Porting - higher octane needed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would low octane fuel be ok in high elevation. 8000' and above. I switched to high octane because it seemed like my saws didn't run well on 87. Now I'm using av gas. Am I wasting my money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your saws will run better (make more power) on 87-91 octane.

My Stihl 660 manual states the following on fuel: "Use mid-grade unleaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 89. If the octane rating of the mid-grade gasoline in your area is lower, use premium unleaded fuel. Fuel with a lower octane rating may increase engine temperatures. This, in turn, increases the risk of piston seizure and damage to the engine." I would think German and/or USA engineers have this figured out. Just like my co-worker stated, a saw with 150psi would benefit from a 89-91 octane fuel. I do agree with Mastermind though on the short-stroke engine of chainsaws compared to other "longer-stroke" engines.

What does that Stihl manual say about increasing the static compression pressure by 30%????

lol

You're the Mastermind on that one. If you've used 87 octane in ported saws and the performance was better I can't dispute that. I have no experience with ported saws. I'll take your work on that over my manual.

Since I don't have access to non-E 87 octane, I still have a choice of non-E 91 or 93 octane. And I'll keep my ratio at 32:1 with Motul 800.

Thanks for everyones input....especially the ones with experience with ported saws.

I was surprised my wife's 2013 Denali has a 6.2L engine and the Corvette also has a 6.2L. I'm sure the Corvette engine is more specialized. I'm glad my wife doesn't have far to bring our daughter to School and the grocery store. It only gets 13 MPG. When I get my 660 back from being ported, it'll probably get less than that.

The newest Corvette engine is their only masterpiece.....:)

And it only took them 50+yrs to perfect it.

I was surprised my wife's 2013 Denali has a 6.2L engine and the Corvette also has a 6.2L. I'm sure the Corvette engine is more specialized. I'm glad my wife doesn't have far to bring our daughter to School and the grocery store. It only gets 13 MPG. When I get my 660 back from being ported, it'll probably get less than that.

How will a ported saw affect the gas mileage of a SUV?

Latest posts

Back