Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well heading to Vermont for a week. Anxious to see and run my Husky 288XP. Had it mailed directly there so who knows. Also received my 245A. No spark but I started to tear it apart and cleaned up points a bit. Noticed that gap was quite wide so I reset at .017 in. Will have to wait till I return to see if I fixed anything. Might be the condenser but not having much exp. with point saws it could be something else. I disconnected kill switch so I know it isn't the switch. Comp is 120 but I don't have a reference point.
Bob

Bob, The Chainsaw Service Manual specs the magneto air gap for your 245A should be 0.012".

Don't forget the coil and plug wire. The air gap on the coil is still critical on points saws.

Will check both. Thanks. Having a tug of war trying to replace flywheel, doesn't seem to want to fit over key, which I had to remove. Unusual setup per my exeriences, as you can't remove recoil assembly w/o removing flywheel key. I'll work on it when I return

Nice Craftsman version of the Poulan 2300AV you have there.

Thanks... I found a picture of the Poulan 2300AV and it looks like a match. Out of curiosity what's the difference between a 2300AV and a 2300AVC? What does the C stand for?

My dad bought this saw back in the mid 80’s. It was a returned saw that had been used and refurbished. When ever my dad got this saw out to use I always knew there would be a lot of cussing. He always had trouble starting it. The starter handle was really uncomfortable and hard to grip and the compression would cause the handle to rip right out of your hand. It helped to have a heavy glove on. I’ve since replaced the starter handle with a more comfortable one. It always starts right up for me.

Last edited:
Thanks... I found a picture of the Poulan 2300AV and it looks like a match. Out of curiosity what the difference between a 2300AV and a 2300AVC? What does the C stand for?

My dad bought this saw back in the mid 80’s. It was a returned saw that had been used and refurbished. When ever my dad got this saw out to use I always knew there would be a lot of cussing. He always had trouble starting it. The starter handle was really uncomfortable and hard to grip and the compression would cause the handle to rip right out of your hand. It helped to have a heavy glove on. I’ve since replaced the starter handle with a more comfortable one. It always starts right up for me.

By AVC I believe you mean CVA correct? CVA stands for Countervibe automatic. It has a fully isolated handle set up, rear and front.

Here is my 2300CVA for reference.

attachment.php

The one thing about these Micro based saws is that if they have been setting for some time they will take a few more pulls to start as that fuel line on them is pretty long and it takes a bit more then usual to get the gas pumped up too them.

Small price to pay for the over all setup for ease of maintence and such on them though.

By AVC I believe you mean CVA correct? CVA stands for Countervibe automatic. It has a fully isolated handle set up, rear and front.

attachment.php

The one thing about these Micro based saws is that if they have been setting for some time they will take a few more pulls to start as that fuel line on them is pretty long and it takes a bit more then usual to get the gas pumped up too them.

Small price to pay for the over all setup for ease of maintence and such on them though.

Nice saw Mark. All the Micro based saws I find are rigid mount. Great shape also

Picked up a Poulan tool

If you guys own a 200/300 series Poulan saw you know what a pain it is to remove the clutch without a clutch too. I have gotten by for years with a homemade tool to remove the clutch, and while it worked it wasnt the best.

I finally found the part# for the original Poulan tool and found it still could be ordered so I got one picked up yesterday.

Can't beat the price either. You guys with 306 or 245 saws will want one.

Part # included in the picture.

attachment.php

My parts came in today for the 3450. Couple new isolators. Still on the hunt for the filter housing keeper nut. Seems that is the only part that is discontinued that I need. Got her cleaned up a little and thrown back together. Other than the vangaurd chain I was impressed. Pulled a 20" 3/8 better than I expected. Couple pics for you guys.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Oh yeah, I did mean CVA. I knew it was some combination of the letters. So I take it the regular 2300 is very similar to both the 2300AV and 2300CVA but without anti vibration?

Oh yeah, I did mean CVA. I knew it was some combination of the letters. So I take it the regular 2300 is very similar to both the 2300AV and 2300CVA but without anti vibration?

Same saw without the AV and extra weight that comes with the AV.

My parts came in today for the 3450. Couple new isolators. Still on the hunt for the filter housing keeper nut. Seems that is the only part that is discontinued that I need. Got her cleaned up a little and thrown back together. Other than the vangaurd chain I was impressed. Pulled a 20" 3/8 better than I expected. Couple pics for you guys.

That saw looks pretty good!

Sorry I don't have one of those nuts but seems I seen one on ebay in someones store here a few days ago.

I'll bet Chainsawr Scott may have one, same as on a 3750, Poulan Pro 330 and 380 as well.

I have not run a 3450 but I figure its really the same as my PP330 and I have beat the drum for them before as pretty well running saws. They really fit my hands well and I like the way the controls are laid out as well as any saw I have run before.

That saw looks pretty good!

Sorry I don't have one of those nuts but seems I seen one on ebay in someones store here a few days ago.

I'll bet Chainsawr Scott may have one, same as on a 3750, Poulan Pro 330 and 380 as well.

I have not run a 3450 but I figure its really the same as my PP330 and I have beat the drum for them before as pretty well running saws. They really fit my hands well and I like the way the controls are laid out as well as any saw I have run before.

Thanks for the info. I agree on the controls. Very comfortable to hold and the kill switch is easy access. Filter system is the best I have seen on a "newer poulan" also.

Thanks for the info. I agree on the controls. Very comfortable to hold and the kill switch is easy access. Filter system is the best I have seen on a "newer poulan" also.

Hey mweba, I have a filter cover off of a purple 3750 Tim Allen saw you can have. I had bought it to get the gasket off of. It still has the knob on it, Just PM me address, and I'll send it to ya, if ya want it.

:cheers:
Gregg,

I love my 5200 but

I need an ignition module for a 5200 poulan, anyone have a worn out countervibe with a spark?

Latest posts

Back