Porting - higher octane needed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E10 didn't show up till January 2014 before that all stations have/had E5 and that has been around since 2005 here i have been running ethanol laced fuel for years with out a hiccup but i burn a lot also. only my small engines get E0. I use stabil red in my gas since the oil i use doesn't have stabilizers in it.

What do you guys know about research octane and motor octane of a peticular fuel. I was told that the research octane was 103 and motor octane was 93. The way I understand it in a slower burning engine the fuel was capable of 103, and in faster revving engines with smaller more efficient combustion chamber it had a capable burn rate of 93. Any input on this?

What do you guys know about research octane and motor octane of a peticular fuel. I was told that the research octane was 103 and motor octane was 93. The way I understand it in a slower burning engine the fuel was capable of 103, and in faster revving engines with smaller more efficient combustion chamber it had a capable burn rate of 93. Any input on this?

Huh? Please define "slower burning engine".
Yeah here's my input, your understanding is incorrect.
Although it's typical that RON numbers are higher than MON, the fuel will have the same properties regardless of RPM in a given engine. Remember, octane is the perpensity to resist detonation. Only way to change that is to alter the fuel in some way like adding oil or octane booster. Geometry of combustion chamber will alter flame propagation and to some degree combustion efficiency but octane doesn't change based on rpm of an engine. It's recommended for high performance engines including 2 strokes to use the MON number and not (MON+RON)/2 like is advertised at the pump because RON can be artificially inflated to compensate for low MON numbers and the fuel is passed off as an equivalent grade.

I don't have much knowledge of this, didn't make much sense to me about different octane ratings for one fuel. Thanks for the input

I don't have much knowledge of this, didn't make much sense to me about different octane ratings for one fuel. Thanks for the input
There are different octane ratings because the two tests are different from each other.

I wish I could get non-eth other than my Stihl dealer selling av gas at 7.49 a gallon. No such thing around here.

Check with the boat docks and marina's. Older boats have serious problems with Ethanol gas, even to the point of melted internal gas tanks and components on pre 1990 units. The other place to look is anywhere there is a race track. They always offer an unleaded 100 octane source. Turbo Blue, Sunoco 260 and so on.

Check with the boat docks and marina's. Older boats have serious problems with Ethanol gas, even to the point of melted internal gas tanks and components on pre 1990 units. The other place to look is anywhere there is a race track. They always offer an unleaded 100 octane source. Turbo Blue, Sunoco 260 and so on.
Dang! Non ethanol is available in different grades in just about every town here in Northwest Louisiana. 87 and 91 pretty easy to find but 93 is alil harder.

Madsens reccomends 90 or above, me personally, I don't think it matters, same with the oil, it's a simple engine, gas and oil go in, it lubes and it combust and it releases the burnt fuel and oil, nothing fancy, I believe it will do this no matter what as long as you have ample oil in your mix.

I use to only mix my oil with 87 octane with ethanol. I remember when I first tried 93 octane non-ethanol. My 660 idle speed increased so much the chain was moving. The same thing happened in a smaller saw I have when I tried VP premix 94 octane.

U'r saws are most likely engineered to run on E10. Even if not, a carb kit is $12, lines even less. If you use the saw a lot, you're spending big bucks to avoid small dollar repairs.
It aint the small dollar vs big dollar,that point is moot ..........
its the reliability vs the chance to score up a good top end (wouldnt want to hurt a ported one - would you ?)

Beside, I am not using them so much that its pinching me, plus I just add the cost of fuel into any job,

Personally; for me, I like the idea of getting a known good fuel (without the ethanol and high octane). I was already purchasing 110 low lead and leaving some power on the table.

My saws already had ethanol issues a few years back, the parts that went into it - ethanol friendly or not - does not matter up here where I live. Ethanol concentrations vary between 10-20%. Thats a huge chance to take with burning a good saw - alcohol friendly parts or not.

Latest posts

Back