Oak Firewood - Echo 620P or 590?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a Gypsie moth epidemic happen a few years ago? That seems to have killed a bunch of my oak trees, they don't seem to fall over though. I doubt your oak dead trees laying sideways are dry. The 590 vs 620 Echo has been discussed at length on here not sure how easy it is to do search. The dry stuff is likely more toward the top and may not even need 60cc. There are aftermarket rim drive clutch drums now which is one of the reasons to pick the 620. If the intent is to cut the blow downs to 2000 pound chunks to move with machinery some of the comments here are more likely about bucking and noodling to something that can be manually handled.
Gypsy moths came though northern lower MI in the late 1980's. Many of those trees are still standing dead.

I wanted to call them Gypsy but spell correct did not like it. (still doesn't) There was another episode in New England, around here anyways, a few years ago. I think the first episode was in the early 70's it would rain little poop pellets. Being in a fence line likely will have more crown and more wind than in with other trees.

To the original poster.... Will it restart reliably at idle without setting the choke and then undoing the choke or set a fast idle. I asked once before but don't think I got an answer.

They still killing trees. I'm from Michigan..not many moths this year but probably double next year.
If you drive up 75 just before the Grayling exit you can see alot of standing dead gypsy moth killed trees.
I remember driving through the same area when they were bad and literally the trees were stripped of leaves as far as you could see.

If you drive up 75 just before the Grayling exit you can see alot of standing dead gypsy moth killed trees.
I remember driving through the same area when they were bad and literally the trees were stripped of leaves as far as you could see.
It was super bad I think 2020 or 2021 that at night it sounded like it was raining pretty good but it was all the gypsy moth 💩. I stay in the ogemaw co area. I seen oaks and popples loose all there leaves in a matter of a week or so. I think iirc if they hit the same tree hard 3 years in a row than the tree usually dies because it runs out of stored energy to regenerate new growth

I didn't make the video, a lot of the persons small children and pets around plus it's a yard tree and well my chain was a magnet 😕 I have some bigger stuff to go back and get. I will make video then as the oak is 24"+ or so. I got a flag pole bracket that was on the underside. Chain kept cutting good enough to load up 2 5x8 trailers IMG_20240907_173742084_HDR.jpgIMG_20240907_173738314_HDR.jpgIMG_20240907_165416633.jpgIMG_20240907_162944281_HDR.jpgIMG_20240907_162939207_HDR.jpgIMG_20240907_173402965_HDR.jpgIMG_20240907_173353181_HDR.jpgIMG_20240907_173407217_HDR.jpgIMG_20240907_173343909_HDR.jpg

20240903_181014.jpgMine has cut nothing but white oak for the first two tanks. I have about four more logs to go. I went with the 24" bar for less reaching and I like it that way. It's pulling chain just like I want it to. I do have a 7900 but it needs a coil and is more hp than I really need most of the time. I'm loving the 620 and will open up the muffler/tune after a few more tanks. Full comp chain keeps my files busy, but I'm happy with the cut and I'm not into big stuff much. This is a fresh blowdown.

They clear cut that stand of red oak just north of Charlie's truck stop. Looks like the Sahara desert now.

They clear cut that stand of red oak just north of Charlie's truck stop. Looks like the Sahara desert now.
I haven't been through there in probably ten years now.
Can't imagine there was much anything of worth there as alot of the oak was dead.
We had a hunting camp south of Houghton Lake in the Elbow lake area. It was a 640 acre section full of dead read oak. Limitless supply of firewood.

Back