Porting - higher octane needed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All this stuff is way over my head, but I'm still enjoying this thread! Hopefully a little bit of this information will sink in.:confused:

I've torture tested some on the mill running regular ole 87. The 390 had a mix of 87 and 93 from when I filled the jug up. I got 3 slabs and used 5 tanks of mix on Tuesday. It had previously run on all 87. I was at a station with 93 so I said what the hell I'll run some.

Guess the high octane crowd hasn't found this thread yet. ;)

The only reason I was running the 110 was due to non-ethanol. I cant get non-ethanol at any stations, so I was grabbing CAM 2 110 low lead.
I got my hands on VP 94 octane 2 cycle ......... a few 5 gallon buckets of it for this spring.
About the same overall price as the 110, but I am betting my saws will see a slight increase in power after a proper tune and some more oil added to the mix.

Nice reads.

I'd like to add that 32:1 holds higher oil pressure than 50:1 :laugh:.

I run 92 octane in all my small engine tools that set more than they get used.....main reason being is that I can get non ethanol 92 real easily.....no other non ethanol options for me unless i drive futher.

my old man cuts firewood and only burns 87 his premix is smelly and foul 20 ounces of supertech outboard with 5 gallons of gas for the old homelite and poulan.
they both are still running after 20 yrs of abuse. so i can say 87 is safe to use if no high test 89-93 is available.

I wish I could get non-eth other than my Stihl dealer selling av gas at 7.49 a gallon. No such thing around here.

The only reason I was running the 110 was due to non-ethanol. I cant get non-ethanol at any stations, so I was grabbing CAM 2 110 low lead.
I got my hands on VP 94 octane 2 cycle ......... a few 5 gallon buckets of it for this spring.
About the same overall price as the 110, but I am betting my saws will see a slight increase in power after a proper tune and some more oil added to the mix.
U'r saws are most likely engineered to run on E10. Even if not, a carb kit is $12, lines even less. If you use the saw a lot, you're spending big bucks to avoid small dollar repairs.

funny though the m-tronic stihls say you can use up to E25 in there saws and non m-tronic only up to E10
thought it wouldn't matter on either.

Latest posts

Back