Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the best built of the smaller saws is, hands down, the S25CVA. Most of mine are DA's and they do have a bit of vibration. I do have the PP S25 AV but I don't have a S25CVA tom compare it to. I personally like the 2300's. They feel more balanced to me but they also have some plastic parts which are vulnerable to breakage. They have a single compression ring and seem to have less power. The front right hand side of the case is vulnerable to cracking near the bar mount and leaking bar oil out through the crack. S25's are built like a tank, 2000/2300's not so much so. 2300's are still pretty tough for an occasional use saw, very light and I personally think even easier to work on than S25's. BTW, I didn't mention the Micro saws here, sort of chronologically between the other two. IMO the 2000/2300's are really just an extension of the Micro's. I think the confusion for some with the Micro's and S25 series is that Poulan used the XXV designation on both, probably for that very reason - so they could build a cheaper small saw and people wouldn't realize what they were getting. No basis for fact there, just my cynical opinion based on the way companies tend to do business.

Just the info I was looking for. Now to try to find one! Thanks
Bob

As far as the small poulans go I have the S25DA, Dayton S25CVA, and the poulan micro. I like both the S25 in either version. The Micro and 2300, I am not as big a fan of, I had a craftsman 2300 that litterally rattled itself loose. more plastic, clamshell design, overall cheaper feel. And personally I never liked the "feel" of the saw using it. I think thats individual to anyone. I also dont really like running homelite SXLs, now this means nothing since both of those saws were extremely popular. The S25s are great saws, real work horses and plenty of power.

As far as the small poulans go I have the S25DA, Dayton S25CVA, and the poulan micro. I like both the S25 in either version. The Micro and 2300, I am not as big a fan of, I had a craftsman 2300 that litterally rattled itself loose. more plastic, clamshell design, overall cheaper feel. And personally I never liked the "feel" of the saw using it. I think thats individual to anyone. I also dont really like running homelite SXLs, now this means nothing since both of those saws were extremely popular. The S25s are great saws, real work horses and plenty of power.

Thanks. Bidding on a Craftsman clone to the S25DA. Maybe I'll get lucky

A Little Orange "Poulan"

While we're on the subject of little saws, thought this might be a good time to post these. This is a rebadged version of the 2300 without the CounterVibe.

67Mustang

It does have a chain brake, however. It also has a chrome plated cylinder with two compression rings on piston.

67Mustang

67Mustang

67Mustang

Poulan Super 25DA

Well got my S25da and checked it out. 145 comp and starts okay. I might add that I'm unaccustomed to the procedure as there is no throttle lock. Saw keeps turning in my right hand as I pull with the left. Have a question regarding the carb . Pulled off carb cover and started saw. At full throttle there is a steady mist of fuel exiting carb. Never noticed this on my other Poulans which leads me to believe the metering lever is set too high. Would like your thought before I pull carb and tear it apart. Thanks
Bob
PS will send pictures once I find my cable

My S25DA does the same thing with fuel spitting out the carb. The guys on this thread have diagnosed it as an air leak because it revs up like crazy without engaging the throttle at all. I need to find a complete gasket set so I can rip mine all the way apart to go further. Maybe yours has an air leak too???

My S25DA does the same thing with fuel spitting out the carb. The guys on this thread have diagnosed it as an air leak because it revs up like crazy without engaging the throttle at all. I need to find a complete gasket set so I can rip mine all the way apart to go further. Maybe yours has an air leak too???

Well mine runs fine, though I've gotta check the plug to see how it looks. Would seem to me it should be wet. Think I'm gonna pull it and check it out. Prior rebuild might have missed something. Also going to do a pressure check.

Well pulled and checked carb. All looks okay. Reinstalled and ran saw. Still spewing fuel out top of carb. If you hold saw at wot fuel sprays on your hand. I can see mix coming out just below choke opening. Very strange. Can't believe that putting carb cover on will correct situation; just hide it. Otherwise saw runs great and seems to have unbelievable power and torque for a 38cc saw running a 16 in bar. Seems to have more grunt than my 011av.
Bob

Well pulled and checked carb. All looks okay. Reinstalled and ran saw. Still spewing fuel out top of carb. If you hold saw at wot fuel sprays on your hand. I can see mix coming out just below choke opening. Very strange. Can't believe that putting carb cover on will correct situation; just hide it. Otherwise saw runs great and seems to have unbelievable power and torque for a 38cc saw running a 16 in bar. Seems to have more grunt than my 011av.
Bob

The guys on the pioneer thread said spitting fuel out the carb is a sign of a bad piston skirt :dizzy:

The guys on the pioneer thread said spitting fuel out the carb is a sign of a bad piston skirt :dizzy:

Well if that's the case I have about a dozen small Poulan/Craftsman saws with bad piston skirts. All of my small saws do that even after a carb rebuild. Personally feel like it's because the saw needs to be run under load at WOT and when you're cutting it won't do that. Needs to have that carb cover on to run properly also. You may need to readjust the carb to compensate for the cover being off. Especially on my 2000/2300 and Micro's but also on the S25DA's throttle has to be adjusted a bit higher so that when the cover is reinstalled it will idle properly when it's having to suck all of the air through the sponge filter.

Last edited:
I Went To A Walbro Class Years Ago. The Walbro Rep Was Talking About
Carburetor Applications. As An Example Of Different Carb Designs, He Said
That The Small Poulan Saws Have A Lot Of Spitback Because Poulan Chose To Use An Existing Carb Off The Shelf, Rather Than Have Walbro
Design A Carb For Their Saws. I Think He Said That The Spitback Was
Due To The Design Of The Venturi. I Remembered This Because We Sold
Poulan Saws And All The Small Ones Had Blow Back Thru The Carb.
Bo

I Went To A Walbro Class Years Ago. The Walbro Rep Was Talking About
Carburetor Applications. As An Example Of Different Carb Designs, He Said
That The Small Poulan Saws Have A Lot Of Spitback Because Poulan Chose To Use An Existing Carb Off The Shelf, Rather Than Have Walbro
Design A Carb For Their Saws. I Think He Said That The Spitback Was
Due To The Design Of The Venturi. I Remembered This Because We Sold
Poulan Saws And All The Small Ones Had Blow Back Thru The Carb.
Bo

Bo

Thanks for that info - it is great finding out about the little details.

:cheers:

Back