Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Poulan guys

Putting my pp295 project on hold...

I came across a Poulan 3400 today
with manual oiler also. It runs and cuts and the owner wants $40, negotiable. Starts easy idles good but lacks a little zip in the cut as she is right now.
Is this a better base saw to pickup and play with, Posters here seem to like this little saw
What do you think? sorry no picks yet, worth the gamble?
P

Like the other guys have said, they are some of my favorites too!
Assuming the P/C are fine, just replace the fuel lines, filters, plug, and a kit for the carb. That all being done, they will last another 30 years.:clap:

:cheers:
Gregg,

Well i own it now: 3400

Ok Have a new addition at home for $35

With her little brother
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Hope they play well together, should cover my needs.

I have no Pressure tester (yet) but it may be on the low side. I'll open it up over the weekend to see what she really looks like. Viewing in the exhaust, the piston has a slight score on it but time will tell. Pictures will follow.

Rackers set way too high. rubbing/nibbling at the wood, will file down to spec and test it out on some wood...but she does cut

At least air filter was installed this time. Downloading IPL from here
http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/NIUS/NIUS1980/NIUS1980_64155.pdf
so I will see what I need and hopefully buy the right stuff first time round. only one small Poulan dealer within 25 miles, so will check pricing out of the big city if need be. new filter, plug and rings most likely for the first shot

Any specs would be appreciated for carb etc but will start with the standard 1 1/4 ish to start
P

Well you either got a 3700 with a 3400 starter cover on it,
Or a 3400 with a 3700 air filter cover! (most likely)

That should be a good saw it looks to have been taken care of, or have fairly low hours or both.
It should cut circles around a 295 if it has the compression and is tuned properly.
Congratulations,

Mike

Ok Have a new addition at home for $35

With her little brother
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Hope they play well together, should cover my needs.

I have no Pressure tester (yet) but it may be on the low side. I'll open it up over the weekend to see what she really looks like. Viewing in the exhaust, the piston has a slight score on it but time will tell. Pictures will follow.

Rackers set way too high. rubbing/nibbling at the wood, will file down to spec and test it out on some wood...but she does cut

At least air filter was installed this time. Downloading IPL from here
http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/NIUS/NIUS1980/NIUS1980_64155.pdf
so I will see what I need and hopefully buy the right stuff first time round. only one small Poulan dealer within 25 miles, so will check pricing out of the big city if need be. new filter, plug and rings most likely for the first shot

Any specs would be appreciated for carb etc but will start with the standard 1 1/4 ish to start
P

Not a bad looking saw. I see it has the 3700 style slotted air cleaner cover on it. And in case you havn't noticed, its appears to be missing a pretty important small part. The lower support/chain catcher peice on the lower right side. It bolts through the front anti-vibe bushings and handle bar.

That stuff can be found quite often at chainsawr.com or on ebay. Looks to be a replacement clutch cover, which is fine. The originals were magnesium.
I see its missing the hand gaurd also. I'm pretty sure those models all came with one. Two different styles. Apears some one did some parts swapping/replacing over time. You might check when you inspect the piston/cyl. whether it has 2 thick rings or 2 thin ones. I think all the 3400's had a chrome plated piston. (just to make sure what you have there) :clap:

Gregg,

I think with the decal on the front cover it should have the handguard on the wrap handle. As Gregg said, you need the chain catcher at the bottom. An Allen wrench will remove what you have left.

Also it appears that the choke lever has been replaced as none of the Countervibes I have owned had a round head. Enjoy the saw!

I think with the decal on the front cover it should have the handguard on the wrap handle. As Gregg said, you need the chain catcher at the bottom. An Allen wrench will remove what you have left.

Also it appears that the choke lever has been replaced as none of the Countervibes I have owned had a round head. Enjoy the saw!

the older ones have the round choke lever (and the craftsman models I think) as well as a round spacer in the rear handle (vs a hex shaped spacer)

the older ones have the round choke lever (and the craftsman models I think) as well as a round spacer in the rear handle (vs a hex shaped spacer)

You really can't go by that Nik!

They apparently swapped parts vendors pretty regularly.
I've seen every kind of combination you can imagine.
Pistons, rings, choke knobs handle spacers, hand guards and plastic/metal clutch covers are a mystery and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what was installed when or on what saw!
I saw a 3400 with thin rings once and I own a 4000 with thick rings!:dizzy:
My buddy in Michigan bought a really low hour saw with a MUCH later serial number than mine that had the round choke knob.

Mike

You really can't go by that Nik!

They apparently swapped parts vendors pretty regularly.
I've seen every kind of combination you can imagine.
Pistons, rings, choke knobs handle spacers, hand guards and plastic/metal clutch covers are a mystery and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what was installed when or on what saw!
I saw a 3400 with thin rings once and I own a 4000 with thick rings!:dizzy:
My buddy in Michigan bought a really low hour saw with a MUCH later serial number than mine that had the round choke knob.

Mike

I stand corrected (actually, I slouch in the couch drinking beer, corrected):cheers:
(btw, the plastic clutch cover threw me too as I have an older 3400 with a plastic cover. Or at least what I thought was older....)

Hi Nik!!
Just been browsing the Poulan thread, way back from the begining! Lots of posts since you started this Thread.:clap::clap::clap:

Gregg,

That is why he is one of the upper echelon "wheels" around here!:bowdown:

Yes, I thank you Nik for this thread!
What kind of beer are you drinking???
You know I'm only about an hour away!!!LOL

Mike

I probably shouldn't say anything, till I actually recieve it, and try getting it whipped into shape. But I can't help myself:dizzy: I finally WON a bid on Ebay for a 5200 Poulan!!! Kinda sad looking 5200, but 5200 nun the less.
Might turn out to be a pig in a poke....but it will be MY pig..:hmm3grin2orange:

Gregg,

That is why he is one of the upper echelon "wheels" around here!:bowdown:

Yes, I thank you Nik for this thread!
What kind of beer are you drinking???
You know I'm only about an hour away!!!LOL

Mike

beers is more accurate.
I just finished a tall Arrogant Bastard and am working on a 6 pack of Mt. Carmel Nut Brown....

Latest posts

Back