Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they meant for you to put a drop of oil on the pad to keep the rubbing block on the points lubricated. I usually slip just a bit of grease on the side of the rubbing block though. The felt pad rubs against the cam for the points and keeps the block lubricated. I think the next thing I'd suspect would be the coil. The way you described it is the way some coils go out..when they get warmed up they open up, when they cool back off they go back together.

He's talking about the round felt that surrounds the crank seal, not the little felt that rubs the crank that your thinking of.

He's talking about the round felt that surrounds the crank seal, not the little felt that rubs the crank that your thinking of.

Mark, I may be confusing evreyone and I apologize. I'm attaching the round felt(cork) piece I was referring to. Not using it I can set points at .017 but with it pushed down it won't get any smaller than about .030(at least). There is no little felt attached to the points that rubs the crank. Possibly worn off.
Bob

Yikes I can hardly believe it, but the guy finaly sent me an e-mail! I hope this works out. :confused:

It wont replace my 4200 but it should be a nice saw, a little larger than my 330. I have never even seen one of these things before. :cheers:

Yes it is a decent saw for sure but no it will not replace a 4200.

Mark, I may be confusing evreyone and I apologize. I'm attaching the round felt(cork) piece I was referring to. Not using it I can set points at .017 but with it pushed down it won't get any smaller than about .030(at least). There is no little felt attached to the points that rubs the crank. Possibly worn off.
Bob

Nope you were not confusing me! Thats the one I was talking about. That is supposed to sit on top the crank seal and be under the points but they seem to swell up with age and do just as you say. Throw it away, set the points and try it again.

The one that lubes the point block is mounted under the recoil where it serves as a point box.

Yikes I can hardly believe it, but the guy finaly sent me an e-mail! I hope this works out. :confused:

It wont replace my 4200 but it should be a nice saw, a little larger than my 330. I have never even seen one of these things before. :cheers:

Good news and good luck, but if you find it too ugly for you, let me know, I got a place for it.

I will do that. I only wanted one freaking saw and now I have a pile of them but not the one I want! I had a great 2 saw plan until my barn burned and I was infected with a relatively mild case of CAD. (unemployment treats the symptoms but is not a permanent cure)

I am 60 years old and have 10 years on a quadriple heart bypass (they couldn't get to the other 3 blockages on the back side)

My son is dead so if I die I will be leaving all my crap to my wife. She is going to look at the pile of chain saws and say WTF? I am going to tell her it is all good stuff just post it here and you will be treated fairly. We all know old Poulans aren't worth the effort needed to throw them into the dumpster...:hmm3grin2orange: We need to spread that message....Those NOS 4200's went for sick prices!

But perhaps the P85 and John Deere 60V are. :cheers:

I could just give you my phone # and make it easy on your wife!:greenchainsaw:

That works for me, but I am trying my best to not check out to soon. I just got my unemployment extended for another 15 weeks, so I am hoping to hang on at least that long...:hmm3grin2orange:

Oh I got to tell this story. It should probably be on another thread.....if someone knows how to move it please do...

My unemployment ran out..(5 weeks ago) .I thought oh well that is that. Then I hear about an extension. Hmm I wonder if that applies to me. Can't seem to find out, so I use the computer to contact the unemployment people. I tell them that I am out of money and hope but I am unable to contact them on the phone because they are so busy. I have spent a couple hundred minutes trying to get through..and nothing. They send me a message back telling me that they need more information, I am supposed to call them. Didn't they read my origional e-mail note? Why didn't they ask me for the information in the e-mail? I drove 200 miles today to get to a problem resolution center and speak with a human being. They were very helpful. I showed her the e-mail response and she just shook her head. I think the person who typed that should be in the unimployment line right next to me. They are not contributing much to the system other than drawing a paycheck.

Anyone want to hire a half smart gimpy old guy who can only walk good about every other day but is willing to sweat as hard as necessary to get a job done and not complain even if the wife says I am killing myself? I can lift about 100 pounds over my head and I don't complain if I am still breathing.

Stephen,

your story is NOT OUT OF THE ORDINARY... i just hit my one year mark... ugh.

My son is dead so if I die I will be leaving all my crap to my wife. She is going to look at the pile of chain saws and say WTF?
In addition to 75 chain saws I have 11 farm tractors, 3 riding lawn mowers, about 20 cars and trucks, 5 horse drawn vehicles and a 4000 square foot shed and an entire basement full of stuff.

I suspect most of it will be given away or thrown out....

Poulan 4200

Gentlemen,

I am a bit perturbed, wanted to buy a Bucking Spike for the NOS 4200 I have coming from the States but the one on Ebay - Bowmaster will not ship it internationally apparently to much hassle for a 10 USD Spike with maybe 10 USD postage. Is there anyone out there that has one or knows of one that is available to buy and who does not have a problem shipping to Australia at my expense.

I really do not understand how my money is any different to anyone else? In the high age of electronic banking and finance it really is all the same. Anyhow enough of my rant if anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated. PM or post in this thread will be fine.

Justin

Nope you were not confusing me! Thats the one I was talking about. That is supposed to sit on top the crank seal and be under the points but they seem to swell up with age and do just as you say. Throw it away, set the points and try it again.

The one that lubes the point block is mounted under the recoil where it serves as a point box.

Found it!

No, not as far as I can see that 295 sprocket fitting. That 4218 is a differnt series of saws, then the 295/4620 saws.

The 4218 is more along the Wildthing family.

so i'll ask the question before i search.... did the wildthing in any form ever come with a .325 sprocket? i am searching as i'm typing this so if i find the answer myself i will gladly correct this...

3.4 , 3.7

i have a red craftsman 3.4 (poulan) with the aluminum cyl/chrome piston. it is scored and i am looking for a p/c for it. were all the craftsman the chrome piston version?. i am looking at a grey 3.7 (poulan), is it also the chrome piston version ? the owner doesn't want me to pull the muffler. how can i tell ?
which came first, the red series or grey series saws ? are there plated cylinder versions of both ? what's the story on these ?:confused:

i have a red craftsman 3.4 (poulan) with the aluminum cyl/chrome piston. it is scored and i am looking for a p/c for it. were all the craftsman the chrome piston version?. i am looking at a grey 3.7 (poulan), is it also the chrome piston version ? the owner doesn't want me to pull the muffler. how can i tell ?
which came first, the red series or grey series saws ? are there plated cylinder versions of both ? what's the story on these ?:confused:

I'll take a stab at it. :) To my knowledge, the Craftsman 3.4's were the same as the Poulan 3400's, chromed pistons. The 3.7 versions were all chromed cyl's. like the Poulan 3700. I think the grey versions came after the red ones, but that is just a guess on my part. You might run into some of the grey ones with chromed piston. I THINK Poulans 3800 was that way. I don't have one, so just a guess on my part. There...That made things clear as mud for ya, didn't it. :dizzy:

:cheers:
Gregg,

thanks gregg, your mud is much clearer than where my head was before,lol.
think i'll take a shot at this grey one then. it's a little bigger to boot.
how big a p/c could i put on the 3.4 if i were to find a set ?

A former pulpwooder neighbor has a 3400 that has a 4000 piston and cylinder. Try a search for 3400 to 4000 conversion.

Try This: Part No. For Poulan 3700 Chrome Cylinder is 530012069
Part No. For Poulan 3800 Aluminum Cylinder Is 530012067
Craftsman 3.7 Model No. 358.356090 Calls For P/N 530012067
Cylinder. I Think This is The Grey Saw.
Get The Craftsman Model No. Off The Saw & Look Up The
Cylinder P/N @ Searspartsdirect.com.
Hope This helps.

The conversion is VERY EASY.:) Thats the way I built a 4000, from what started out as a 3400. Its a simple matter of swapping the piston & cylinder.
I took mine a little further, and wanted to make it total 4000 as possible.

I ran it for some time with just the P/C swap, then eventually swapped out other parts, such as the recoil starter & flywheel, muffler, air cleaner, clutch cover and some decals.

Its a little more difficult to find 4000 parts, especially P/C. Its much easier to turn it into a 3700. Truth be told, there is not a huge difference in the power of the 3700/4000 in the wood. There IS a bigger difference in the 3400 to the others though.:clap:

Picture010.jpg

Picture002.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Latest posts

Back