Octane Boost

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Fish I have a hedgetrimmer that automatically liquifies pistons if I run 87 octane gas. On 88 octane it runs perfect. There proof if I ever saw any:D :cool:

Sounds like a diesel on Mobil 87 octane but when I switch to Total 87 octane it runs like a Deere. More indisputable proof.

Fish, don't give up yet. My 032ave's manual says in no uncertain terms do not use anything over 87.

That said, my SXL-925 sounds awful on low-octane gas.

youd be outgunned by team poulan alone fish:D

PS. huskyman a nice trimmer you got - how many pistons did you go through to find the perfect octane?:p

Poulan/Husqvarna/Jonsered/Craftsman...
Same thing, different color. Most can be found at
Lowes or Sears.
Fish

fish ive disagreed with u before,with apologies of course.
but i gotta say ive seen the same thing in the homeowner models.not sure about how many rings they had. but everything else looked the same.boy i guess this one kills my run for president,but im not in it for popular.just the truth. later now
ps i might add that i have a craftsman 36 w 14 bar that just runs on. decent little saw

Last edited:
Both of my chain saw manuals suggest using gasoline with a minimum 89 octane(90ROZ) rating USA/Canada.In this area(Kentucky)regular runs around 87 octane.Both manuals also recommend using premium if the min. octane rating for reg. is below 89 to avoid preignition and increased engine operating temperature.I use name brand premium grade,only buy a gallon at a time and use it within a month.My odd numbered Stihl saws love it!
Stihl crazy after all these years.....:)

I grew up in Gardenside, now live on Beaver Lake in
Lawrenceburg. Another member here lives in Danville.
E-mail me and let me know something, we might actually
know each other. You never know.
Fish
[email protected]

At least we know how to spell you're.
I am actually an ignorant yankee, as I am from
your neck of the woods. But I still don't like orange
poulans.

There is a "Tip of the Week" in the John Deere web site that says, don't use high octane gas in small garden equipment motors. It states that the additives in high octane gas can make the motors run poorly, and even damage them.

A Ryobi tech told me pretty much the same thing, adding that the octane boosters are corrosive.

Now, why these boosters are not a problem for automobile motors, I don't know for sure. I surmise that if the octane boosters are alcohol-based, then they might attract water and bacterial growth and result in acidic contamination that would be corrosive.

I have a Chrysler 300M that runs best on 89 octane. It runs just fine on 87, just loses a few HP. It runs poorly on 91 octane, with rough idle and hesitation off idle. The user manual states to use 87 to 89 octane.

My SOHC Neon motor will make 132 hp on 87 octane, 128 on 91 octane.

My take on this, is, follow the mfg's recommendations to the letter. If they say use 87, then use it. If they say 89 octane, then use that. I would avoid gasohol. If it's the only thing you can get at the octane you need, then only keep it around for 30 days, max. Put the rest in your car, which won't mind a little old fuel now and then.

Most of the concerns about detonation and pre-ignition are not too much to worry about in these small motors. They are probably not high enough output (more than 1 hp per cubic inch) for pre-ignition to be an issue, and a little detonation (pinging) isn't as big an issue as one might think.

Your mileage may vary ;-)

:p

Pretty good Fish..HeHE..orange Poulans.. round here we call em Shreveport Huskies...!

What about that octane thing dagger? What kind of compression
ratio/brands really need premium fuel? All of them? Or are you
going to go the "better safe than sorry" route? My problem
with the higher octanes has been with all of the additives that
are put in to raise the octane being bad for fuel components,
but I may be{and usually am} wrong.

I have found the same thing while running first 87 Octane and then 91 Octane in my Cherokee. It does run and idle much better with the 87 Octane. Is it because todays vehicles are designed around the minimum Octane rating?:confused:

Back