Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Brian. Sounds about right then.

I will invest in some good oil for it, so that this saw is around for many years to come.

One other though on fuel though, do you put any kind of stabilizer in saws that don't get much use?

All of the posts I have read say to dump the fuel and drain the carb if they are going to sit. I try to start mine every couple months and warm em up...

Hey Jerry! And other pioneer guys. Working on my RA, got the carb done and new fuel lines, and put it all together, and now the starter doesn't engage? It did before I took it apart, now it wont, everything is clean and dry. I can see the starter cup is quite worn, you can see the line all the way around it, so I started welding it up and going to machine it back down hopefully that does it. We'll see.

Hey Jerry! And other pioneer guys. Working on my RA, got the carb done and new fuel lines, and put it all together, and now the starter doesn't engage? It did before I took it apart, now it wont, everything is clean and dry. I can see the starter cup is quite worn, you can see the line all the way around it, so I started welding it up and going to machine it back down hopefully that does it. We'll see.

Yea that will work, I have turned the cup out and then made a bushing and pressed that back inside , either way it should work good.
Pioneerguy600

Yea that will work, I have turned the cup out and then made a bushing and pressed that back inside , either way it should work good.
Pioneerguy600

Ok, I got it working, not that pretty but it works, lol. Now I got it to fire but that's it, it keeps starting then dying. The longest it ran was maybe 10s. Any idea's? Each needle is out about 1.25 turns.

You cleaned it and that is the reason the starter dont work now. The friction washers on that starter setup dont like to be slick, for lack of a better word.

Do not get oil on those washers!

P28 Parts

Just got my P28E running and works really fine and now plan to start on the P28. It needs a few goodies like carb/cyl elbow, carb, carb bolts, choke assy that bolts to the carb, air filter, filter cover and an AV rubber. Anyone out there that might be able to help? Thanks and have a good weekend. :confused: Goball

Ok, I got it working, not that pretty but it works, lol. Now I got it to fire but that's it, it keeps starting then dying. The longest it ran was maybe 10s. Any idea's? Each needle is out about 1.25 turns.

Is it picking fuel up from the tank?Air leaks around the hose connections at the filter fuel bowl base are very common. The low speed needle should only be out 3/4 turn otherwise it will flood, the H can be out as much as 1 3/4 turns but it can also be turned in to 1 turn out to increase cutting speed if the engine is not lugged but in big wood with long cutting durations it is best kept out to 1 1/2 turns.The HL 22A is adjustable on the fly for this reason.
Pioneerguy600

Is it picking fuel up from the tank?Air leaks around the hose connections at the filter fuel bowl base are very common. The low speed needle should only be out 3/4 turn otherwise it will flood, the H can be out as much as 1 3/4 turns but it can also be turned in to 1 turn out to increase cutting speed if the engine is not lugged but in big wood with long cutting durations it is best kept out to 1 1/2 turns.The HL 22A is adjustable on the fly for this reason.
Pioneerguy600

Not sue if the lines are leaking, they are new. Maybe a little clamp on them? I'll turn in the low.

This changes things considerably..... I have a non-running 410 here now. Bet I have a running P-61 by tomorrow.

I decided to go ahead with the Stihl coil conversion. I have interest in getting that 410 running anyway, and it does have good spark. More pics to follow. A couple of weedeaters took precedence over the P-61 for now. Anyone have an idea how many degrees BTC the timing is on a P-61? Going to need that to re-index the flywheel.

How did you fare out finding gas lines? They just need to be push on tight.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry, I just use the yellow 1/4 stuff, that's all I could fine, they seem to fit good, and not loose. How much gas should be in the little glass bowl? When I redid the carb I reused the old needle lever and never touched the adjustment on it, it was level with the body.

I decided to go ahead with the Stihl coil conversion. I have interest in getting that 410 running anyway, and it does have good spark. More pics to follow. A couple of weedeaters took precedence over the P-61 for now. Anyone have an idea how many degrees BTC the timing is on a P-61? Going to need that to re-index the flywheel.
This is looking really good,can the stihl coil be made to fit P41?

Hey Jerry, got it a little better but still not perfect. It was sucking air at the connection to the bottom of the fuel bowl, could see air constantly going into the bowl and the line to the carb, so I put a small ziptie on it, and no more air, so, it starts a little easier and will idle good for 20s, then die? Got a vid uploading now so you can see. Maybe the inlet lever height is wrong, too low?

Hey Jerry here is the vid.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1s6WbqoWXU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1s6WbqoWXU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Just got my P28E running and works really fine and now plan to start on the P28. It needs a few goodies like carb/cyl elbow, carb, carb bolts, choke assy that bolts to the carb, air filter, filter cover and an AV rubber. Anyone out there that might be able to help? Thanks and have a good weekend. :confused: Goball

No filter cover, good luck with that. You can get a new filter on ebay. I can probably set you up with the rest.

Send me a pm with what you need exactly....:cheers:

Hey Jerry here is the vid.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1s6WbqoWXU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1s6WbqoWXU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

That sounds like the carb is not getting enough gas to the carb. What size pickup you got in the tank? It takes a big one that can flow a lot of gas, they originally did not have a filter in the tank, just a brass screen on a weighted brass hollowed out barrel. If that is not the problem then the metering lever may have to be raised a hair.
Pioneerguy600

That sounds like the carb is not getting enough gas to the carb. What size pickup you got in the tank? It takes a big one that can flow a lot of gas, they originally did not have a filter in the tank, just a brass screen on a weighted brass hollowed out barrel. If that is not the problem then the metering lever may have to be raised a hair.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks, I was thinking the metering lever. I just used a Stihl fuel filter that fit the 1/4 line.

Back