Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Gregg, a 4200, 4000 or S25 would have been an amazing find, but I am very happy with this Micro. I haven't mounted the b-c, we'll see.
J, yeah that's the saw. I emailed the guy Monday, he held it and he had like 50 hits.

Recent Poulan Acquisition - 4200 Countervibe

Just thought I would introduce myself,

I live in Launceston, Australia which is on the island state of Tasmania, I was given earlier this year a Countervibe 4200 from my mother which she inherited from her father who used it for cutting fence posts while not falling trees in the Snowy Mountains.

Was interested in the approximate age of the saw, displacement and any other information you guys want to share.

I use it currently to cut my firewood, here is a list of repairs and maintenance I have done on the saw

1. Replaced the fuel line from the fuel case to the carb
2. Cleaned the carb, though seriously considering a kit for it
3. Flushed the cylinder and checked for defects on piston rings
4. Removed the oiler and cleaned it, due to blockage
5. Removed the muffler and cleaned it as well as making and fitting a heat resistant gasket
6. Resealed the main two piece case because of a bar oil leak
7. Complimented the existing monster thick 16 inch bar with a 20 inch bar to tackle the larger wood down here

The case is fairly knocked up underneath and the sprocket and clutch cover internally I suspect has suffered a snapped chain. Just retuned the carb today and adjusted the idle getting a higher sustained maximum rpm, whereas it struggled a little before to hit high rpms. I understand it is an 'Old' saw but at the moment it is all I have though I am saving to pick up either a MS 660 or a 395 XP, reason being is that there is no longer a real market for Poulan here, perhaps since Husky bought Poulan out. The reason for the bigger saw is I have access to some big gums down here which are 150 foot tall in your scale and have a trunk width of 5 foot still 40 foot up the trunk.

To give you an indication the saw has cut about 5 metric tonnes this winter, a metric tonne being about 2200 pounds I believe. Anyhow look forward to any responses, information and advice.

Just thought I would introduce myself,

I live in Launceston, Australia which is on the island state of Tasmania, I was given earlier this year a Countervibe 4200 from my mother which she inherited from her father who used it for cutting fence posts while not falling trees in the Snowy Mountains.

Was interested in the approximate age of the saw, displacement and any other information you guys want to share.

I use it currently to cut my firewood, here is a list of repairs and maintenance I have done on the saw

1. Replaced the fuel line from the fuel case to the carb
2. Cleaned the carb, though seriously considering a kit for it
3. Flushed the cylinder and checked for defects on piston rings
4. Removed the oiler and cleaned it, due to blockage
5. Removed the muffler and cleaned it as well as making and fitting a heat resistant gasket
6. Resealed the main two piece case because of a bar oil leak
7. Complimented the existing monster thick 16 inch bar with a 20 inch bar to tackle the larger wood down here

The case is fairly knocked up underneath and the sprocket and clutch cover internally I suspect has suffered a snapped chain. Just retuned the carb today and adjusted the idle getting a higher sustained maximum rpm, whereas it struggled a little before to hit high rpms. I understand it is an 'Old' saw but at the moment it is all I have though I am saving to pick up either a MS 660 or a 395 XP, reason being is that there is no longer a real market for Poulan here, perhaps since Husky bought Poulan out. The reason for the bigger saw is I have access to some big gums down here which are 150 foot tall in your scale and have a trunk width of 5 foot still 40 foot up the trunk.

To give you an indication the saw has cut about 5 metric tonnes this winter, a metric tonne being about 2200 pounds I believe. Anyhow look forward to any responses, information and advice.

Model: 4200

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MANUFACTURED BY: POULAN (BEAIRD POULAN)
SHREVEPORT, LA U.S.A.
SERIES OR ASSEMBLY NUMBER:
YEAR INTRODUCED: 1975
YEAR DISCONTINUED: 1980
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 4.2 cu. in. (68cc)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS: 1
CYLINDER BORE: 1.845 in. (46.86mm)
PISTON STROKE: 1.562 in. (39.69mm)
CYLINDER TYPE: Aluminum with chrome plated bore
INTAKE METHOD: Reed valves
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.:
WEIGHT : 16 lbs. 8 oz. powerhead only
OPERATOR CONFIGURATION: One Man operation
HANDLEBAR SYSTEM: Anti-vibration
CHAIN BRAKE: none
CLUTCH: Centrifugal
DRIVE TYPE: Direct
CONSTRUCTION: Die cast magnesium
MAGNETO TYPE: Phelon electronic (2 piece)
CARBURETOR: Tillotson HS-168A series
MAJOR REPAIR KIT: RK-23HS
MINOR REPAIR KIT: DG-5HS/T
AIR FILTER SYSTEM: Flocked wire screen cartridge
STARTER TYPE: Poulan automatic rewind
OIL PUMP: Automatic, gear driven
OPERATING RPM: 7,500
IGNITION TIMING: fixed
BREAKER POINT SETTING: none
FLYWHEEL/COIL AIR GAP: 0.012 to 0.015 in. (0.30 to 0.38 mm)
SPARK PLUG TYPE: Champion CJ6
SPARK PLUG GAP: 0.025 in. (0.63mm)
CRANKSHAFT MAIN BEARINGS: Ball
FUEL TANK CAPACITY: 26 fl. oz.
FUEL OIL RATIO: 40:1
RECOMMENDED FUEL OCTANE: Regular
MIX OIL SPECIFICATION: Poulan two-cycle chain saw mix oil
CHAIN PITCH: 3/8 in.
CHAIN TYPE: Oregon 72
BAR MOUNT PATTERN:
SHORTEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 16 in. (40cm)
LONGEST GUIDE BAR SUPPLIED: 36 in. (91cm)
COLOUR SCHEME: Poulan Lime Green
PAINT CODES:
ILLUSTRATED PARTS LIST:
SERVICE MANUAL:

-------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Kilmathian,

Welcome to the site!

You have one heck of a saw there.
Did the information Spike5400 posted answer your questions?

Be careful about trying to squeeze too many RPMs from that old girl as that is a major cause of lean seizure. They like to run with a nice audible "four stroke" out of the wood.
The 4200 is advertised as a 68cc but I think it is actually on the verge of a 69cc but they run like a much bigger saw.
I have a 24" bar on two of mine and a 20 on one and they pull just the same.
I actually ran a 4200 with a 28" and it pulled that bar just about as well as it did a 20".
The 660 and 395 are good saws too but if your 4200 has good compression and is tuned right they won't do anything the 4200 won't do, just faster. (sometimes)
Actually in 20" wood the 4200 will stay right on their heels.

Some of the parts are getting hard to find for it but they are still around.
If you stumble across an ignition and an air filter I would pick them up for spares as they are getting scarce. If you have one on the shelf, yours will never fail!LOL
Give a shout if you have any other questions.

Mike

Spike,

Thank you very much for posting the specifications of the saw for me, there had been some conjecture between myself and an uncle as to the physical displacement, looking back on it maybe he was pulling my chain. His suggestion was the displacement was around 85cc.

Mike,

Thank you for the warm welcome, here in Australia Poulan saws of the vintage of the 4200 were not sold in great quantity, not like the crap Poulans and McCulloch the try to flog off at Bunnings (Like Home Depot). I have seen its later cousin the Countervibe 4000 on ebay, though the gentleman selling it wants $250. Items like good saws do not depreciate as quickly here and cost more than in the states. To buy a new MS 660 or 395XP here you are looking at $1800 without accessories.

Anyhow back to my point because of the limited availability there are virtually no spares floating around for the poulan. That said I have had experience at DIY injection moulding of ABS plastic and could make a template mould for the air filter, so I will keep you guys posted on that development. I was hoping with parts like the ignition, I could perhaps use this site or contacts here who could facilitate the transfer of such items to me with the motivation of a small amount of remuneration for their troubles? Basically act as an intermediary so the parts get here to Australia.

My only other question is how hard are the rubber mounts between the cases to get? The ones on my saw are shot to hell perished. Thank you for introducing yourself and making me feel welcome, will endeavor to get some pics of the saw up and the tree I hope to turn into firewood.

Justin

Kilmathian,

I will help you in any way I can with your quest for spares.
The rubber bushings are NLA new I think but I will check on that.
If you want to fabricate parts for these saws those would be a good start.
Occasionally NOS parts for these come up on e-bay.

Mike

Went to the flea market looking for a Wild Thing

And found this instead. :cheers:
attachment.php

attachment.php

It starts and runs but the vent line must be bad as it pours gas out when you turn it over.

Might go through the carb as well.

Not a bad find but there wasn't a Wild Thing to be found. I dont want to here em complain if I whip them in the WT races with a 2500... :)

Got a couple more this weekend

Below is my $1.75 Micro XXV Counter Vibe I won on e-Bay last week. Needs a fuel line and probably a carb rebuild and I will throw one of my used chains on it.

PoulanXXV005.jpg

PoulanXXV007.jpg

Also picked up a decent 3400 Counter Vibe this morning off of Craigslist.

PoulanXXV009.jpg

PoulanXXV011.jpg

I have another 3400 coming in the mail this week and will post that once it arrives.

Below is my $1.75 Micro XXV Counter Vibe I won on e-Bay last week. Needs a fuel line and probably a carb rebuild and I will throw one of my used chains on it.

Also picked up a decent 3400 Counter Vibe this morning off of Craigslist.

I have another 3400 coming in the mail this week and will post that once it arrives.

Nice, you dont see those Micro CVA's very often. I'll double your money on it. LOL :)

That 3400 looks way better then decent. Nice saw, you done good.

And found this instead. :cheers:
attachment.php

attachment.php

It starts and runs but the vent line must be bad as it pours gas out when you turn it over.

Might go through the carb as well.

Not a bad find but there wasn't a Wild Thing to be found. I dont want to here em complain if I whip them in the WT races with a 2500... :)

Nice score mark! I had one just like that, but I traded it for a wizard. I cut a lot of hardwood with that dayton.

Whoda thunk that a Wildthing would be something someone was looking for!

And especially that you wouldn't be able to find one!!!:monkey:

Mike

Yeah kinda wierd huh?

What else is wierd is I told you I was just keeping one 3400 from now on, then bring this orange one home.

Well I'm kinda interested in the rebadged saws.....

Got it tore apart to clean it up and got no major surprises. Just needs the normal fuel system stuff.

Like I said it did run but noticed the oiler wasnt working so I pointed it out to the seller and that got me haggleing with the guy over the price.

He finally seen it my way. LOL

When I took it apart I seen right away why it wasnt oiling. The outer bar plate was in place of the inner and turned backwards. I think it will oil now. LOL

Latest posts

Back