Reviving a Poulan 5200

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a question on my clutch assembly. I have two thrust washers, one on either side of the drum. One is smaller in diameter, but thicker. The other is larger in diameter, but thinner. Which one goes on which side? I had the large thin one against the worm gear, and the smaller one between the drum and clutch. I've switched them around now to see if it makes a difference. I'm thinking my drum/spur may be just a little too thick, and when they saw is used, it torques the clutch on tight enough to bind the drum.

I figured out the fast idle problem. All the parts were ther, just the end of the button is broken off. The problem is that the handle is worn where the pin pushes through, and was allowing the spring to go through. I made a small washer to go in, thus holding the spring. A little tweak of the throttle rod, and it's good to go. A new button would be nice, but it works the way it is.

Those that suffer should know. My son has it, but doesn't know how to channel it. When he does, OMG. Most of the time it isn't, and that sometimes leads to much trouble. So I admire those that suffer and do well, and have a very special relationship with a very special person.

I've got a question on my clutch assembly. I have two thrust washers, one on either side of the drum. One is smaller in diameter, but thicker. The other is larger in diameter, but thinner. Which one goes on which side? I had the large thin one against the worm gear, and the smaller one between the drum and clutch. I've switched them around now to see if it makes a difference. I'm thinking my drum/spur may be just a little too thick, and when they saw is used, it torques the clutch on tight enough to bind the drum.

Brad, you should have 3 washers if I remember right. A thin one on the back and a small thick one inside and a very large thin one against the clutch itself.

What brand spur sprocket do you have? I have had some trouble myself out of those Herr sprockets.

All my 4200/5200 saws have to be idled down pretty far to keep the clutch from wanting to engage. I even put new springs in them. It's not too bad a problem though and just kinda chock it up to the nature of the beast.

Brad, you should have 3 washers if I remember right. A thin one on the back and a small thick one inside and a very large thin one against the clutch itself.

What brand spur sprocket do you have? I have had some trouble myself out of those Herr sprockets.

All my 4200/5200 saws have to be idled down pretty far to keep the clutch from wanting to engage. I even put new springs in them. It's not too bad a problem though and just kinda chock it up to the nature of the beast.

I'm missing the big one that goes against the clutch. I don't see a brand on the drum. I'm having no trouble keeping it from spinning the chain now. I did flip the flat springs over.

Last edited:
I'm missing the big one that goes on the outside of the clutch. I don't see a brand on the drum. I'm having no trouble keeping it from spinning the chain now. I did flip the flat springs over.

I'll look this weeked to see if the 245 used the same bigger washer, because I may have one of them.

If you didn't see a brand on the drum it probably isnt a Poulan drum then.

We have not heard much about your project lately. Too busy porting I suppose.
I went out to the shop and ran mine earlier today. I need to get a big tree to use that thing on.

Keep us posted on how its going

We have not heard much about your project lately. Too busy porting I suppose.
I went out to the shop and ran mine earlier today. I need to get a big tree to use that thing on.

Keep us posted on how its going

The saw is basically finished and running great. I'll not be working on it until I get the paint for it, after which the new decals will go on.

I'm doing a little reviving of my own. Got this one tore apart yesterday and working in cleaning it up. The piston, cyl and crank are all in excellent conditon on this one.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hopefully before the days over I'll have another tore down as well. If I do them both at the same time, I can paint them both at the same time as well saving some work later cleaning spray guns and such.

I hate working on more than one saw at once, but I certainly understand wanting to only have the paint out once. That is the only drawback of using a spraygun. The results are worth it though. Are crank seals available for these?

I hate working on more than one saw at once, but I certainly understand wanting to only have the paint out once. That is the only drawback of using a spraygun. The results are worth it though. Are crank seals available for these?

National 471466

OEM #530019075 listed as still available from Poulan for $5.01

Last edited:
I finally got my real 5200 air filter yesterday. Here it is in solid Oak. She's definately a runner. She has good RPMs, yet you can lean on her, and she just digs in a gets to work.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/l06sC7I9aX4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/l06sC7I9aX4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I'm doing a little reviving of my own. Got this one tore apart yesterday and working in cleaning it up. The piston, cyl and crank are all in excellent conditon on this one.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hopefully before the days over I'll have another tore down as well. If I do them both at the same time, I can paint them both at the same time as well saving some work later cleaning spray guns and such.

Mark that reed cage looks HUGE from the pic. Your build looks good so far and seems to cleaned up nice. When your done sent it this way :cheers:

Latest posts

Back