Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks to all. great info.
barney & scott-i like the idea of 'free' cc's especially if it makes a jump in performance like gregg sez.
bo- i checked sears direct like you said. the saw is the same model no. grey 3.7 model you cited. cylinderis $107 and piston $52. it didn't say which was plated or not. i'll look for the poulan no. too.
gregg- that is one clean conversion on your 4000. what's that tube on the muffler?
redunshee- yeah, i'd be interested in the 3700 if it looks good, let me know when you check it out. i could be waiting around a long time for a 4000 p/c.
maybe a little muffler mod and gasket tinkering too.

gregg- that is one clean conversion on your 4000. what's that tube on the muffler?

LOL, That isn't the stock 4000 muffler. That is one that Modified Mark made.:) Its a dandy. It resembles the mufflers on the bigger 4200, 5200 saws etc. I still have the original 4000 muffler, but Mark's are a little more Free-Flowing.:clap:

:cheers:
Gregg,

barney & scott-i like the idea of 'free' cc's especially if it makes a jump in performance like gregg sez.
bo- i checked sears direct like you said. the saw is the same model no. grey 3.7 model you cited. cylinderis $107 and piston $52. it didn't say which was plated or not. i'll look for the poulan no. too.
redunshee- yeah, i'd be interested in the 3700 if it looks good, let me know when you check it out. i could be waiting around a long time for a 4000 p/c.

I'll pull it off of the saw and check it out.

I'll take a stab at it. :) To my knowledge, the Craftsman 3.4's were the same as the Poulan 3400's, chromed pistons. The 3.7 versions were all chromed cyl's. like the Poulan 3700. I think the grey versions came after the red ones, but that is just a guess on my part. You might run into some of the grey ones with chromed piston. I THINK Poulans 3800 was that way. I don't have one, so just a guess on my part. There...That made things clear as mud for ya, didn't it. :dizzy:

:cheers:
Gregg,

Id say your right on Gregg. My 2 red 3.7s have chrome cyls, while my black/grey 3.7 has a chrome piston. The red saws are '84 and '85. The grey saw is also an '85 which confuses things a bit. 1985 may have been a swing year, you never know with these saws, but the fact remains that the red/black saws pre-date the grey/black saws. Also sears caries a ton of parts for these saws still. I use Sears parts direct on line. Got parts for my 3.7 and 2.8.

so i'll ask the question before i search.... did the wildthing in any form ever come with a .325 sprocket? i am searching as i'm typing this so if i find the answer myself i will gladly correct this...

I can pretty much say for certain that most of the wildthing family did not ever come with a rim and drum or a .325 pitch sprocket.

I have had some guys tell me that the Husky 36/46, 136/146 did come with a rim and drum and it will fit the Wildthing, but I myself have not verified it yet and I find that odd since they use the same part # as the pp295.

so i'll ask the question before i search.... did the wildthing in any form ever come with a .325 sprocket? i am searching as i'm typing this so if i find the answer myself i will gladly correct this...

Id say your right on Gregg. My 2 red 3.7s have chrome cyls, while my black/grey 3.7 has a chrome piston. The red saws are '84 and '85. The grey saw is also an '85 which confuses things a bit. 1985 may have been a swing year, you never know with these saws, but the fact remains that the red/black saws pre-date the grey/black saws. Also sears caries a ton of parts for these saws still. I use Sears parts direct on line. Got parts for my 3.7 and 2.8.

Joe I agree with everything you say except the part about all the red 3.7 saws having a plated cyl as they did not. Some had the unplated 3800 top end on them. I have seen this first hand.

I agree for sure with the "you never know" part for sure, especially with rebadged saws.

Joe I agree with everything you say except the part about all the red 3.7 saws having a plated cyl as they did not. Some had the unplated 3800 top end on them. I have seen this first hand.

I agree for sure with the "you never know" part for sure, especially with rebadged saws.

That makes sense. Look at the 2 I have from '85. one plated cyl, one plated piston. And...I have a 2.8 that has a chrome cyl, not supposed to be there but it is.

Check your PM's

grey 3.7

FWIW-i just looked at a grey 3.7 craftsman /poulan and it had the plated piston. it looked clean inside. it was model no. 358.356090.

Dayton 2Z463B

Picked up saw and was surprised to see a compression release on cylinder. There is none on my Poulan 245A. Fuel tank was leaking and gasket was shot. Used some Dirko HT and will have to see how it works. Compression was 125 so while not great I feel saw should run okay. Will test tomorrow. Also has electronic ignition.

Picked up saw and was surprised to see a compression release on cylinder. There is none on my Poulan 245A. Fuel tank was leaking and gasket was shot. Used some Dirko HT and will have to see how it works. Compression was 125 so while not great I feel saw should run okay. Will test tomorrow. Also has electronic ignition.

I've been told those aren't the best but I haven't had any trouble with the compression release on my Dayton. I guess a lot of people remove them. Mine's staying until it gives me a reason to get rid of it.

counter vibe 3400

Hello Poulan guys

Putting my pp295 project on hold...

I came across a Poulan 3400 today
with manual oiler also. It runs and cuts and the owner wants $40, negotiable. Starts easy idles good but lacks a little zip in the cut as she is right now.
Is this a better base saw to pickup and play with, Posters here seem to like this little saw
What do you think? sorry no picks yet, worth the gamble?
P

The 3400 is a lot better built saw than your 295!!!

Pull the muffler and look at the P/C.
You know now what a bad one looks like so you should be able to determine a good one.
Take a compression check and if it comes in at 120 or better, buy it!
If it comes in lower negotiate your best deal and buy it.

It is no secret that I think the 3400-3700-4000 Poulans are the best DESIGNED saw ever made.
I would love to see one built exactly like it today using todays materials.

Mike

Talk him down to $30 and then ship it to me. I have the original one I bought in the early '80's torn down for a rebuild and have 2 others (one with a bow attachment) as well as a 4000. Love them all.

Latest posts

Back