Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bumpin' my own threads it's obvious I have no shame.

Tired of writing parts numbers, so I took a break and continued w/some of the disassembly on the 120 Super.

I'm having quite the time breaking the clutch loose from the crank.

The other two units were nothing like this as I'm putting on some pressure w/knot in a rope holding the piston at bay.

It's moments like this when I start to doubt the left handed threads.

Put on a 10X loupe, cleaned the junk out and sprayed Dad's favorite cure all, Wonder Drug-40, on the threads and tapped, and sprayed, and tapped, and sprayed some more.

I can whip out a breaker bar for leverage if I have to coz sumpthin' has gotta give besides yours truly.

Hi folks. Can anyone tell me the maximum allowed rpm's without load on a 116?Also I use Aspen Alkylate petrol in all my saws which is 1-50. On the spec sheet for the 116 it says fuel oil ratio 1-40. Can I expect problems running the same fuel as in my other saws.

Geoff.

:cheers:

Bumpin' my own threads it's obvious I have no shame.

Tired of writing parts numbers, so I took a break and continued w/some of the disassembly on the 120 Super.

I'm having quite the time breaking the clutch loose from the crank.

The other two units were nothing like this as I'm putting on some pressure w/knot in a rope holding the piston at bay.

It's moments like this when I start to doubt the left handed threads.

Put on a 10X loupe, cleaned the junk out and sprayed Dad's favorite cure all, Wonder Drug-40, on the threads and tapped, and sprayed, and tapped, and sprayed some more.

I can whip out a breaker bar for leverage if I have to coz sumpthin' has gotta give besides yours truly.

Left hand thread, 1/2" drive impact gun, it will come off. or you can use a long breaker bar if you have some way of holding the saw body securely.

Pioneerguy600

Thanks Jerry, this clutch needs the slotted spanner, 120 Super, which I don't have in order to use an impact/air wrench.

I'm still soaking the threads & have a crescent wrench w/breaker bar.

Whilst I'm wrting parts numbers I noticed a kit for the oil pump and a kit for the eco pump.

What's the difference & how do I visually distinguish them on a 120si?

Last edited:
Thanks Jerry, this clutch needs the slotted spanner, 120 Super, which I don't have in order to use an impact/air wrench.

I'm still soaking the threads & have a cresent wrench w/breaker bar.

Whilst I'm wrting parts numbers I noticed a kit for the oil pump and a kit for the eco pump.

What's the difference & how do I visually distinguish them on a 120si?

Yea, I made all my own drive sockets for clutch removal, it makes removal so easy.
Never had issues with the oil pumps on my Sachs Dolmars, they still have their original oil lines and pumps. I take it that there were two types of oil pumps, one standard and the other higher volume, have not needed to change mine so lets hope others that have can fill us in on how to distinguish one from the other.

Pioneerguy600

A guy at work gave me an old Sachs Fichtel snowmobile engine.

Sorry, no it's not a Wankel, it is a pretty good sized one lunger.
No spark and 4 wires going into the cowling. Looks like someone has twisted a few of the wires together Any one here know a thing about these old beasts?

A wiring diagram would help a bunch.

Thanks

mo

No spark and 4 wires going into the cowling. Looks like someone has twisted a few of the wires together Any one here know a thing about these old beasts?

Thanks

mo

Don't know much about them,
But Sachs was a big player in
snowmobile and motorcycle engines
back in the day.

Lee

Thanks

mo

Fellow member Brad Morgan has been working on some of them, he may have figured out some stuff on them.

Pioneerguy600

Where can I get an IPL for a 117? No answer in the beg for manuals, they do excellent work over there, but so far bupkis for a 117.

Thats better. Thank you, or dunka.
Now, why can't I rebuild my 117 into a 120? Several reasons I'm sure, but I gotta ask...

Thats better. Thank you, or dunka.
Now, why can't I rebuild my 117 into a 120? Several reasons I'm sure, but I gotta ask...

I believe your 117 is just the same as the regular 120, they have the same bore and stroke at 47 mm bore X 35 mm stroke. The 120 Super and 120 Si have a bigger bore and longer stroke at 49 mm bore X 36 mm stroke.
Pioneerguy600

117/120 apples, apples.

Here is a 120 I was pretty proud of, too bad I let my Big Bro use it, and will probably never see it again.

2260710190104137097S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I believe your 117 is just the same as the regular 120, they have the same bore and stroke at 47 mm bore X 35 mm stroke. The 120 Super and 120 Si have a bigger bore and longer stroke at 49 mm bore X 36 mm stroke.
Pioneerguy600

The rings, wrist pins, c-clips & right side oil seal appear to share the same part numbers betwixt the 120 super and the 120si.

The pistons are only different in the first three numbers w/030 132 000 being the si & 121 132 000 being the super.

My querry is: Do the pistons interchange/are they both same compression/skirt length or am I missing something that the first three digits of the part numbers represents other than being super/si model?

Mo, that's a good lookin' 120.

You must think highly of ya big bro.

----------------------------------------
Where can I buy Dolmar orange paint? Is there a specific paint code that I can use to have some mixed locally?

I'm wanting to touch up the 123 & the si bare spots before I reassemble them to cutting status.

I've nevah tried the si for spark, so I may presume too much, yet time will tell if the gent was honest & forthright in his recollection and assessment of previous performance.

Last edited:
The rings, wrist pins, c-clips & right side oil seal appear to share the same part numbers betwixt the 120 super and the 120si.

The pistons are only different in the first three numbers w/030 132 000 being the si & 121 132 000 being the super.

My querry is: Do the pistons interchange/are they both same compression/skirt length or am I missing something that the first three digits of the part numbers represents other than being super/si model?

I built a 120 Super up from a parts saw and used a OEM 120Si P&C on it but I have not really swapped pistons, I would need some measurements to be sure on that one.

Pioneerguy600

So the difference is in the air filter set up and affected parts, eg the cover and intake. At least I think I seen that last night...

Thanks Jerry, You used the C-clip & piston off an si on the super?

The reason I ask is that I want to use what parts I can off of the super on the si or vice-versa as the case may be.

Other than handlebar, clutch, clutch cover, trigger/tank I was wondering if I could replace the whole jug assembly and/or carb.

The recoil starter assembly, as I recall, was rounded on the super & I don't think it would interchange w/si thought the guts might be the same.

Thanks Jerry, You used the C-clip & piston off an si on the super?

The reason I ask is that I want to use what parts I can off of the super on the si or vice-versa as the case may be.

Other than handlebar, clutch, clutch cover, trigger/tank I was wondering if I could replace the whole jug assembly and/or carb.

The recoil starter assembly, as I recall, was rounded on the super & I don't think it would interchange w/si thought the guts might be the same.

I got a new 120Si piston and cylinder kit, came with new rings, pin clips and wrist pin bearing, never checked them against the original 120 Super parts as they were really toasted.
Pioneerguy600

Kewl deal Lucille, now I know I can swap complete jugs w/piston & rings if needed between the super & si.

I hoped the crank & the two crank seals would be the same as well & was a bit surprised to find one side, of the two models, different.

I didn't expect the different ignitions to bolt up though it would have been nice.

I guess whichever one has fire will be the platform should the other be dead,

They seem so much alike that I'm not sure which, if either, would be prefered over the other.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Back