MS361 Big Bore Kit Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No end user's going to get it at that price though. My dealers cost is $159.57, but list is $305.84. That just goes to show you the dealer markup though. They're making a killing with a markup like that.

I sell by the list price in the book on parts. Some of the times I don't sell at list price when quantity items are bought. (bar, chains,files,etc...) 99.7% of the items in the parts list are sold at list price.

No end user's going to get it at that price though. My dealers cost is $159.57, but list is $305.84. That just goes to show you the dealer markup though. They're making a killing with a markup like that.

You have VERY wrong information in that post.

AGAIN, see why me no like price threads???????

What's so wrong? The prices are current as of today.

I have the latest Media Cat information and the kit lists for $217.34 from North East Stihl. I know some areas will have different prices, so that I understand. My point is that my markup is no were near what you are posting, and MY price is really no ones business.

Some dealers sell at list, some discount, some will sell at list when doing the repair and show less labor, some will sell at discount and show more labor. It's really up to the dealer, and a lot of times it will depend on the customer too. I don't think many would find it a shock that most of my commercial customers will get faster turn around on service and may get some discounts on whole goods and parts. A home owner buying one saw in the mid range class every 20 years, where the margin is very slim, should be able to understand this.

This is supposed to be a living for me and I have to make a profit. If I make $50 on a part, I promise you that most of that goes toward the cost of me running a brick and mortar business and I am in no way making a killing. If I didn't enjoy what I do so much, I could honestly make more money handing out shopping carts and smiley stickers at Walmart.

I'm sure Bailey's wouldn't want you posting the dealer prices on the BB kits through Woodland, just like a lot of Stihl dealers don't like to see their dealer prices listed, and at least through North East Stihl, the numbers you posted were wrong.

If I make $50 on a part, I promise you that most of that goes toward the cost of me running a brick and mortar business and I am in no way making a killing. If I didn't enjoy what I do so much, I could honestly make more money handing out shopping carts and smiley stickers at Walmart.

It's all a part of keeping the doors open and the lights on...

In the southeast my list price is $160.45. Maybe they will get there price from my dealer price list. That would even be less than $88.00 ;)

I have the latest Media Cat information and the kit lists for $217.34 from North East Stihl. I know some areas will have different prices, so that I understand. My point is that my markup is no were near what you are posting, and MY price is really no ones business.

Some dealers sell at list, some discount, some will sell at list when doing the repair and show less labor, some will sell at discount and show more labor. It's really up to the dealer, and a lot of times it will depend on the customer too. I don't think many would find it a shock that most of my commercial customers will get faster turn around on service and may get some discounts on whole goods and parts. A home owner buying one saw in the mid range class every 20 years, where the margin is very slim, should be able to understand this.

This is supposed to be a living for me and I have to make a profit. If I make $50 on a part, I promise you that most of that goes toward the cost of me running a brick and mortar business and I am in no way making a killing. If I didn't enjoy what I do so much, I could honestly make more money handing out shopping carts and smiley stickers at Walmart.

I'm sure Bailey's wouldn't want you posting the dealer prices on the BB kits through Woodland, just like a lot of Stihl dealers don't like to see their dealer prices listed, and at least through North East Stihl, the numbers you posted were wrong.

Why are you so defensive? Someone before me posted the price of $160, which I didn't believe. So I called my dealer and posted what he told me. So it wasn't me that posted it. If my numbers are wrong, well that you would have to take up with my dealer then. I'm simply telling you what he told me today. Maybe these kits aren't up to snuff with OEM, but the ones I see doing most of the complaining are the dealers. They've got the most to loose. It's called capitalism!

Why are you so defensive? Someone before me posted the price of $160, which I didn't believe. So I called my dealer and posted what he told me. So it wasn't me that posted it. If my numbers are wrong, well that you would have to take up with my dealer then. I'm simply telling you what he told me today. Maybe these kits aren't up to snuff with OEM, but the ones I see doing most of the complaining are the dealers. They've got the most to loose. It's called capitalism!

What he quoted, and it sounded too low, was LIST, not cost.

Yes, I think there is some confusion on terminology here. I was confused myself but assumed the poster knew better than me. List would be the $305.84 number my dealer gave me, which is what I thought they cost. That's what I was quoted more than a year ago when I needed one.

Also, if he is your dealer then he has something to loose too but I don't think that is the point. I just don't know why he would give you cost and list figures, right or wrong, knowing that you were going to post them on the web???

I have been doing this long enough to know how hard price drives things. To the point, that saws like Poulan still exist. Everyone wants a Stihl, Husqvarna, J Red, etc, but they want them at a Poulan price.

I actually have absolutely nothing to loose if a BB kit is $2.99 because most of my customers don't mod saws, and many don't work on saws. My arguement was not about OEM vs BB, and if the BB was at a bolt it on and still sleep well at night level, it could actually help a dealer be able to repair otherwise too costly to repair saws.

I'm not being defensive at all, I just don't like dealer pricing information plastered on the web, right or wrong, and I can't be the only dealer with this view.

I was just telling you what was in my book for list price (not cost). I dont know, but would have to think the price(s) differences would be in the distributor. My supplier is one of the few independent Stihl distributors left in the USA. I would have not thought that there would be that much difference throughout the lower 48.

ANYWAY I thought this thread was suppose to stay on topic :dizzy:

So how is that saw running today Brad?

LOL. As most of you know, I have no wood at my home to cut. But today I was down at my daughters school and one of the groundskeepers was working on some of the remnants of Ike. I'm going to get to use the BB kits on some of that wood. So I should get them in some wood later this week.

I was just telling you what was in my book for list price (not cost). I dont know, but would have to think the price(s) differences would be in the distributor. My supplier is one of the few independent Stihl distributors left in the USA. I would have not thought that there would be that much difference throughout the lower 48.

Are you sure you priced the cylinder and piston instead of just a cylinder?

I believe your dealer is using last years pricing... or maybe he has one in stock to move. That's what we paid last year... but it changed to $212 January 20th or so to align it with the rest of the country. The current price (StihlNW) I just checked online is $220.90. Dealer cost is significantly lower... and dealers can sell for whatever price they like, higher or lower.

Last edited:
Gotta ask ya Brad

I saw another thread you started about a BB kit for the 7900, a proto type. Now I see you got another BB kit for the 361, a proto type. Its seems you've been chosen to test these kits and thats cool beans to me. My question is are you being supplied these kits for free? If not you should be. If your testing them on your own saws you should be getting these kits at no cost to you at all and quite frankly should be paid for your time testing them. Your providing not only the maker of these kits but those that sell them a great service and you should be paid for it..

BTW great pics and good threads with these kits. Some good info and reading in these threads of yours, keep up the good work...

Latest posts

Back