Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I probably shouldn't say anything, till I actually recieve it, and try getting it whipped into shape. But I can't help myself:dizzy: I finally WON a bid on Ebay for a 5200 Poulan!!! Kinda sad looking 5200, but 5200 nun the less.
Might turn out to be a pig in a poke....but it will be MY pig..:hmm3grin2orange:

:cheers:
Gregg,

OMG. was on my watch list (as are most old Poulans) That was the one with the primer grey clutch cover, right?Good for you, if I can help, let me know!!!!

I probably shouldn't say anything, till I actually recieve it, and try getting it whipped into shape. But I can't help myself:dizzy: I finally WON a bid on Ebay for a 5200 Poulan!!! Kinda sad looking 5200, but 5200 nun the less.
Might turn out to be a pig in a poke....but it will be MY pig..:hmm3grin2orange:

Gregg,

I'm mighty proud that one of us got it!!!
Looking forward to a full report soon.

Mike

OMG. was on my watch list (as are most old Poulans) That was the one with the primer grey clutch cover, right?Good for you, if I can help, let me know!!!!

Yep, Thats the one..LOL Beauty, ain't she.:)

Allready have a nice looking recoil cover and shroud comming..and probably countless other items to be sure.

Gregg,

I'm mighty proud that one of us got it!!!
Looking forward to a full report soon.

Mike

Thats why I hate bidding on ebay for Poulans...I know You guys watch these listings like a hawk. And will more than likely be bidding against friends.:cry:

Oh well, now I won't be bidding on that 4200...LOL

Gregg,

Yep, Thats the one..LOL Beauty, ain't she.:)

Allready have a nice looking recoil cover and shroud comming..and probably countless other items to be sure.

Gregg,

Beauty is only paint deep but POWER!
POWER goes to the BONE!!!LOL
I think I know a couple of guys with enough parts between them to make a runner out of it!

Mike

Mike

That is why he is one of the upper echelon "wheels" around here!:bowdown:

Yes, I thank you Nik for this thread!
What kind of beer are you drinking???
You know I'm only about an hour away!!!LOL

Mike

mike i feel like a low person on this site just left a remark on the mcculloch thread im facing home foreclosure they called today seems like me being $ -650.00 as of this morning in the bank how can i pay a mortgage bill with this situation yes its in the negative on the amount

Thats why I hate bidding on ebay for Poulans...I know You guys watch these listings like a hawk. And will more than likely be bidding against friends.:cry:

Oh well, now I won't be bidding on that 4200...LOL

Gregg,

feel the same way but at the end of the day, it's fair... None of us "NEED" another one, we just want one. (that being said, if I know one of us bid before me, it's hands off....unless it's 85cc of Real Poulan :clap::biggrinbounce2:"

One bit of advice I could use concerning the 5200, assuming it comes together and runs well, is a bar. I know you guys with these saws run the large Husqvarna bars on them, with some mods to the oil passages. Would love to see a PIC of the mods. Pictures help 100 times, what words can alone.:dizzy:
Was thinking of getting another one of those 30" Carlton bars, like I put on my 385xp. Seems it would be a good one for the 5200 also.

Gregg,

Not a bad looking saw. I see it has the 3700 style slotted air cleaner cover on it. And in case you havn't noticed, its appears to be missing a pretty important small part. The lower support/chain catcher peice on the lower right side. It bolts through the front anti-vibe bushings and handle bar.

That stuff can be found quite often at chainsawr.com or on ebay. Looks to be a replacement clutch cover, which is fine. The originals were magnesium.
I see its missing the hand gaurd also. I'm pretty sure those models all came with one. Two different styles. Apears some one did some parts swapping/replacing over time. You might check when you inspect the piston/cyl. whether it has 2 thick rings or 2 thin ones. I think all the 3400's had a chrome plated piston. (just to make sure what you have there) :clap:

Gregg,
Looked chromed through the port thought I saw a thickish ring, been a few hours memory failing

I think with the decal on the front cover it should have the handguard on the wrap handle. As Gregg said, you need the chain catcher at the bottom. An Allen wrench will remove what you have left.

Enjoy the saw!

like this? sort of important??
attachment.php

is this what a live one looks like??http://store.chainsawr.com/products/poulan-3400-3700-3800-chainsaw-handle-bracket-brace
attachment.php

Well you either got a 3700 with a 3400 starter cover on it,
Or a 3400 with a 3700 air filter cover! (most likely)

That should be a good saw it looks to have been taken care of, or have fairly low hours or both.
It should cut circles around a 295 if it has the compression and is tuned properly.
Congratulations,

Mike
sort of think it looks funky hope its a 3400 (as I'm basing my part number list on that premise) as compression goes, new rings never hurt if I can source them, find out tomorrow
Paul

One bit of advice I could use concerning the 5200, assuming it comes together and runs well, is a bar. I know you guys with these saws run the large Husqvarna bars on them, with some mods to the oil passages. Would love to see a PIC of the mods. Pictures help 100 times, what words can alone.:dizzy:
Was thinking of getting another one of those 30" Carlton bars, like I put on my 385xp. Seems it would be a good one for the 5200 also.

Gregg,

Greg, you don't have to do anything to the oil passages on the large Husky bar to fit it to the Poulan. All you have to do is use the spacers on the bar studs to fit the 9mm slot in it.

Be aware though that the Poulan may like 1 less drivelink of chain then the Husky with the same bar.

Where ever your getting that top cover from, send it back if you want as I have a NOS one here if you want it.

And yes you did outbid me, but I didnt hurt you any on it. I was in cheap and early. LOL

Oh and welcome to the big Poulan club! Hope it turns out to have a good P/C and crank as thats the main things. Rings can still be had as well as gaskets, brg, seal's etc.

Looked chromed through the port thought I saw a thickish ring, been a few hours memory failing

like this? sort of important??
attachment.php

is this what a live one looks like??http://store.chainsawr.com/products/poulan-3400-3700-3800-chainsaw-handle-bracket-brace
attachment.php

sort of think it looks funky hope its a 3400 (as I'm basing my part number list on that premise) as compression goes, new rings never hurt if I can source them, find out tomorrow
Paul

Yes!! thats the right one.:) The pic is at a fuuny angle.

Gregg,

You hate to say it because your wrong, that is indeed the right part. The angle of the picture threw you off.

Mark im just under alot of stress right now if you were in my shoes you would understand

Im doing away with tires and blades for mowers on my site cause when people order over 100.00 worth the shipping is on my hands and it gets kinda of pricey on the shipping on the bulky items so im closing them catalogs down as of tommorrow night people want free shipping they need to order 100.00 or more of obsolete parts

Last edited:
Greg, you don't have to do anything to the oil passages on the large Husky bar to fit it to the Poulan. All you have to do is use the spacers on the bar studs to fit the 9mm slot in it.

Be aware though that the Poulan may like 1 less drivelink of chain then the Husky with the same bar.

Where ever your getting that top cover from, send it back if you want as I have a NOS one here if you want it.

And yes you did outbid me, but I didnt hurt you any on it. I was in cheap and early. LOL

Oh and welcome to the big Poulan club! Hope it turns out to have a good P/C and crank as thats the main things. Rings can still be had as well as gaskets, brg, seal's etc.

Thanks Mark!!
Will see what the cover looks like when I get it. Hmmm, there was a NOS 5200 cover on ebay couple weeks ago. I put a small bid on it, but didn't get it.LOL
Hard to pass up NOS stuff like that, even though I didn't have a saw to put it on..:dizzy:
Good to know about the bars too. About the biggest bar ya find in the D176 mount is a 28". not cheap either.

Gregg,

Thanks Mark!!
Will see what the cover looks like when I get it. Hmmm, there was a NOS 5200 cover on ebay couple weeks ago. I put a small bid on it, but didn't get it.LOL
Hard to pass up NOS stuff like that, even though I didn't have a saw to put it on..:dizzy:
Good to know about the bars too. About the biggest bar ya find in the D176 mount is a 28". not cheap either.

Gregg,

Might have been the same one, I only got it because I bought quite a few other parts the seller had and he was combineing shipping.

That was probably why I threw the small bid on that saw, just because I had the cover for it. LOL

Glad you got it as I didnt need it for sure, I shouldnt say it but I got 2 more on the shelf in the project line now. I got a whole box of parts here already to do the one for sure.

I really need to get off my duff and get some pictures of the decals on my decent one sent to Joe to see if we can get him to do some decals for a 5200.

The one I want to go through just looks so bad I wanted to paint it when it gets tore apart. I know I would take a set, Bob probably would to and maybe you?

Yea long D176 bars are getting hard to find, but Baileys did have some 32's.

Probablem was they were Echo branded bars and that black paint and Echo label on them made them quite expensive.

No problem using the Husky bars though.

Thanks Mark!!

Gregg,

Gregg i just put some thing on ebay single item though just got to search the poulan parts area

http://cgi.ebay.com/Poulan-Air-Filter-Element-71A-54-/110573333778

Last edited:
Dayton Stud issue...

well, pulled the enlarged stud today...

found the OEM in the tank...lol

it looks like a BIIIGGG thread..

with a 3/8" dia on the stud...

what's everyone's suggestion. move the existing one up in size to use a larger (stihl maybe??? :confused: bar??)

I DID NOT measure the hole size...(i noticed it was larger after i was able to vise-grip it out...)

UGH....

HERE WE GO:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

thoughts???

Last edited:
I think you are....................................screwed!LOL

I believe I would look hard at having one made with a stepped shoulder, or installing a timesert.
Hard to say which would be cheaper. I guess it would depend a lot on what resources you have access to.
If you have, or know someone who has the timesert kit, that might be your best option.

How thick is the case there?

Mike

I think you are....................................screwed!LOL

How thick is the case there?

Mike

uuuuughh...

MIKE! you'z always rainin on my parade! lol

it's fairly thick...1/2" or so..

not a big deal. Put it in a drill press and file it down to the proper diameter where it extends out of the case. Run a die over it and thread it with the correct thread. Put it back in and locktite the crap out of it...be happy!:cheers:

good idea! didn't think of that!

i think i'll hit it for a min with the angle grinder to save my file. Then chuck it, and go to town...

with that said, how do I protect the threads there??...

I think it had locktite on it previously...was a B*#CH to get out...

Someone did a real fine job on that bar stud didnt they?

Here is my take on the fix for it. If the nitwits didnt already have the hole drilled bigger then 3/8's you could just replace them both with 3/8's bolts/studs then drill out the bar clamp and use the Homelite style bars.

Where your at now is down to having new stepped studs machined sinice it appears the hole in the tank is now at least 7/16". The problem then is to secure them in the tank where they will not spin. Here is a picture of the studs in the tank with there square heads so they wont spin.
attachment.php

If it were me, I would just replace the oil tank and be done with it. Once you get the clutch off theres only 3 bolts that hold the whole thing on. The two that hold the oiler cover in place and one under the fan housing near the flywheel.

Latest posts

Back