New Guy-- Needle bearing maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soybean

Reaction score
Hello! I've been a lurker for awhile and I'm stepping up with a newbie type question. My background is limited with chainsaws, but, I'm coming up to speed by taking in all the good info here. We purchased 70 acres in N. Missouri that is 85% woods, ( Wht Oak, Hickory, Walnut ). I started off with a little Husky 141 from a farm type box store. I soon realized I was undergunned. After I discovered this forum and started reading the archives I bought a 372xp. I've really enjoyed using the larger saw. With the help of the Husky SharpForce I've gotten to be able to sharpen a chain o.k. I decided it would be nice to have a little lighter midrange saw and the UPS guy delivered a 357xp today. My question is about Outboard vs inboard clutch design. The Husky manual states that you should grease the needle bearings of the sprocket regularly (once a week). On the 372xp it is so easy for a newcomer to chainsaws, to remove the c type clip and pop off the sprocket and access the needle bearings. How does one do this type of maintenance with the outboard clutch of the 357xp? What type of equipment is required? There is a little grease gun that comes with the new saws. I've always assumed it was just for greasing the nose sprocket on the bar. With the 372xp I just pumped some grease out and worked it into the needle bearings Can you use the grease gun to grease the needle bearings of the 357xp just by sticking it in the small hole in the center of the clutch drum? I have done quite a bit of reading here, and other places on the net, and have learned of the necessity of Safety equipment and never attempt things that I'm not comfortable with in the woods. By buying through the internet, I have cheated myself of the knowledge of a good dealer. I honestly never found one in my neck of the woods to bring my business to. I read something that I believe Mark Twain once said about keeping quit when you really don't know much about something, instead of opening your mouth and removing all doubt. That's how I feel about my particpation here. I enjoy setting back and reading about guys that make their living cutting wood, and building Hot saws. It's kind of like being able to hang out and listen to good discussion by those who know. Thanks in advance for any help. Brian

In over 16 years of owning chainsaws, this has never been an issue for me. But I've never owned a Husky, either. Either way, the small roller bearings for the sprocket are all made about the same.
I've always greased them well with a quality heavy grease when installing a new sprocket, and forget about them untill I need another sprocket. I ALWAYS install new bearings with a new sprocket. They used to come as a package, nowadays I have to order (and pay) for them separately.

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess my other question would be how does a guy replace his own sprockets on saws with an outboard clutch? In specific Husky saws. Is this something most people take in to have serviced? Brian

A lot of the maintenance recommendations are for full time daily use, I agree whole-heartedly with everthing treeclimber165 says. BTW, my Jonsered(s) have a hole in the end of the crank for greasing the sprocket bearing.

clutch needle bearings

hello brian,
sedanman has the answer, the huskys have a small hole in the center of the crankshaft that goes into the center of the clutch hub bearing. Just grease it a couple of times a week when you grease the bar tip bearing.
KD

372 needle bearings

hello brain again ,
On the 372 husky it is necessary to remove the clutch hub to grease the bearing. the clutch drum has 2 slots cut in the rim that drive the batwing or arm for the oil pump. you must align the 2 slots when you reassemble the clutch hub
KD

Thanks for the info KD. Can you tell me what's involved with the 357xp sprocket removal. How does the outboard clutch come off? Is it something that requires some specialized tools? Brian

You will hear many techniques on clutch removal, and 10 times
that amount of the posts will be in disagreement. To be honest,
I would not remove a clutch to lube the sprocket bearings, as
failure of them is rare.
If the clutch has a hex head {bolt} shoulder on it, I use
an impact wrench, if not I use a punch and hammer.
Ok, bring it on guys.

bearing

Just be careful on those consumer Stihls with the key cast in the flywheel. May (will), shear the key off. I have an SK 3/8 impact that works great on everything else with a nut on it. Got to have the clutch wrenches for everything else.
Ever leave the screw in piston stop in when you were hurried? Talk about the sudden stop hurting!

ther's fish.. hey buddy, thought you may have submerged for the summer. ther's more road killet, stiking a.. armadillos down here than you can aim a tire at... had one hanging out in my front ditch last year, I think it was, but it ended up out in the yard, belly up...and I mowed it. Anyway, hello, and good to hear from you.

Armadillos in Tennessee?
How do you hilljacks cook them? Do you use a canopener first?
Last time I was in the yard belly up, my wife came out and woke me up for work.

How do you hilljacks cook them

I don't know of an official State way to cook these things, but I normally just put them belly up in a 250 degree cooker until their toes curl. Then you just knock of the shell , add a little hot sauce and man... you're eatin. As far as being caught belly up out in the yard... I haight it when that happens.

Latest posts

Back