Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The design of the 450 and 550 was heavy for a saw of its size, the fuel primer and hoses to deliver the fuel are one of the biggest problems with them but they are a neat looking older saw. Most of them had rather short bars and chains but they could use anything from a 12-20" setup with 404 chain.
Pioneerguy600

snared me self a nos 16" bar and chain for my 450, its a pioneer posi lube, not a mark on it still in the card board with all instructions. $60 delivered, the little 450 looks like a rat with a gold tooth now better give her a coat of jam

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG

My little 450 today, when I got it from a loggers family it was so dirty it was unreconizable, I only cleaned it up with many washes of white kerosene, nothing else touched and it runs as good today as it did when new.
Pioneerguy600

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

This NU 17 came with the 450 , both were found in an old collapsed logging camp, the NU 17 was not protected from the elements as well as the 450.

IMG_3465.JPG

IMG_3468.JPG

The NU 17 as it looks today
Pioneerguy600

IMG_3469.JPG

Yet another reason why I am getting into restoring saws. Once again you've shown us a beauty!

Your commitment to excellence is certainly something that I will strive for, as there definitely should be more of those old saws restored to their former glory.

PS .... I hope to keep on your good side so that I can visit you in 2011 when my wife and I drive out there. It would be a privilege to see those saws in person.

:cheers:

Jerry, That looks fantastic ,after admiring your restorations that's what inspired me to restore old saws & I don't think any look as nice as the old PIoneers :cheers:

Yet another reason why I am getting into restoring saws. Once again you've shown us a beauty!

Your commitment to excellence is certainly something that I will strive for, as there definitely should be more of those old saws restored to their former glory.

PS .... I hope to keep on your good side so that I can visit you in 2011 when my wife and I drive out there. It would be a privilege to see those saws in person.

:cheers:

If you make it down here let me know and I will hook up with you, I have a few of the old Pioneers.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry, That looks fantastic ,after admiring your restorations that's what inspired me to restore old saws & I don't think any look as nice as the old PIoneers :cheers:

Just showing the OP of the Pioneer550 what a little paint can do for these old saws. I agree that the Pioneer and IEL saws are good looking saws, of course the 600 and RA are my all time favourites.
Pioneerguy600

Maybe I should aquire another 1073 and slap my newly rebuilt carb on it...:)

Sometimes those old saws need a little tweaking, before they run well. I'm inclined to say that there is a little drag in the clutch. Does the sound ring all the time, or only after the saw has run a bit and warmed up??

I got one tank through her before it started making the noise. When I tried to go out and check the next day the rewind rope broke on second pull so I cannot verify until I get that fixed.

If you are going to take the recoil apart to fix the rope, I would be inclined to strip the clutch while your at it. Give it a good look over. Check for cracks and make sure all of the springs and shoes are installed correctly and nothing dragging. If the saw is down for repairs, might as well check it all over.
Post your finds.

Drew

OOHHH, now we're getting technical LOL.
If I remember correctly, there are two holes in the clutch face. Use some nylon rope in the spark plug hole as a piston stop. You should be able to use a punch to get the clutch off. I am not sure if the threads are left or right hand thread. It should be left hand.
I see petesoldsaw at the bottom, he will probably know.

Drew

OOHHH, now we're getting technical LOL.
If I remember correctly, there are two holes in the clutch face. Use some nylon rope in the spark plug hole as a piston stop. You should be able to use a punch to get the clutch off. I am not sure if the threads are left or right hand thread. It should be left hand.
I see petesoldsaw at the bottom, he will probably know.

Drew

Drew

I may be thinking of another saw here, but do those two holes line up across from each other? If so, it might be possible to fit a spanner wrench in there (the kind that one would use to change wheels on an angle grinder).

Am I close, or should I just :taped: and learn? :D

Drew

I may be thinking of another saw here, but do those two holes line up across from each other? If so, it might be possible to fit a spanner wrench in there (the kind that one would use to change wheels on an angle grinder).

Am I close, or should I just :taped: and learn? :D

Nope, you are bang on the money. At some auto/tool supply store, you can buy an adjustable spanner for angle grinders. It works O.K., but I find that a Hammer and small punch is handy and fast.

Back