Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Poulan used the banana bars on their saws starting in the late '70s.
#1 You could still get them with a regular bars with sprocket nose and replacable tip all thru Poulan. (according to the 1983 parts catalog)
#2 If you dont like the bars, its cheap and easy swap.
I too dont like them but have have a few mounted on some saws. I have one on my restored 3400. I think it looks good on that saw.
Bottom line, put some 3/8'' non safety chain on and it will cut just as fast as a regular bar. You cant flip it. True, but I have enough saws I dont think I could wear one out anyway. As far as big brother is concerned...compared to what goes on today (sensors, catlytic converters, limiting caps ect..) its almost a non issue.:monkey:
Totally agree!! I have several of them on Poulan 2000 saws and doubt if they ever wear out, they don't get used that much.

Only one well placed round to fix stupid?

You would have to put the round in the back of the truck right against the cab if it is to be well placed.

Otherwise if you apply the brakes in an emergency it could fly forward and dent the cab of the truck or break the rear window, that would be stupid.

I personally like to split my rounds before I put them in the truck, it stops them from rolling around, especially if I only have one.

But then again it is not economical to haul just one round, you might as well have a box full of rounds.....20 or 50 depending on the diameter.

If you have a box full of rounds the placement of the individual rounds isn't as critical.

And you don't have to worry about violating rule number 5. Something you wouldn't expect from an Arboristsite MVP.

Painting that rule with a mighty broad brush there ain'tcha Lil' Pard?
But you'll still get a gold star for the day.:cheers:

Mike

I would prefer to be thought of as ignorant rather than stupid.

thank you for the gold star:

You are posting in the Poulan thread so obviously neither of those categorizations are correct!!!

I certainly wasn't directing that comment at you and you will see in time that I'm not a guy to imply anything.
If I feel like I need to say something I don't mince words.

You MAY be a tad uninformed, but not ignorant and certainly not stupid.

Mike

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/tls/1887853939.html

3.7 Tim Allen edition

Rebuilt and only $50:cheers: Anyone want to grab this and ship it to me?

That is not a bad price for that saw. Its the green & purple version of my Poulan Pro Super 380. A saw that I have been using allot lately. 61cc's and lighter than my beloved counter vibes. I'm not sure, but it might not have the plated cyl. of the 380. Mark or someone might know. I never had my hands on one of them to know.
To my knowledge, the 3450 & 3750 are basically the same saws as the Poulan Pro 330 & 380. $50 is not a bad price for a basically new 61 cc saw.:)
Unfortunately, I think your closer to Wisconsin, than I am. lol

:cheers:
Gregg,

That is not a bad price for that saw. Its the green & purple version of my Poulan Pro Super 380. A saw that I have been using allot lately. 61cc's and lighter than my beloved counter vibes. I'm not sure, but it might not have the plated cyl. of the 380. Mark or someone might know. I never had my hands on one of them to know.
To my knowledge, the 3450 & 3750 are basically the same saws as the Poulan Pro 330 & 380. $50 is not a bad price for a basically new 61 cc saw.:)
Unfortunately, I think your closer to Wisconsin, than I am. lol

Gregg,

My former neighbor had a 3750 Tim Allen Bad Boy that did not have a plated cylinder. It was always vibrating the muffler off. Even at idle you could hear it vibrating the rear handle. Did they fix that when they built your PP380 ?

My former neighbor had a 3750 Tim Allen Bad Boy that did not have a plated cylinder. It was always vibrating the muffler off. Even at idle you could hear it vibrating the rear handle. Did they fix that when they built your PP380 ?

Funny you mention that.:laugh: I bought my 380 as a "fixer upper", I repalced allot of parts, including the cyl. I made numerous test cuts with it, was fine. This spring I dropped a fair sized hickory with it, was bucking it up..and lost one of the muffler screws! Had to use my metal detector to find it, but did, eventually. Been fine since. Havn't noticed any excessive vibration in the handle you speak of though.

Gregg,

I have seen the reference to unplated cylinders before. How do they stop the rings from destroying the cylinders if there isn't some kind of hard coating on them?:newbie:

Beats me:confused: But they do a pretty good job. The 3400 cylinders are unplated also, with a chromed piston. But they last for years and years.
Most of Poulans bigger saws are just the opposite. Chromed cyl. and un-plated piston. Must just be the right combination of alloys that make it work. And work they do!!:D

Gregg,

I have seen the reference to unplated cylinders before. How do they stop the rings from destroying the cylinders if there isn't some kind of hard coating on them?:newbie:

Somewhere in the AS archives this question was answered as the plain aluminum cylinders were alumasil which was a high silicon aluminum. Maybe our new member moparman will ring in. :)

Funny you mention that.:laugh: I bought my 380 as a "fixer upper", I repalced allot of parts, including the cyl. I made numerous test cuts with it, was fine. This spring I dropped a fair sized hickory with it, was bucking it up..and lost one of the muffler screws! Had to use my metal detector to find it, but did, eventually. Been fine since. Havn't noticed any excessive vibration in the handle you speak of though.

Gregg,

I fought with my muffler pretty much all of last year--on a 46cc farmhand (2775--I think.) It kept rattling apart on me. I broke the weld that held it all together. I tried bolts with lock nuts and thread lock and that lasted about 2 cuts. Each time it fell apart another piece fell off of it. Finally I put the shell back together with no guts at all and found some oversized tek screws and drove them into the threaded holes. It is kind of a permanent "fix." It has held together for about 4 tanks worth now. It is still loud as all get out--but much quieter than with nothing at all. She runs great like this. If I am doing damage (running lean, rich, etc) it hasn't shown up and even it if does this little saw has more than paid for itself many, many times over. I paid $199 for it at Home Depot. I have had it for about 8 years now and I have cut probably 40 cords with it over the years. If she dies, she dies, but I just cut with it again yesterday--fired right up and cut like a champ. She is showing her age--as the muffler issue can attest, but also, every bolt that is threaded into plastic (90% of them) on the housing and handles are stripped out and it is still the most finicky powertool I have ever used when it comes to having a perfectly spotless air filter. I clean it or replace it (I have bought probably a dozen in the last few years) every tank. If it is clean, and I mean perfect, she runs great--really well: starts right up 3-4 pulls, idles perfect and revs up nice and strong, but get 5 little specs of dust on the filter and she only revs up about 2/3's the way which isn't very fast. Overall, I can't complain at all about my green little monster. Hopefully she keeps kicking for several more years.

Scott, your off base here. The 3750 did indeed have a plated cyl. They also share the same P/C part numbers with the Super 380.

Did you also know that the type 1 3450 may have been unplated but the type 2 and 4 were plated shareing P/C's with the PP330?

Guess what the type 3 3450 used? It used a 60cc 3750/380 P/C.

I also never experianced the mufflers falling off any of these series of saws. In fact I think there pretty darn smooth runners.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back