Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are a funny guy Stephen. So at what point, do you get to be an old guy? I don't think the calender has anything to do with it.
I can see why you might try to divert my interest in Screaming Green. As a carrier of yellow fever and an enabler for those who really do need a bigger saw, say 6 cubes or better, I promote the restore to function and use of vintage chainsaws. I figure I won't be putting a huge dent in the population, only want two more, bet you haven't heard that before. Seriously, sometimes I just want to saw something without having to voodoo start something.

Poulan 245a(306) Fuel Cap

Trying to find two duckbill valves but they seem to be NLA. What have you guys done to replicate, or use w/o them. They certainly are smaller then the normal Duckbill valve.
Bob

Now for a secret, when Mopar Mike gets here, everyone ask him what new saw he's getting!

Well guys,

Now that the deal is sealed and the deed is done so there's no way it can get jinxed, I'll tell the tale.

Monday when I got in from work, I had an email from the Poulan Guru himself with a link to an Indianapolis Craigslist ad for a Craftsman Pro with a 30" bar.
Indy is a pretty good haul but well worth it for a decent Poulan.
The ad said it was in "fair shape" and "started on the first pull everytime".
I called the guy and he said he still had the saw and it was still for sale.
He said that he had traded some mechanic work for it to trim around his house, but that it was just too big.
He started to describe it and it became obvious that it was a 5.2 Craftsman or a 4.2 with a 5.2 recoil on it.
Either way it was well worth the asking price of $150.00 if the P/C were good. I figured a 30" replaceable tip bar had to be worth $40.-$50. alone.
I asked him if he could e-mail me some pics because "fair shape" covers a LOT of territory.
He said that he could and that if I really wanted the saw he would take $100.00 for it.
I told him nevermind about the pics, "I'll take it"!!!
Yesterday was one of the longest days I've ever seen!
Everybody I told at work kept telling me that he would sell it out from under me and they had me ready to take off in the middle of the day to go get it.

When I finally arrived at the guys house, he came carrying it out of the garage and I couldn't believe my eyes!
The saw was amazing! It's not mint, by any stretch, but it is in VASTLY better condition than I could ever have imagined!
He pulled the rope 4 times and it roared to life!
He shut it off and handed it to me and when I fired it and opened it up and it hit the governor, (telling me that it was definately a 5200 because the 4200s aren't governed) I was ready to dance a jig.

Once again Mark, I owe you one for birddogging this one for me!
Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you all are going to be asking, but no pics yet.
I'll post a few tomorrow after work.

I must also thank and recognize the seller for his integrity!
Someone called him after I told him that I would take the saw and we agreed on the price, and offered him the original $150.00 if he would sell it out from under me and he refused!!! Good man!
It does the spinning chain at idle as so many of these do, and the oil filler cap is broken.
I expect to have to do the "general things" to it, but I'm tickled pink right now!

Mike

see if this works

this is a copyedpic of the same model saw i just got running wellone of them its a poulan that was made for sears right? 46cc and 2.8 its beat mine is but man its got alotta comresion to just pull start ya all know anything about these how old it may be etc seemslike a strong lil saw some one was throwing out well had to give about 10 bucks cleaned carb new filternew line and boom it runs perfect hahah!

Well guys,

Now that the deal is sealed and the deed is done so there's no way it can get jinxed, I'll tell the tale.

Monday when I got in from work, I had an email from the Poulan Guru himself with a link to an Indianapolis Craigslist ad for a Craftsman Pro with a 30" bar.
He said that he had traded some mechanic work for it to trim around his house, but that it was just too big.
He started to describe it and it became obvious that it was a 5.2 Craftsman or a 4.2 with a 5.2 recoil on it.
Either way it was well worth the asking price of $150.00 if the P/C were good. I figured a 30" replaceable tip bar had to be worth $40.-$50. alone.
I asked him if he could e-mail me some pics because "fair shape" covers a LOT of territory.
He said that he could and that if I really wanted the saw he would take $100.00 for it.
Everybody I told at work kept telling me that he would sell it out from under me and they had me ready to take off in the middle of the day to go get it.

When I finally arrived at the guys house, he came carrying it out of the garage and I couldn't believe my eyes!
The saw was amazing! It's not mint, by any stretch, but it is in VASTLY better condition than I could ever have imagined!
He shut it off and handed it to me and when I fired it and opened it up and it hit the governor, (telling me that it was definately a 5200 because the 4200s aren't governed) I was ready to dance a jig.

Someone called him after I told him that I would take the saw and we agreed on the price, and offered him the original $150.00 if he would sell it out from under me and he refused!!! Good man!
It does the spinning chain at idle as so many of these do, and the oil filler cap is broken.
I expect to have to do the "general things" to it, but I'm tickled pink right now!

Mike

Congrats Mike. Great pick up.
Bob

Well guys,

Mike

No pics....I don't believe it.. Great find.

Well guys,

Mike

Way to go Mike! :clap: Yes, We are definitely eagerly awaiting PICS.:)
That old Poulan Guru from Northern Indiana is OK in my book too! :D
I can see we are gonna have to have a gathering of the 5.2's sometime soon.LOL It puts a smile on my face every time I use mine. Just wish mine was a little nicer lookin.
:cheers:
Gregg,

this is a copyedpic of the same model saw i just got running wellone of them its a poulan that was made for sears right? 46cc and 2.8 its beat mine is but man its got alotta comresion to just pull start ya all know anything about these how old it may be etc seemslike a strong lil saw some one was throwing out well had to give about 10 bucks cleaned carb new filternew line and boom it runs perfect hahah!

Yes. Here is a IPL for your 2800. http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/NIUS/NIUS2000/NIUS2000_530066768.pdf

looks close

the air filter cover cowl seems a lil different.... also i could not find a vent line /breatherline it does seem to have one in the fuel cap... this drawing shows that line 92 with the lil breather screw i could not find one it seems to run fine starts up a lil hard but maybe it just needs to be run a lil i have a thought it sat along time!!! so the latest date on this drawing was 97is that maybe how old it is is there any place to look for a date on the saw? thanks for the parts list also!

Poulan 245A Carb Adjustment

Hello All,
I just purchased a 245A for $12 from craigslist. The guy didn't know what he had! I have run one of these saws when I was a teenager; my dad had one. That old one is long gone, but I have the new (to me) 245A that I plan to take real good care of and have last for another 30 years.

The saw hadn't been run for a few years when I got it, so I took the side covers off and cleaned out all the dust/oil that was caked in everywhere. Then I took off the carb cover, cleaned the air filter, opened the tank, replaced all the fuel line, used carb cleaner to clean the lacquer off of everything, and replaced the plug.

About 15 pulls later with the choke and throttle lock on she sputtered a little. Choke off, throttle lock on, another 4 or 5 pulls and she roared to life. :greenchainsaw: I let the saw warm up a bit and cut a few small things before putting it away for the night.

The next day, I went to start it and it started no problem, but it would stall if I hit the throttle. I tried to let it idle for a few minutes, but had no success. It will start, but it won't run.

Then I had the genius idea to adjust the carb. I found an article that said to start with both the L & H screws one full turn out. Same thing, it will start, but not run. It bogs and stall when I apply throttle. The idle seemed incredibly high at one turn out so I adjusted to two full turns out; a bit better but no success.

I checked the muffler; it's clear. It has a new plug, new fuel line, and was cleaned.

What advice do you have for me to get it to run smoothly and/or can anyone tell me their experience with adjusting the L & H fuel jets? What is a good starting point?

Should I take the carb completely off and apart to clean it?

Thanks in advance.

Start it up again, turn the L needle out from where it's at another 1/8 turn.
If it's idling too high, turn the idle speed screw out til it idles.
If it still bogs when you blip the throttle, keep turning the L needle out a bit til it accelerates w/o bogging down.
that's a start.
otherwise, take carb apart, clean and rekit.
hth

I would take the carb off, clean it, and also check the diaphragms in the carb. They should be soft, not hard and brittle. A good place to start on these saws is 1 1/4 turns out on both needles.

Whatca guys think of this.....

picture.php

picture.php

The good: Arm rippin compression. Fires on prime. Very little paint wear, came with a nice 24" .404 setup. :)

The bad: Missing top covers, rear handle is broken, air filter mount is broken and a chip from the bottom of the clutch cover. :(

Anyways, I figured you Poulan heads would want a looksie. If anybody has any parts, let me know. Its the same as the Dolmar 144. I gotsta run this baby!!!

I would take the carb off, clean it, and also check the diaphragms in the carb. They should be soft, not hard and brittle. A good place to start on these saws is 1 1/4 turns out on both needles.

If it's been sitting for a long time like you suggested, I'd definitely take the carb apart, clean it and put a kit in it. Easy to do and makes the saw run a lot better.

Back