Need advice on picking out a bigger chain saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you use that 2in1 file, no, you never have to hit the rakers (yes I know they are depth gauges ;) ). That said, throughout the life of the chain, you really don't need to drop the rakers very many times. I don't use a 2n1 file system because I adjust my rakers based on what saw I'm using, and what I'm doing with that saw. On a smaller saw that I mainly use for limbing, I keep things close to stock. On bigger saws where I'm running a shorter than average bar, I'll drop the rakers more to make more use of the saws extra HP/torque.

As far as vices go, the bench vice in my shop is mounted to a piece of 8" x 8" x 3/8" aluminum, which is then bolted to the bench with 1/2" bolts (a scrench fits a 1/2" hex bolt head perfectly). At one point I had transferred the bolt pattern to another piece of steel that I bolted to the tailgate on my truck. That would allow me to quickly pull the vice off my work bench, and toss it in the truck so I could then bolt it to the tailgate and use it in the woods. It actually worked pretty well. Currently I use a cheap Harbor Freight woodworking vise that's mounted to a piece of angle iron, which is in turn welded to some scrap 2" sq tube so that I can put it in my hitch. I also have a hitch welded to the tongue of my trailer so I can use it without unhooking the trailer. I even welded a couple extra nuts to it so that I could screw in a couple of bolts and tighten everything up so it doesn't wobble. I made some wooden jaws for the vice out of some scrap lumber, and put another piece underneath. It allows me to tighten down on the bar without tightening down on the chain, and keeps me from banging the freshly sharpened saw teeth on the metal vise. I also made an extension piece so that I could use it with the tailgate down. It's way over kill, but it does work really well for sharpening a saw. The pics below aren't very good, but you get the general idea.

View attachment 1195565View attachment 1195566View attachment 1195567
It's a vise, not a vice.

Yes it is, but when trying to type on a phone at my age, I'm pretty happy if that's the most noticeable mistake I make.
I hear you. I have been married for more than 50 years, so I have seen and done a few things over the years, with my share of mistakes. But one of my vices is to want to correct incorrect grammar and spelling. So, I have both a vise and a vice!

I hear you. I have been married for more than 50 years, so I have seen and done a few things over the years, with my share of mistakes. But one of my vices is to want to correct incorrect grammar and spelling. So, I have both a vise and a vice!
I are an in-ga-near, and we are the reason spell check was created. The overwhelming majority of good, capable engineers (as opposed those who are good at making power point presentations) couldn't care less about spelling or grammar, and I'm squarely in the group that doesn't give a rip.

I are an in-ga-near, and we are the reason spell check was created. The overwhelming majority of good, capable engineers (as opposed those who are good at making power point presentations) couldn't care less about spelling or grammar, and I'm squarely in the group that doesn't give a rip.
I am also an engineer, but I do care about how I use language. It brings clarity of meaning. Since I have published about 48 technical articles and 2 books, it helps with the editing process.

I am also an engineer, but I do care about how I use language. It brings clarity of meaning. Since I have published about 48 technical articles and 2 books, it helps with the editing process.
Actually, I agree. Unfortunately, a large part of my responsibility these days is generating technical documents that are auditable by the FDA. I hate it, but its the nature of my industry. More importantly though is generating documentation that goes out to our suppliers to communicate our requirements and expectations for new projects. Words do have meanings, and if you use them incorrectly, you won't be satisfied with the results you receive. There may be multiple ways to correctly communicate an idea, but that doesn't mean that all of them are correct. It's like that saying about the uncle and his horse....

I, also, try not to misspell words as well as communicate in way that readers will understand the message that I'm trying to convey.

But, if another poster has a typo or two, I don't give it a second thought, as long as I understand what they meant to say.

I also enjoy word games.

Rich

I'm struggling with the title of this Thread, noticing that it's not stated in the plural form....,

Hence I will not be able to make a qualified answer.

Just kidding (Sort of),

I recommend a standard carb Stihl MS 261 hands down, however a 462 is sweet, but well over $500.

Mad3400

"Advices", meaning that I was wondering if "Advice" was the word that you thought should be in the plural form...

Rich

I see, no problem.

You stated, "a bigger chain saw" in the title, implying that you are only looking for one saw to add to the collection.

Now, I officially killed it.

Mad3400

Back