Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did we ever start a thread on gasket scans?
I don't remember, but here are two scans I did this morning.

One is a gear case cover gasket for a Poulan 744. Yeah like that's going to be something most will need. :hmm3grin2orange: Mainly I just wanted to copy likely the last new gasket in captivity.

The other is the complete gasket set for most 200-300 series saws.

These were scanned into PDF's at full size so just choose 100% when printing and you will have the exact gasket pattern you need.

The output gear (and the wad of weld bead securing it to the output shaft) is what has my attention. Is that how it came from the factory? Looks like a 'field expedient' fix to me...

You incorrect, that's factory and while its not the prettiest, its better then what the picture shows and it has held up for a long time and this saw was used a lot from the looks of it.

I'm not incorrect this time Mark. I didn't say that it was a field fix (and not OEM)............................just that it looks that way to me.:D

Mo.Jim's sandcast.

Model 65.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Did we ever start a thread on gasket scans?
I don't remember, but here are two scans I did this morning.

One is a gear case cover gasket for a Poulan 744. Yeah like that's going to be something most will need. :hmm3grin2orange: Mainly I just wanted to copy likely the last new gasket in captivity.

The other is the complete gasket set for most 200-300 series saws.

These were scanned into PDF's at full size so just choose 100% when printing and you will have the exact gasket pattern you need.

Thanks for doing that Mark.

Sitting in the parking lot of Yankee Candle in Williamsburg waiting to pick up a rather large Poulan item. I will post pictures once I get back to Richmond.

Ok, its been 2 1/2 hrs, you back in Richmond yet? :laugh:

Yup, the seller was 30 minutes late meeting me due to traffic coming from Va. Beach and I had to stop at Olive Garden to fill my belly. I hope to be able to bring this to Gregg's next month, it measures 4' x 6' and is from a dealer in Elizabeth City, NC.

Poulansign_zps2f71e122.jpg

Yup, the seller was 30 minutes late meeting me due to traffic coming from Va. Beach and I had to stop at Olive Garden to fill my belly. I hope to be able to bring this to Gregg's next month, it measures 4' x 6' and is from a dealer in Elizabeth City, NC.

Poulansign_zps2f71e122.jpg

Gary, that's a major score! I'm so glad you got that, and its going where its appreciated.

Got the 744 done today. It really was just getting to the stage where it needed some serious attention, but its a good runner now. Like I said I might start a thread later but for now, here it is done and a short video.

Its wearing a 21" roller nose bar for now, it will be getting its bow put back on it soon as I get a new chain for it, and in fact I'm meeting up with Chris Monday to pick one up from him.

attachment.php

I don't know why I cant embed the video but here is the link to it.

[video]http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/Modifiedmark/media/74421inchbar_zps7f71a015.mp4.html[/video]

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the pictures Carl.

Looks like Jim should have kept that 54 away from you and your paint jobs. :laugh:

This saw sat in my basement for several years,it cost me the price of the new stihl chain he had bought for it. I put it in the basement and fogot about it. I decided to check it out this week and found it had a 3/8's bar,a 404 chain and a 1/2" sprocket.:msp_confused: It had good spark,so I proceeded to check the compresson,first pull hit 80 and the starter quit on the second pull. I haven't had time to address that problem yet. What is the secret to removing the carb on this beast,first check looked like it might be a real pita.

This saw sat in my basement for several years,it cost me the price of the new stihl chain he had bought for it. I put it in the basement and fogot about it. I decided to check it out this week and found it had a 3/8's bar,a 404 chain and a 1/2" sprocket.:msp_confused: It had good spark,so I proceeded to check the compresson,first pull hit 80 and the starter quit on the second pull. I haven't had time to address that problem yet. What is the secret to removing the carb on this beast,first check looked like it might be a real pita.

Well its not really a really bad PITA. :laugh:

Take the recoil off and you will find a cover by the flywheel you can take off to get to the left side nut for the carb mount. Pull the choke rod all the way out, loosen the screw that holds the throttle wire to the throttle linkage and pull the carb out the right side.

Well its not really a really bad PITA. :laugh:

Take the recoil off and you will find a cover by the flywheel you can take off to get to the left side nut for the carb mount. Pull the choke rod all the way out, loosen the screw that holds the throttle wire to the throttle linkage and pull the carb out the right side.

Thanks for the info Mark,I have to pull the recoil anyway to see why it's not engaging.

My $10 Poulan 3400

I just got my 3400 going after a carb rebuild. The old 16" banana bar needs more filing but I do have a new Carlton chain for it. It seems to be very smoky so I may not have the tuning correct yet. It feels strong! This one has a chainbrake and the hand guard seems too close to the top handle, keep banging my hand. Carb set about 1 turn out H & L I'm guessing that a good place to start.

Regards,

Lee

Back