Reviving a Poulan 5200

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Color looks good Brad.

I didn't know you could put hardner in plain ole oil based enamel. I hope it works, I had a hard time with oil based enamel on a Homelite I did. Paint peeled right off of it when fuel hit it.

Try it on something else first?

Color looks good Brad.

I didn't know you could put hardner in plain ole oil based enamel. I hope it works, I had a hard time with oil based enamel on a Homelite I did. Paint peeled right off of it when fuel hit it.

Try it on something else first?

They sell a hardener right there for it. I've painted a couple saws with this, but then put them on a shelf, so don't know if it's fuel proof. I believe the tractor/implement paint I used on the Homelite 1050 is just regular enamel.

Paint time. I finally got around to squirting some paint on this 5200. It's in primer, and soon to get a couple coats of lime green. Yes, I could have removed the handle, but the less I have to assemble after the paint job, the better. I would normally have the recoil off, but this is how I believe they were painted from the factory.

1150686437_ZwQS6-M.jpg

1150686519_wnAzM-M.jpg

1150686619_tStTc-M.jpg

1150686717_2hjCK-M.jpg

1150686775_52MGd-M.jpg

1150686871_JiW68-M.jpg

Nice job there Brad. My last ones going to be a green top as well because it is a very early one.

That decal you asked about goes under the top cover up near the front.

You got waterslide decals? Mine were vinyl, thank goodness.

As for sealing them? I used a acrylic clear over them and the covers, but I'm not sure how good that is. I got gas on one after only a day and it took it off.

It might just need more cure time though, as I purposly tried some gas on a rag on it and it didnt hardly touch it now after a week cure time.

My next one I'm just going to clear the decals themselves before installation this time.

I'm also going to use some regular plasti coat clear that is for automotive use. Not sure if its going to be any better but we will see.

A proper original type bar would be a Poulan branded 17",21" or 25" hardnosed, or a 24",27" or 30" sprocket nosed, and probably a Windsor.

If your like me, I just put large mount Husqvarna bars on them with stud spacers.

Like I said before, nice job!

Last edited:
Brad, Can I have all the cookies you, Nik, and Andre cut in the back yard? If so I'm just gonna sell all my saws and let you guys keep me in firewood. :)

Looks like a brand new saw now. That Poulan is sure lucky to have an owner like you!!!

You can't help but be impressed when you run these old torque monsters. And they're not slow either. These big ones are getting harder to find with AS having made them so popular.

Brad back when I was a kid my dad was logging and got a new 5200 at the time I thought it was big and man could it cut. Now that I am 40 I was right they are big and they do cut.

Awesome saw! I was handed down a 4000 Countervibe from my dad. I'm 32 now and he bought it new when I was a kid in the early-mid 80s. He handed down to me about 8 years ago and I have put it to a lot of work. I love that saw and still have it. I'd love to find a 5200 to complement it though. It stinks that parts are so hard to come by now.

Latest posts

Back