Rainbow Coalition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchip

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Not as in Jesse "Let me spend your donations" Jackson, but in chainsaws .

Stihl dealer had a picture of :
Sears
Poulan
John Deere
Jonsred (sp?)
Husky

All exactly the same looking, all made by the same company each in its own brand color scheme, but priced by name.
Anyone else see this?

Electrolux AB of Sweden owns the names and copyrights, etc. of Poulan, Husqvarna, and Jonsered. Sears has an arrangement with them to rebadge Poulan chain saws sold through the Sears stores. (Sears has sold Poulan for years)

There are some common models in Husqvarna and Jonsered's small consumer saws with Poulan, and of course, Sears. These are light-duty models that probably do not do as well in the dealer's show rooms, but are useful to round out the lines for the occasional customer that wants a lightweight and also wants to support his local small businessman (God bless that kind of customer).

I am aware of John Deere selling Remington, Kioritz (Echo), Homelite, and now EMAK (Olympik/EFCO) chain saws, but am not aware of a JD saw from Poulan/Electrolux.

Is there a point to Stihl's poster? The only Stihl dealers near me also sell JD and Husky, so are unlikely to put up a poster that insults the brand on the other side of the aisle.

I guess not.

Without seeing what Stihl has printed on the poster, I can only assume that Stihl wants the customer to believe that the Husky or Jonsered pro saw is the same as a Poulan wild thing, only costs more...Moral: buy that 029/290 and have the "real deal"

There's a fine line between advertizing and Lying sometimes, isn't there?

If that's the point, then I must be a dried up, humorless old fart, because I'm not laughing...:confused:

Woodchip,

What was the price spread? Most/least expensive?

From what I understand, Stihl doesn't allow much price competition. I've also read things about Stihl dealers getting in trouble for shipping saws out of thier territory. Sounds like Stihl wants to control prices which is good for their dealers, not as good for the end consumer. I don't want to make it sound like I have anything against saw shops. From what little I have gathered, it sounds like Stihl might be closer to price controlling than the Electrolux family.

Good or bad...who's to say.

If I'm missing the humorous point that you saw, would you explain for me too? Was the poster one that Stihl produced or an in store photo?

Tom

I think what was implied was, if you buy some other brand....are you really buying a better saw or the same saw with a different paint job.

Tom. no prices were given. Stihls name was not on the placard. Just 5 columns of saws with one of each brand in each col. Salesman then explains they are all made by one manufacturer down south (Georgia?)

Maybe someone with more knowledge could see if their local stihl dealer has this same "sales" tool.

Tom,

You mentioned Stihl dealers getting in trouble for shipping saws out of their territory. I am far from an expert but I am 99.9%positive that all stihl dealers are to NEVER ship a Stihl product. It does not matter whether it is a saw or a just a chain. Stihl does not want dealers selling over the phone, mail or internet.

Bill

Back