Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here for a few minutes

Lawrence,

I see you just got here....How goes it? Keeping busy I assume.

Drew
Hi Drew
Sorry logged on for a couple of minutes earlier today then again now for a minute.Was someone looking for some information?Let me know and I will try and help out.But if it's hands on stuff, the Gurus would be the ones to ask.And we all know who the Pioneer Gurus are!
Lawrence

Drew

I may be thinking of another saw here, but do those two holes line up across from each other? If so, it might be possible to fit a spanner wrench in there (the kind that one would use to change wheels on an angle grinder).

Am I close, or should I just :taped: and learn? :D

Very easy to make the clutch tools if you can weld or even if you can drill two holes in a piece of 1/4X 1" flatbar that will match the hole centers in the clutch, insert 2 bolts 1/4X1 1/2" into the holes, these will usually fit into the clutch holes and you have yourself a clutch tool . Even better if you can weld the heads of the bolts to the flatbar. A good length for the bar is around 10", or even a little longer gives additional leverage.
Pioneerguy600

QUOTE=propliner;1550518]Do you have the big washer installed beneath the clutch? Have you checked the crank bearings?[/QUOTE]

The big washer is beneath the clutch. I got the clutch apart no prob with a rope and punch. Here is what it looks like. I could imagine the rolled over metal on the outside edges may rub on the drum part of the sprocket.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

QUOTE=propliner;1550518]Do you have the big washer installed beneath the clutch? Have you checked the crank bearings?

The big washer is beneath the clutch. I got the clutch apart no prob with a rope and punch. Here is what it looks like. I could imagine the rolled over metal on the outside edges may rub on the drum part of the sprocket.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

The girdle spring appears to be rubbing on the clutch drum in a lot of places, it should not be doing that.
Pioneerguy600

So is this also why it seems not to have very much power (or is it just little and I am used to my 362XP)

Brian, I agree your shoes are worn. A new spring is also in order. Send me a P.M. I have the parts.

Those saws don't seem all that powerful at the best of times but are fun to cut with, especially with a sharp .325 chain.

Keep you on your toes too because the handle is SOOOOO close to the chain...:chainsaw:

Just goes to show, a little investigation, and the problem is soon solved. And with friends and contacts here, parts can usually be sourced.
One thing I've picked up with these older saws, is that they usually "talk" to you. If you have a little Patience, they will usually tell you what is wrong, or at least point you in the right direction.
Glad to see another team effort paid off

:greenchainsaw:

Drew

Brian, I agree your shoes are worn. A new spring is also in order. Send me a P.M. I have the parts.

Those saws don't seem all that powerful at the best of times but are fun to cut with, especially with a sharp .325 chain.

SO should I switch over to .325? I only have one 3/8 chain and maybe that's why it seems low power (too agressive?). The sprocket is pretty worn anyway...

The 1073 is not a real powerful saw to start with but with that worn out clutch it could not transfer power to the chain very well so it would seem powerless in the cut. The better chain for those small saws is the .325 as it loads the engine less and allows the engine to stay in its power band better while in the cut.
Pioneerguy600

I would like to thank a fellow member,
Pioneerguy600, Jerry Myers for the coil
that helped me get this Pioneer 800 up
and running. Just got to get it in some wood
and fine tune. She sounds awsome.
Some may have seen this saw as i post another
thread when i bought it.

Pioneer800008.jpg

Pioneer800007.jpg

Pioneer800006.jpg

Pioneer800005.jpg

Lee

What you running for chain Lee? It would pull full comp 404 chisel real nice in all types of wood. Did you have to rebuild the carb?
Pioneerguy600

I just got the chain on it that it
came with. But isn't the best.
So a new one is gonna go on.
I did have to redo the carb, those
are a piece of cake. i have to put a
new fuel line in the tank and a fuel
bowl gasket and everything should
be good.
She doe's sound sweeet but not as
loud as would have thought.

Thanks again

Lee

I just got the chain on it that it
came with. But isn't the best.
So a new one is gonna go on.
I did have to redo the carb, those
are a piece of cake. i have to put a
new fuel line in the tank and a fuel
bowl gasket and everything should
be good.
She doe's sound sweeet but not as
loud as would have thought.

Thanks again

Lee

Thats good , do all the little things before you run it much so that engine don`t get damaged, there is not a lot of them around in that good of condition.
Pioneerguy600

Back