Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well if we don't know what it is how are we supposed to find out...it looks a lot like this to somebody who hasn't ever seen one...

attachment.php

That theres a Poulan, through and through! :givebeer:

Mark
Now that I am back to work I have access to some great Adobe stuff...I will get the 4200/5200 owners manual copied in the next week and get it to you guys....

yes that is a nice looking Poulan...:rock:

That would be great!

I got to get a new scanner myself as my new computer has Windows 7 64 bit and my 15 yo scanner wont work with it. In an emergency I could put the old scanner in my shop on the XP machine in there.

You know I was just ribbin on the Roper stuff right? :ices_rofl:

I watched your saw Bob, a looker for sure! At least your being honest. Sounds like a seal on the flywheel or pto side. Its not that big of a job too which is good. What are you gonna do with it now? I'm sure once you fix it it will sell high again, if you decide to do that.

Joe, I honestly feel it went way too high. I offered the buyer the opportunity to take my other 4000 and I'd give him back $100.00. I just replaced the PTO side seal and did a vacuum pressure test. Maybe I may have to relook at it. If guy takes me up on my offer I may hang on to it. Ordered new seals but they are on 2 week backorder. Getting harder to find.
Bob

Micro Oiler

Your low output Micro oiler probably has too much clearance between the oil tank vent wire and the hole in the oil tank. It should have just enough clearance to move freely in hole. If clearance appears large, you can peen the side of hole to reduce area opening. This oiler works off crankcase pressure, so if the vent is too large, the tank can not build up enough pressure to push oil out.
If this is not the case, send me a PM and I will send you the procedure how to evaluate and test your oiler.

Your low output Micro oiler probably has too much clearance between the oil tank vent wire and the hole in the oil tank. It should have just enough clearance to move freely in hole. If clearance appears large, you can peen the side of hole to reduce area opening. This oiler works off crankcase pressure, so if the vent is too large, the tank can not build up enough pressure to push oil out.
If this is not the case, send me a PM and I will send you the procedure how to evaluate and test your oiler.

I guess thats possible, but I have never seen that before. I have a hard time seeing how that hole could become enlarged by itself.

My experiance is either a bad crankcase check valve or the checkvalve in the pump itself or dirt in the system somewhere.

Glad to see you found this place and are posting here my friend!

I guess thats possible, but I have never seen that before. I have a hard time seeing how that hole could become enlarged by itself.

My experiance is either a bad crankcase check valve or the checkvalve in the pump itself or dirt in the system somewhere.

Glad to see you found this place and are posting here my friend!

If you can find some way to post that procedure here in a new thread, that would be awsome as this topic comes up alot here. Some people just have a hard time understanding this simple oiler setup.

my wild thang 2175 finnally toasted a piston. cylinder look to clean up ,but the piston /ring is done. anybody used an aftermarket piston on one?

its been going for a while ,i think i leaned it out with a bad fuel line a couple years ago and its just been loosing compression,was down to 60psi before i pulled it. this is my shooting lane/ dirty wood saw. its served me well so i figure its earned a new piston.

Spent a little bit of time on the 5200 bow saw this afternoon.

Poulan5200bowsaw003.jpg

The fuel tank reeked of varnish. I dumped the old fuel and put in some new mix and sloshed it around. Cut it enough after sitting for 6 days to make a nice sludgy mess. This is the fuel line and filter that I dug out of it.

Poulan245bar005.jpg

I need to flush the sludge out before I install the new line and filter.

Idiot! Idiot! Idiot!

Well do I feel foolish! My 4000 that wouldn't idle when put on its side, idles fine now. Before starting the saw yesterday I filled the tank and guess what, it idled fine. For yucks I pulled fuel line, the one I just put a new filter on, and lo and behold it was 1.5 inches too short. Instead of 9.5 in. it was 8 in. Guess the filter wasn't sitting on the floor of the tank so when half full it was sticking out of the mix when you tilted the saw with thefuel cap facing the sky. Don't know how I originally incorrectly measured the first line. Anyway it is now fixed. Goes to show you that you should look for the simple fix first. Not me though, I had the saws apart at least 6 times.
Bob

Well do I feel foolish! My 4000 that wouldn't idle when put on its side, idles fine now. Before starting the saw yesterday I filled the tank and guess what, it idled fine. For yucks I pulled fuel line, the one I just put a new filter on, and lo and behold it was 1.5 inches too short. Instead of 9.5 in. it was 8 in. Guess the filter wasn't sitting on the floor of the tank so when half full it was sticking out of the mix when you tilted the saw with thefuel cap facing the sky. Don't know how I originally incorrectly measured the first line. Anyway it is now fixed. Goes to show you that you should look for the simple fix first. Not me though, I had the saws apart at least 6 times.
Bob

That's good news Bob! Don't feel bad. I'm sure almost everyone here has a similar story. I had just rebuilt a 3400. It ran great one day and like hell the next. I took the carb off, checked my gaskets played with the HL screws. Nothing. You know what it was?
No fuel!!!
That's the problem when you know a lot about these saws. 1 symptom like running lean could mean a carb ajustment, leaking line or gasket. Or the simplest thing that even my blonde girlfriend could figure out! No mix.
So don't feel bad Bob. You keeping it or back to the auction block?

That's good news Bob! Don't feel bad. I'm sure almost everyone here has a similar story. I had just rebuilt a 3400. It ran great one day and like hell the next. I took the carb off, checked my gaskets played with the HL screws. Nothing. You know what it was?
No fuel!!!
That's the problem when you know a lot about these saws. 1 symptom like running lean could mean a carb ajustment, leaking line or gasket. Or the simplest thing that even my blonde girlfriend could figure out! No mix.
So don't feel bad Bob. You keeping it or back to the auction block?

Yea, I 've never been one to start easy and go harder. Guess I look for the hardest thing to fix first. You'de think I'd learn by now. I lucked out as buyer was real understanding and wanted saw I had on Ebay so I'll mail it today. Personally I would have taken my offer for the other saw. Said he has a 3400 and 3700 and just wanted this 4000. Just checked comp. and it hit 150 after 5 pulls. Not too bad from a 130 start with new rings.
Bob

For yucks I pulled fuel line, the one I just put a new filter on, and lo and behold it was 1.5 inches too short. Instead of 9.5 in. it was 8 in. Guess the filter wasn't sitting on the floor of the tank so when half full it was sticking out of the mix when you tilted the saw with thefuel cap facing the sky.
Bob

Sounds like you got a dud there, Bob. A 4000 ought to pull mix across an air gap. :hmm3grin2orange: No worries though. I'll give you 25 bucks for it and pay the shipping. Send it to me. :)

Fuel tank cleaning

What or how do you guys get the varnish out of your fuel tanks. My 4200 project saw needs a good tank cleaning. Right now I've filled it with straight gas and am hoping that after a while it will soften it up. Then what happens? I guess I can use a long screwdriver or something to scrape the sides that I can reach. Any other ideas?
Bob

bob- i squirt some carb cleaner in the tank, enough to make a small pool, swish it all around to wet all surfaces, then let it sit overnight or a few days, whatever it takes. let the fumes do the work, roll it around a few times. may have to go in with a big bottle brush to get it all off. worked on my model 91 which was nasty.HTH

got my saws from ebay LOL

well my saws came in ups today LMAO can you say someone elses headache now mine LOL!!! two of them have scored pistons i think i can make two that run out of them all i shoulda read closer and should of asked more questions!!!!! i did ask if they had spark and compresion they do! sorta kinda i shoulda said do they have good compression LOL they are all missng stuff etc i can deal with that but man oh man they are the dirtyest little saws ive ever seen !!!!!i dont think i would ever sell somthing so dirty all in all it was a good lesson if i ever buy from ebay again i will strive to take the time and be very specific.....and ask if they will be shipped with a few pounds of sawdust LOL!

Last edited:
on an up beat!

oh yea i did buy a very nice very clean green and black poulan 2000 today from a shop i get my carb line from! saw has new airfilter and new fuel line and the guy said he went through the carb.... it looks like it saw very lil use....im real happy with this purchase will get pics tommorow!

I ordered new check valves, and I'm gonna take all the pumps out and clean them real good. The little pin vent doesn't seem too bad.

Latest posts

Back