Reviving a Poulan 5200

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I was trying to explain to you about making the 8500 AF work in my answer on the Poulan thread. Remains to be seen if the top cover fits down over it since that AF is thicker than the one for the 5200.

Yes, that was my main concern as well, fitting under the cover.

I hope it does though so there would be another air filter option for them.

Yup they are, it vibes pretty bad though. Lean mean and green!!

Will, I have heard you say this before and I have to say that I just don't agree with you! I think there pretty darn smooth in fact, especially considering they came out in 1975!

I don't know of anything back then that had better anti vibe on them and there not that much worse then alot of rubber mounted saws made in the last 10 years.

But thats just me!

Nice. I don't think there's a cooler factory muffler than those.

I strongly agree!

Yes, that was my main concern as well, fitting under the cover.

I hope it does though so there would be another air filter option for them.

Will, I have heard you say this before and I have to say that I just don't agree with you! I think there pretty darn smooth in fact, especially considering they came out in 1975!

I don't know of anything back then that had better anti vibe on them and there not that much worse then alot of rubber mounted saws made in the last 10 years.

But thats just me!

I strongly agree!

Maybe back then they were good. But not compared to the new Husky's. You're probably just used to running them. I'm not. I never use the old saws for anything.

Maybe back then they were good. But not compared to the new Husky's. You're probably just used to running them. I'm not. I never use the old saws for anything.

Well, yes.... Compared to my 575XP your right! But then the 575 is in a class mostly all its own when it comes to antivibe.

All I'm saying is that for what it is the 5200 is very good with its antivibe.

Well, yes.... Compared to my 575XP your right! But then the 575 is in a class mostly all its own when it comes to antivibe.

All I'm saying is that for what it is the 5200 is very good with its antivibe.

Your probably right, I just haven't run this saw much, just seemed to me to vibrate???

I got the top cover for the 5200 tonight, and it won't fit over the filter:( Fortunately, I'm supposed to have two 5200 filters headed this way.

Well mine must have been the broken one that fit over the filter. It's been a while.

Hello, Brad. I was wondering if it made it to you. Thanks, and feedback left. Hope it's a great runner, although I know it will be when you finish with it...:cheers:

Hello, Brad. I was wondering if it made it to you. Thanks, and feedback left. Hope it's a great runner, although I know it will be when you finish with it...:cheers:

I believe all it needs is a thorough cleaning, fuel lines, and carb cleaning. I've already got a top cover, and a couple filters are on the way. Thanks for the fast shipping.

She lives again, but not without a major fight. I won though! I tore the saw down to the crankcase. This thing was nasty. I'm talking the old tarry kind of gum that doesn't want to come off. The P&C looked great, which I decarboned. Some yo-yo had used silicone to put the carb back together! Yes, you read that right. A couple trips through the ultrasonic cleaner, welch plugs removed and replace, and I gave up on in. It wouldn't hold an idle and would not tune correctly, no matter what I did. Who knows how much later, I had heavily modified a Walbro WT and made it work. This required swapping the throttle and choke shafts, and plugging and relocating both the fuel inlet and impulse passage. It was no easy talk. It's now running like a clock. Idles great, good throttle response, and tunes as it should. Of course, the real test will be when I get it in some wood. I didn't take any pics tonight, but will in the morning. The batteries in my camera are dead.

Oh, the heavy varnish in the fuel tank cleaned up nicely. I used a couple cans of Berrymans B-12 and #8 lead shot. I'm amazed how clean it came!

With this lousy cold I've got, I couln't sleep again, so here are the pics. BTW, I've not yet cleaned up and worked on the bow bar. I replaced the pull rope, new reed block and carb gaskets, repaired the kill switch wire, decarboned the P&C, replaced the carb, replaced the fuel line and filter, and cleaned everything.

1125931031_EQbFn-M.jpg

1125931141_2zLcZ-M.jpg

1125931221_ShnYA-M.jpg

1125931306_E7znc-M.jpg

1125931402_p9pQd-M.jpg

1125931491_f7oKF-M.jpg

Last edited:
What do you think? At a minimum, I'm putting new decals on this saw. They're already ordered. Should I paint the whole saw, paint just the top cover which came from another saw, or only replace the decals?

paint it all, but paint it durable.

about 1k posts till you retire:D

I should be able to retire by the end of the year:clap: I painted the Homelite 1050 with TSC tractor/iimplement paint and used their hardener in it. It looks to be very fuel resistant. The carb cleaner with methylene chloride in it doesn't even seem to touch it.

Latest posts

Back