MS362 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll try to keep this short and sweet.. love love my 362. Couple of suggestions though definitely switch over to 3/8 .050 (still don't know why they're still doing .325 on that saw) Big Dawgs, full skip RFS, 20",25" bar. I have a 25" bar I feel that's the sweet spot. As far as m-tronic or C I have the M-tronic no problems.View attachment 1213130

STIHL recommends #3624 (33 RS3 72) OILOMATIC® saw chain 3/8" RS3 on the 362. Did yours come with a .325" loop?

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms362/

Not saying anything against a 400, I would like to and will one day own/run one, but half that tree in the vid is rot, 14" oak at best.
That's a 25" bar, and I measure the tree every once in a while before cutting it because it gets fatter toward the stump, so it's at least 22" (plus it's taller than it is round). If you look at the color of the chips, it's good wood.

It's out-of-the-box OEM factory grind chain, except it's sometimes already made a handful of cuts in other tests, so I wouldn't call it a "speed video," but that's just me. I use that tree for timing saw modifications, so it's more of a "fairly consistent test-bench" than anything, though I do have to account for changes in weather.

Yeah Mine came with .325 and I checked two other Stihl dealers and they had .325. don't know if they came from the factory that way or did the dealer switch them off
From what I understand, STIHL puts what they consider the "best all-around bar/chain combination" (and other parts like full-wrap handle) on each saw for the trees in a particular area. Therefore different geographical areas with different trees and different needs get "stock" saws that should work best for the operator (on average).

My old 362 pulls its 18 buried in anything I have around here. It's all dead and dry. Some of the beetle/drought killed jackpine is very hard. And so is some of the drought-killed aspen. It was growing slowly in sand for 30 years or more. The old mtronic 362's were torque-less because they were simply too lean. Always. Everywhere. Mine isn't because I can tune it, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

The 400 should pull a 24. It's basically a 70cc saw. Weight isn't everything. Balance is, imo.

I don't know what happened to the 362. The originals without moronic are torquey.
I have ran both versions of the 362 and I own a 400. The 362's are dogs in comparison.

Are you sure? All the Stihl dealers I've been at all the 362s have the .325. Can someone else on this forum confirm that please. If I'm wrong I'm wrong I don't think so.
All 362s at my dealer come setup with 3/8. The 261 comes with .325 here, but my dealer can convert to 3/8 if the customer prefers it that way

To answer the OP, the 400C is well worth the extra coin over the 362. I don't personally own a 400, but I have ran one many times, and I constantly find myself trying to justify a reason to buy it. Compared to other 60cc saws I've ran (Echo 590, 620P, Stihl 362C) it's a far more powerful saw while staying similar in weight.

IMO it's what the 362 should've been from the get go, and when my modified 590 finally dies, I'll be replacing it with a 400C

I like the MS362 M tronic myself. I had one for a while and sold it to a friend. No reason other than he wanted it .
3/8 would be standard.

I'm thinking if you are young and in good shape and just wanted one saw that would be as good a candidate as any..

Now, if you are just doing yard work a MS261 would make more sense.

Or, if you are an old fart doing yard work get something with a battery.

You know the drill.

To answer the OP, the 400C is well worth the extra coin over the 362. I don't personally own a 400, but I have ran one many times, and I constantly find myself trying to justify a reason to buy it. Compared to other 60cc saws I've ran (Echo 590, 620P, Stihl 362C) it's a far more powerful saw while staying similar in weight.

IMO it's what the 362 should've been from the get go, and when my modified 590 finally dies, I'll be replacing it with a 400C

I had $50 in the MS362C . So, there is that.

The 362 is sold with a 3/4 wrap here.
It's sold with wrap, regular and heated here
I have ran both versions of the 362 and I own a 400. The 362's are dogs in comparison.
They should be. They are 8cc smaller. The 400 at 67cc is a 70cc class saw. Obviously.

The original 362's could run with any 60cc saw, but not with a pro 70cc saw, obviously. The moronic ones were torque-less. The latest ones, I have no idea.

The 400 is 300 dollars more in canada. That is significant enough, imo to seriously evaluate one's needs.

Latest posts

Back