New 346XP vs. 455 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: I never thought I would ever run across anyone around here with enough balls to admit to doing that! Please tell me you are kidding....

I shake the saw after I put the fuel in it if that helps. :)

To be honest I wouldn't have mentioned it if I had known the emotional responses I would get, I didn't think it was a big deal but apparently the 2-stroke oil/gas ratio has become somewhat of a religion, I was surprised. :)

I shake the saw after I put the fuel in it if that helps. :)

To be honest I wouldn't have mentioned it if I had known the emotional responses I would get, I didn't think it was a big deal but apparently the 2-stroke oil/gas ratio has become somewhat of a religion, I was surprised. :)

Oh, my bad. Shaking it surely makes it better. Better yet, get yourself a dead chicken and shake it over the saw while dancing a jig around it in a hulla skirt. Make yourself some homemade war paint with mustard and strawberry jam and you should be good to go.

Because I am curious and also a glutton for punishment, I gotta ask you one question. You mentioned you wanted a shorter bar than a 24 inch because it takes to long to sharpen the longer bar. What do you use to sharpen the chain with? In my mind's eye, I see you hunkered over the bar with a gas powered cut off saw......one tooth at a time......while the sparks fly......

I gotta quit.Its just too much for me...

Last edited:
Oh, my bad. Shaking it surely makes it better. Better yet, get yourself a dead chicken and shake it over the saw while dancing a jig around it in a hulla skirt. Make yourself some homemade war paint with mustard and strawberry jam and you should be good to go.

LOL...Sounds like a good ritual for your new gas/oil ratio cult. :)

Last edited:
According to Husqvarna, the 576 takes the same car as the 372, 395 and 570. At present I'm using a borrowed 20" bar from my brother in law's 372 on my 359, so that seems to be the same bar mount as well......

The 359 and 372 DO NOT use the same mount

I don't think your dealer has your best interests in mind.......

That wouldn't be a first

In fact, I bet you could take the 18" b&c off your 455 and put it right on your 576 and tell the dealer to cancel the order.

Try it, and let me know how it works out.

OP, here is a little tool......

Husqvarna Chainsaws, Outdoor Power Equipment and Tree Care Supplies from Bailey's

Please, go to the Stihl dealer and buy a six pack of Ultra two stroke oil. It will come in 2.6oz bottles which should be mixed with 1gal of 91/93 octane gas. To do as you have been doing and just dumping a little of this and little of that in the fuel tank is fool-hardy, assinine, stupid, idiotic........get the pic............BTW, enjoy you saw!!!! It will serve you well if you mix your fuel correctly!!

That wouldn't be a first

Try it, and let me know how it works out.

OP, here is a little tool......

Husqvarna Chainsaws, Outdoor Power Equipment and Tree Care Supplies from Bailey's

Please, go to the Stihl dealer and buy a six pack of Ultra two stroke oil. It will come in 2.6oz bottles which should be mixed with 1gal of 91/93 octane gas. To do as you have been doing and just dumping a little of this and little of that in the fuel tank is fool-hardy, assinine, stupid, idiotic........get the pic............BTW, enjoy you saw!!!! It will serve you well if you mix your fuel correctly!!

LOL...Sometimes oil drips out of the muffler of my weed eater. :)

The emotion you guys have tied up in this gas/oil mix continues to amaze me. :)

Learn something new every day. All he has are 372's and I grabbed his spare 20" and it went right on my 359 perfectly. Apparently his spare bar is not for any of his saws...maybe he had a 357 at one point.

Apologies for the bad info...my bad.

Amazing that when we spend hard earned cash on a piece of equipment that we want to see a lifetime worth of use out of it? That we like to know when we trot off to work in a rural area where tools and parts are hard to come by that our saws will perform flawlessly until the day is done?

Sure, you may be joe homeowner needlessly adding blown carcasses into the local landfill because you dont want to take the time to properly adhere to not only prescribed but known rituals like mixing your fuel and oil to an exact ratio, but there are a ton of folks around here that rely on the fact that when they pull the rope in the morning they are going to hear a reliable engine come to life to earn their paycheck. Reliability comes from two places. A quality tool to begin with, and a maintenence schedule that has proven through tiime to substain a tool through the rigors of the work place.
Only a fool would fail to head the warning of those that have gone before you. But hey, I guess its your money. Just a shame for a quality tool to be treated that way.

The oil/fuel mix is the life blood of a saw.....Avalancher's words may sound a little strong, but he is spot-on.
Do you cook or bake?

Hey, I can hardly ever remember my mother using a recipe. She did have a couple of boxes on the shelf above the stove. But you didn't see them sitting on the counter very often. Maybe the OP has as much experience making mix by guessing as she had in making biscuits!!!............but I doubt it!!
Strangest thread I've ever read on this site. By far!

:cheers:

I may have to go back and re-read this one. I remember reading the first few post and then tuning it out.....

The oil/fuel mix is the life blood of a saw.....Avalancher's words may sound a little strong, but he is spot-on.

Hey, I can hardly ever remember my mother using a recipe. She did have a couple of boxes on the shelf above the stove. But you didn't see them sitting on the counter very often. Maybe the OP has as much experience making mix by guessing as she had in making biscuits!!!............but I doubt it!!

I may have to go back and re-read this one. I remember reading the first few post and then tuning it out.....

I was going somewhere with the cooking reference.

I started mixing in a gallon can just on the assumption that everyone here can't be wrong but does anyone have any proof, not theory, that mixing too much oil with your saw will damage it? I know it runs leaner with more oil because there is less fuel but that really doesn't matter since you have to adjust them anyway depending on the weather. Has anyone seen a 2-stroke that was damaged somehow by running too much oil?

The oil literally drips out of the muffler of my weed eater and maybe I'm just lucky but I have had that thing for years with zero problems and I run the crap out of it all summer at the farm.

Last edited:
Many of us on this site, myself included, rely on our tools to earn a days wage and put bread on the table. My saws look like they're used, because I couldn't care less at the end of the day if my saw has oil, mud or sawdust on it.

However, they are looked after mechanically as they have to carry on working tomorrow. To slosh a bit of oil in the tank, top up with petrol and shake IS NOT the correct way to do it! And apart from anything else, it won't be doing your health any good to be breathing in those fumes while you're cutting... maybe if you don't care about your saw, you'll think about your wellbeing?

You've just got a new 576xp, I really hope you read and follow the instruction manual that came with it. Otherwise one day you will do it some damage, and cost yourself a lot of money.

I might have to look at a 455 as my next saw, as if they can put up with your kind of abuse for years they must be tough as nails :D

I started mixing in a gallon can just on the assumption that everyone here can't be wrong but does anyone have any proof, not theory, that mixing too much oil with your saw will damage it? I know it runs leaner with more oil because there is less fuel but that really doesn't matter since you have to adjust them anyway depending on the weather. Has anyone seen a 2-stroke that was damaged somehow by running too much oil?

The oil literally drips out of the muffler of my weed eater and maybe I'm just lucky but I have had that thing for years with zero problems and I run the crap out of it all summer at the farm.

Think about it this way. Fuel in the form of gasoline leaves deposits behind as it burns in the form of carbon. This is normal. In a gasoline powered tool, you will find these deposits on the tip of the spark plug after you remove it.Again, this is normal, and after a period of time a spark plug needs to be replaced, not just because the electrode is worn down from repeated firing,but also the deposits can often gunk up the electrode and interfere with the clean spark that is necessary for complete combustion of the fuel.

Now, think about a two stroke additive in the form of oil. The oil is designed to pass through the system to lubricate the bearings and the cylinder walls.In small amounts the oil does its job of lubricating the moving parts, then gets burned in the combustion portion of the cylinder. Have you ever tried to burn used motor oil? It burns sure, but unless the fire is very hot it smolders, boils, and does everything but burn with a nice clean fire. It works the same in your cylinder.

The result of too much oil is an incomplete burn, and leaves an extraordinary amount of carbon deposits on top of the piston and the top of the cylinder, as well as in the exhaust ports. It can and will plug up the muffler baffles and spark arrestor, and i have personally pulled apart a leaf blower that was over oiled. The muffler was plugged slap up, the piston had so much carbon build up on it that the cylinder walls were scored by the particles being trapped between the piston and the cylinder. The carbon had consumed so much room that at the top of the compression stroke the piston was literally slapping the top of the cylinder, and the resulting over compression bent the piston rod. Needless to say, the leaf blower was a complete loss due to the cost of parts alone exceeding the cost of the leaf blower. And no, it was not my leaf blower.

It puzzles me to no end why you would be hesitant to simply measure your oil into a container that would allow a degree of accuracy, considering the cost of replacing a well built machine. There is really no way of determining the exact amount of fuel needed to fill the tank unless you measured precisely the volume needed to fill the tank to begin with and always ran the saw dry, a practice in itself is hard on the machine. And if you took the time to actually measure the exact amount necessary to fill the tank, you could have spent that time measuring out one gallon and dumping in the pre measured and pre packaged oil container. There are far too many manufacturers out there that have made measuring oil a thing of the past by selling measured amounts of two stroke oil to one gallon, two gallon, and five gallon containers, and its nuts not to take advantage of the convenience.

Even if the cost of the tool is not a consideration to you, perhaps you won the lottery or are independently wealthy, but I cant imagine dealing with a tool that will not perform ideally any time you want to get some work done.

I can see it now..............

"HELP! My 576 won't start, any ideas?"
The thread will go on and on, then finally the OP will admit he was just dumping oil into the tank, adding gas and "sloshing it around", after complaining about what a pile of junk the saw was, how it was about new/hardly used, "why would they sell such junk?"
The piston and cylinder will be trashed, the carb full of junk and the muffler plugged solid.
This will be a great thread to read, but I won't reply once in it!
I give up.

It puzzles me to no end why you would be hesitant to simply measure your oil into a container that would allow a degree of accuracy, considering the cost of replacing a well built machine. There is really no way of determining the exact amount of fuel needed to fill the tank unless you measured precisely the volume needed to fill the tank to begin with and always ran the saw dry, a practice in itself is hard on the machine. And if you took the time to actually measure the exact amount necessary to fill the tank, you could have spent that time measuring out one gallon and dumping in the pre measured and pre packaged oil container. There are far too many manufacturers out there that have made measuring oil a thing of the past by selling measured amounts of two stroke oil to one gallon, two gallon, and five gallon containers, and its nuts not to take advantage of the convenience.

Even if the cost of the tool is not a consideration to you, perhaps you won the lottery or are independently wealthy, but I cant imagine dealing with a tool that will not perform ideally any time you want to get some work done.

It puzzles me to no end why you repond to posts that you don't read, I said I am measuring it now. :)

Last edited:
"HELP! My 576 won't start, any ideas?"
The thread will go on and on, then finally the OP will admit he was just dumping oil into the tank, adding gas and "sloshing it around", after complaining about what a pile of junk the saw was, how it was about new/hardly used, "why would they sell such junk?"
The piston and cylinder will be trashed, the carb full of junk and the muffler plugged solid.
This will be a great thread to read, but I won't reply once in it!
I give up.

I give up. My origninal post regarding this was to say that the 455 is a tough saw and performed perfectly despite 10 years of abuse...now everyone is piling on saying that what I listed as abuse is abuse...I KNOW that's why I wrote it! :)

Back