Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if that's the case I have about a dozen small Poulan/Craftsman saws with bad piston skirts. All of my small saws do that even after a carb rebuild. Personally feel like it's because the saw needs to be run under load at WOT and when you're cutting it won't do that. Needs to have that carb cover on to run properly also. You may need to readjust the carb to compensate for the cover being off. Especially on my 2000/2300 and Micro's but also on the S25DA's throttle has to be adjusted a bit higher so that when the cover is reinstalled it will idle properly when it's having to suck all of the air through the sponge filter.

On The Small 1800-2300 Saws, A Poulan Guy Told Us To Take An Old
Carb Cover & Drill a Couple Of Small Holes To Stick A Screwdriver Thru To
The Adjustment Needles. After Adjusting The Carb, Replace This Cover With
The Good One.

The Good One.

Good idea! Might even find a small rubber plug so you could do a mod and have permanent access.

The Good One.

Greta idea. Adjusting carb on my new S25DA is a pain as you have to remove carb cover. Again I can't get over how much grunt the saw has. Thanks everyone for the tips and thoughts

Well pulled and checked carb. All looks okay. Reinstalled and ran saw. Still spewing fuel out top of carb. If you hold saw at wot fuel sprays on your hand. I can see mix coming out just below choke opening. Very strange. Can't believe that putting carb cover on will correct situation; just hide it. Otherwise saw runs great and seems to have unbelievable power and torque for a 38cc saw running a 16 in bar. Seems to have more grunt than my 011av.
Bob

Mine does the same thing, quite a bit of fuel spray from the top of the carb...but it runs great.

Mine will "bog" for just a second if you stab the throttle from idle to WOT, but if you smoothly give it throttle it kicks in... and revs right up there.

They are amazingly powerful saws for their size.

Finished Dayton(aka Poulan 3400)

Completed teardown and assembvly of my recent purchase. Replaced cylinder, crank seals, carb rebuild and a simple muffler mod.. Need a bar and chain but saw starts well. Comp at an acceptable 125 using existing rings. Painted saw using Valspar Allis Chalmers Orange. Pretty good match to original color as seen by unpainted cylinder cover.

Great job! Bob, I'm ammazed at how nice shape the decals are. Paint looks like a perfect match too! I wish the Valspar paint had a close match to the Poulan green. I been gettin carried away with painting them up in non-correct colors..lol:jester:

Gregg,

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/1344298857.html

Does anyone know about this one. I have the Poulan 2800 model in Craftsman grey. I remember the Sears best saw that came out a few years later. This one is the same color scheme as my 2.8 Turbo witch I think is a 295 Poulan. My 2.8 has Ansi conformity date stickers that say 1991.

My question is did Poulan sell the 3000 or 3300 in Craftsman colors. I'm gonna be riding up this guys way this weekend and may stop in to take a look at this one. The price is a little steep but we'll see.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/1344298857.html

Does anyone know about this one. I have the Poulan 2800 model in Craftsman grey. I remember the Sears best saw that came out a few years later. This one is the same color scheme as my 2.8 Turbo witch I think is a 295 Poulan. My 2.8 has Ansi conformity date stickers that say 1991.

My question is did Poulan sell the 3000 or 3300 in Craftsman colors. I'm gonna be riding up this guys way this weekend and may stop in to take a look at this one. The price is a little steep but we'll see.

Maybe Modifiedmark has some info. Saw certainly looks like a 2700, 2800,3000 or PP305 . If you knew the Craftsman Model # you could do a parts search to see which Poulan saw its parts match.
Bob

Great job! Bob, I'm ammazed at how nice shape the decals are. Paint looks like a perfect match too! I wish the Valspar paint had a close match to the Poulan green. I been gettin carried away with painting them up in non-correct colors..lol:jester:

Gregg,

Gregg, that's the main reason I bought it, for the decals. I was able to get a friend who paints cars, to make up Poulan green in a rattle can. Good match but awful thin. Needs alot of coats. Haven't asked him again as its expensive.

Man oh man, 52 pages of poulan chat! 2 years ago this thread would have been laughed off the board. It's nice to see folks rallying for the underdog!!
Poulan made some really great saws not that long ago. I absolutely love my 3000, and have a line on a 3400 that is mint! I'll keep ya posted.
CSW

Back