Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, whatever doesn't put too much hook on it. Thats bad, I know that for a fact on this little chain. Get away with a little more on the grown up 3/8s. 34 is .325, right?

I'd sharpen at 30 degrees across the top, set the angle at 60 degrees, and keep the disc in the middle, no offset, Brian. See how its looks. Is the chain rocked, or are you touching up, if just touching up, should notice right away if you are changing a bunch. I never called 91 anything from Oregon anything but semi chisel, so I've learned something today. I get out of school early on Friday now, right? It maybe that the devil beaver wore the edge from the chamfer chisel off just from the shear power off the machine, too-consider that?

Jeff, you nailed all that to a tee!

I agree with all you said, I sharpen all 3/8's low pro pretty much the same.

Thanks Mark

I knew you would know, I intend to stop by my old time friend, a Jonsered
dealer next week, he has probably fixed 1000's of Poulans, but is sometimes
not there, his wife is the parts manager, knows how to take money, but
might know which fuel line fits.

Well, I'm obviously not THE expert, but the answer is still the same.
The 4000 P/C is a direct swap, but be very careful with removing and reinstalling the piston on the con rod.
Many of those pistons have been trashed attempting this swap!

Mike

Yes John, its a direct swap. But like Mike said, changing the piston is the only tricky part about it. If you can get hold of the special poulan tool for this purpose, it pretty easy. Unfortunately I sent mine to Nik (Fatguy) to make a new bushing for it. I think he must have forgot about it..LOL That was early this spring. I know Mark has made one. I made one also, and made it work, but wasn't great, so pitched that.
:cheers:
Gregg,

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

a little press for pushing the wrist pin in & out of the rod on these poulans. the key is the coupling nuts for the 10-24 allthread rod. regular 10-24 nuts stripped out on me. it wouldn't hurt to warm the rod up. they are tight.
the wing nut has been replaced by another coupling nut.

Last edited:
attachment.php

while i'm at it i need a cap like this for my 2.3 craftsman. this one is real tight, took a wrench to get it out. the caps from my other two saws fit in the saw this came out of. guess it swelled or is out of round. tried filing and scaping on it but to no avail. think it is 1"-12 fine thread, will try and find a die but this is some slipppery stuff to work with.
fund$ available to solve this problem. thanks

Mabe you guys can help me, I got a lot of micros and the problem I'm having is some oil great some don't. One in particular, I did a full rebuild on, new ring, resurface the cylinder, all new gaskets, and crank seals, cleaned the oil pump and replaced the line, rebuilt the carb, and a new reed valve, problem is it oils but not great, barely enough to dampen the chain, I compare it to another micro I have thats mint and it oils like a mad man, you get a spray from the bar on that saw, so I'm wondering what it's supposed to be???????? The only thing I didn't replace on that saw would be the check valve, also every saw that has that weird whistle when pulling the cord with the throttle fully open dosn't seem to oil well??

Sounds like the check valve, but other gurus can weigh in after they get off work. Could swap out a valve and see, sounds like a lot of work though, I'd wait for Mark or Mike or someone whos had one apart.

cranked the 4200 today

There was no problem with the oiler, it slung oil over the tailgate.
I have a task for it later, if it can't handle it, maybe the 5400 can.
These old saws seem to have gained a lot of weight over the years, but it
is probably the operator getting older, not the saws.

I must have hit the Poulan gold mine this week, so far:
Poulan 2800 runs
Poulan Pro 295 runs hole in oil tank under muffler
Poulan 5200 Stuck rings- runs now!:rockn:
Jim

The 5200 running is enough to make a guys week. They are some very good strong saws.:chainsawguy:

If you got a 5200 for $0 and have it running now cause of stuck rings, you did awful well for the month, maybe even half a year.

I must have hit the Poulan gold mine this week, so far:
Poulan 2800 runs
Poulan Pro 295 runs hole in oil tank under muffler
Poulan 5200 Stuck rings- runs now!:rockn:
Jim

Jim, thats a nice haul you got there, a 5200 huh? :rockn:

Getting on the Poulan bandwagon, good for you.

Those 295's are not bad with a muffler mod and a 16" bar, actually light and kinda zippy. Sounds like the muffler came loose, can you patch the oil tank?

Oh, and since you posted no pictures we really can't believe that this happened can we? LOL

I never ran a 2800 so let me know how you like it. Its kinda big for only 46cc so curious about them. I have a 3300 which is on the same chassis but then its 54cc.

Aldens/361 up and running.

Got sent home only after a hour of work today because of the bad weather.

I don't know why they wouldn't run the cranes with the wind only being 50+ mph. ;)

So I had the sun shining in the shop and went to work on this Aldens 361 that I have been wanting to get to.

This things in pretty nice shape and still has the original sprocket and fuel lines on it.

Of course the fuel lines were shot as well as the fuel cap duckbill valve, so they got replaced after cleaning up the saw some. The fuel line in the tank is a pita to replace on these as I had to remove the whole rear handle to get just enough room to get to the fitting that screws into the tank from the outside.

I think it would have ran on the old carb diaphragms but I replaced them anyway since I had it apart. Cleaned the points and you can now spin the flywheel by hand and get spark out of it.

The oiler works great without any work at all to it.

After fueling it up it started in 5 pulls. Had the H and L needles set at 1 1/4 out and only had to turn the L in about 1/8 a turn and reset the idle speed screw for it to be pretty much right there. I left the governor on this carb alone since it seemed such a low hour saw and it works just like its supposed to. Made about a dozen test cuts and it ran perfect.

So all in all I'm pretty happy to put this one in the collection.

I still have found no other documentation on these Aldens saws and don't know if there were any other models besides this 361 and the 25D.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Got sent home only after a hour of work today because of the bad weather.

I don't know why they wouldn't run the cranes with the wind only being 50+ mph. ;)

So I had the sun shining in the shop and went to work on this Aldens 361 that I have been wanting to get to.

This things in pretty nice shape and still has the original sprocket and fuel lines on it.

Of course the fuel lines were shot as well as the fuel cap duckbill valve, so they got replaced after cleaning up the saw some. The fuel line in the tank is a pita to replace on these as I had to remove the whole rear handle to get just enough room to get to the fitting that screws into the tank from the outside.

I think it would have ran on the old carb diaphragms but I replaced them anyway since I had it apart. Cleaned the points and you can now spin the flywheel by hand and get spark out of it.

The oiler works great without any work at all to it.

After fueling it up it started in 5 pulls. Had the H and L needles set at 1 1/4 out and only had to turn the L in about 1/8 a turn and reset the idle speed screw for it to be pretty much right there. I left the governor on this carb alone since it seemed such a low hour saw and it works just like its supposed to. Made about a dozen test cuts and it ran perfect.

So all in all I'm pretty happy to put this one in the collection.

I still have found no other documentation on these Aldens saws and don't know if there were any other models besides this 361 and the 25D.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice work Mark. Is that saw 58ccs?

Latest posts

Back