need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalmos

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 54yr old dad is looking to purchase a chainsaw. He has 9acres of trees (about 12"-14" diameter) and wants to clear some of them to build a cabin and such.

He heard that Stihl is a long lasting saw. His buget for a new saw is $250-$300. Local Stihl dealer recommended 025 for him. I would like to get your advice as to what brands and what models he should consider? The saw will be used mainly to clear the trees and for fire wood.

Some brands he's considering are: Stihl, Husky and JohnDeere

Thanks.

Last edited:
The 025 seems to be a decent saw, but keep in mind that it is not of the Pro caliber that Stihl has built their reputation on, but we are talking under $300. I would also suggest you look at a Husky 350 or 55 and do the muffler mods on it. The original 55, which a few of are still kicking around new, is a bullet proof saw. The 55 Rancher is slightly less powerful I believe, someone will correct me if I`m wrong. Sometimes good deals are had on ebay on new saws in this range. Check back when he gets the new saw and someone will be able to show you pics of the muffler mods for that particular model, they are usually good for somewhere around 1/2 hp. Russ

advice

The 025 would be right up his alley. I have very good luck with this model. Yes, it is a CONSUMER saw, NOT a pro model.
I think of it as a poor man's 024. The only other choice would be a MS260, a pro model, but you will need another hundred bucks. In my opinion, you would be very happy you did.

The John Deer and Makita saws are good quality without the Stihl price. I'm not really familiar with those companies' models, but it's worth a look.

If your father can catch the 025 on sale for $250, it should handle the task and it is a light little saw. I think a few more cc's and a few more $ would make him a lot happier, though. Dealer support is important also.

His budget for a new saw is $250-$300.
For your dad's needs, in this price range, I'd be looking at the Husky 55 Rancher, Makita/Dolmar 540 and Bailey's B-51 . That said, I bought a Husky 350 when they came out after quite a bit of research and have been pretty happy with it in an almost identical scenario (6 acres). The 55 was quite a bit higher then and the Bailey's saw wasn't out yet. The Sears Craftsman 51cc saw is the same as Bailey's, both rebadged Solo 651SP models. Sears has had several on eBay recently, going off at around $200. The John Deere CS56 is a rebadged Italian-made Efco/Olympyk saw, typically well-regarded and has more displacement and hp than the others listed. Maybe the best of the bunch. Cheaper JDs are (or were) actually Homelites and should be avoided. Stihls' saws in this class (the 025/029) have plastic crankcases (like my 350) and have a reputation of crank problems, although some find they work OK. Personally, I'd pick one of these last. Most here will agree that your local dealer's support is at least as important as brand name. I'll add that he should avoid anything under about 50cc and stick with a 16" bar... it'll do everything he needs and drag less than a longer one. Let us know which he gets.

For faster cutting i'd keep the .325, and stay with a shorter bar, even if a few times it had to be walked around a tree.

The chain choice is standard, will be less drag, more efficient than 'upgrading' to 3/8". The shorter bar, will be le$$, chains le$$, lighter, faster, easier sharpenning, better oiling, better balanced; just don't catch the tip!

Don't rule out Echo!!

Don't rule out an Echo saw. dependable, inexpensive, Cs 4400 or CS 510 would be large enough to do the job and it should be cheaper then some of the other brands. check out my post Echo CS 4400 Good luck and have fun shopping!
"The Hoosier"

"It's a jungle out their!"

I own a tree service and weve had an 021 For over a Yr now Daily Use. No Problems At all Still starts on the first Pull! When Its used for Limbing for the chipper on the ground. When it gives out i'll replace it with a 025. I save the Pro saws for use where needed and a cheap saw for limbing for the chipper.

I did a bit of more research and it seems to me that Husky saws give you better performance for same $$$ as Stihl. The 55R is about $300. I read somewhere that it has a non plastic crank cover or something? Not sure why the bar says Farm Tough and only came as 18" not 16" like my dad wants.

What is "Walkerized"? I think, it's something to do with muffler. Why do you get a saw "Walkerized"?

I think we have it narrowed down to Stihl or Husky. Both brands seem to have great reputation. I guess we will get as much saw as possible for $300. Is 55R the best choice? What is the best place with low prices on the net to buy a chainsaw?

Last edited:
one more thing. I'm not sure how to read the vibration stats.

Is 55R with 5.1/7.8 Vibrations (m/s ) Front / Rear or 350 with 2.5/2.6 Vibrations (m/s ) Front / Rear going to have have LESS vibrations?

Kalmos...
The lower the number, the fewer vibes... the 350 has the lowest of all Huskies, I believe. I'm pretty certain the 55 does have a metal crankcase vs. plastic (ala 350)... somebody care to verify? The $300 55 is better than a $300 Stihl, IMO. Me... I'd get one of the new 51cc Sears Craftsman/Solo SP51 saws for ~$200 off eBay (and I really like Huskies...). Have you looked at the John Deere 56cc saw? Specs look impressive... never held one, though.

Walkerized saws have been power tuned by Walker's saw shop in BC, eh? (???, long way from Arkansas, I know that (wish I were there now (much cooler, I bet))). They open up the mufflers and ports and give 25% or so more hp, supposedly the saw runs cooler and lasts longer, too. Costs about $125-$150 USD I think. Dennis Greffard and Ken Dunn on this board can do similar and even more radical mods if ya wanna race.

Alamia.com has some of the best internet prices on Huskies (and others) I've seen. Stihls can ONLY be bought at your friendly neighborhood dealer.

See this link: eBay Solo SP51/Craftsman

Hope the current high bidder is not a member of the board here... I just wanted to let folks know that sears has been auctioning at least 2 of these quality saws off a week with winning bids rarely exceeding $200. I'd be all over this but currently I'm at my capacity for 50cc saws and gotta big ole Mac comin UPS off another auction...

I really like my echo cs 4400 's , i have 2 of them
I think they might have plastic crank cases because they are
super light weight for 49 cc's (?) .very durable as well
I run 22" narrow kerf arbor pro bars from bailey's
witch works very well , lighter , and less drag witch means
more speed or power feel. I like to take mine up a tree
when i need the 22". I think they cost $320 new
Low vibration too.
However , now I think over priced after reading , comparing
other prices listed in this thread

Keep them chains sharp !

It looks like it will be between:
Stihl 25, 29 and 310. Husky 350, 351 and 55R.
The 346XP is bit more $, not sure what the advantage would be?

My dad held the 310 and found it a bit heavy at 13.2 lbs. I assume that the 310 and 55R can take a bit more physical abuse being a "Farm" chainsaw?

He wants the best bang for the buck. Would that be the Husky 351? Does the 351 have metal crank case? What would be John Deere comparable models in the $300 range?

What a great forum. Thanks to all! :blob2:

Hi Kalmos,

Figured I'd throw my two cents in the kitty. I have a stock(unmodified) 346xp for limbing. It is an awesome saw for the task but I think your Dad would be disappointed in it's performance for felling and bucking 12-14" trees.(I am) I think the Rancher is being discontinued so you might be able to get a good deal. The 350 or 351 are supposed to be good saws(I don't remember exactly what the differences are) and have a narrow kerf chain design which I really like on my 346xp. Hopefully this helps and not just muddied the waters.:)

The CS 56 John Deere / 956 Efco will blow away the other saws mentioned. It has a metal main housing and closed port cylinder. You should be able to get one for $350.

I know that is over your budget, but at $300 you are just under the mark for pro featured saws.

Did a bit more research and John Deere saws are too heavy. I'm leaning towards the Husky but not sure which one. So, we are down to: Stihl 25, 29 and 310. Husky 350, 351 and 55R.

Can someone help on following:
1. 55R is a bit heavier then 350/351 and has higher vibration rating. I assume that the 310 and 55R can take a bit more physical abuse being a "Farm" chainsaw?
2. He wants the best bang for the buck. Would that be the Husky 351? :confused:
3. Does the 351 have metal crank case?

Latest posts

Back