG_3865.jpeg
Got back after it today, and got into a bit of insect damage but I can still use the wood. Got one more cut out of this log after this photo.IMG_3866.jpegIMG_3868.jpeg
Started on the second log and got squared up way better than the first one. I jut roll them over after the first cut and can usually get the second cut pretty close to square with a bit of tinkering. I mill red oak cause it’s what I got plenty of. Used it to build the chicken coop frame, the turkey/ brooder building frame. Starting on a new garden shed frame now. Learning as I go, getting better at framing with green wood.

Latest posts

Back