Opti-2 claims "single mix", yet ratio varies depending on package size. WHY???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrap Farm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Until recently, I thought Opti-2 had a recommended mix of 100:1. I'm now aware that the 1.8 oz pouches for a single gallon of fuel give a ratio of about 71:1. At the opposite extreme, they sell a 1.06 gallon jug of oil they say mixes with 110 gallons of fuel: That's about 104:1. In between these extremes, other package sizes give various ratios in the 80s and 90s.

Does anyone know why this is? Does the concentration of the ingredients vary depending on the size of container you buy???

Sorry if this has already been covered. I tried searching the forum, but the hundreds of results were impossible to sift through.

I was waiting for someone else to say it... but 100:1 is just insane, I'd run motor oil at 16:1 before I'd run any oil at 100:1.
Addressing the question, I highly doubt they'd have different blends of oil, they probably are just gambling that anything from 70 to 100:1 will work.

I emailed them and asked the same thing a couple of years ago. It’s to accommodate international mixing, ( liters vs gallons )

I ran it for an entire summer at 71:1 or 1.8 oz per gallon and had no issues, even in my lawnmowers that call for a 32:1 ratio.

Ironically they don’t recommend mixing it any thicker than 1.8 oz per gallon for any machine regardless of the ratio the equipment called for originally

100:1 is ridiculous. Do you drain 3.5 quarts of oil out of your car engine and go drive around too? What about donate a gallon of blood and then go do cardio?

No clue why people try and see how close they can get to running their equipment without oil.

Back