Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, How bout just the muffler.
Never seen one like that. Wonder how she sounds.

Nice find Chris, Another saved from the dead.

Lee

I like the whole saw but that muffler does look sweet. I bet that beast will clean up nice.:msp_thumbsup:

Damn, How bout just the muffler.
Never seen one like that. Wonder how she sounds.

Nice find Chris, Another saved from the dead.

Lee

The muffler is very different from any other 166 I have seen. It looks completely factory though with no sign of a patch up anywhere. I will pull the muffler tonight to take the all important look at the cylinder and piston.

Chris.

Another 166 sighting. Been fooling with this one for a couple weeks. Dug out the NOS Cannon roller nose, drilled the oiler hole, and fitted the chain. The bar predates the saw a few years, I'm sure, but who's to say somebody hasn't used an old Stihl roller nose on one of these. Looks pretty sharp in any case.

Chris B.

166_1.jpg

166_2.jpg

Last edited:
Another 166 sighting. Been fooling with this one for a couple weeks. Dug out the NOS Cannon roller nose, drilled the oiler hole, and fitted the chain. The bar predates the saw a few years, I'm sure, but who's to say somebody hasn't used an old Stihl roller nose on one of these. Looks pretty sharp in any case.

Chris B.

166_1.jpg

166_2.jpg

Sweet 166. But then there all sweet in my book.
Congrats on a nice find.
I have one or two that came with Stihl mount
roller nose bars. They look good.

Lee

I came across this saw today amongst approx 100 vintage saws in a collection. It was the only Dolmar in the lot and I was very pleased to have found it.
It appears to be an early 166, without the decomp v/v and different airbox set up to the later saws. The exhaust outlet is different as well.
The pics of the saw are as it stands in my motel room, and underneath the dust and dirts seems to be a pretty clean old giant. I need to find / fabricate a replacement manual oiler button assy, and renes the starter handle, but apart from that it is all there. Compression feels a bit light for one of these saws, so I am hoping the cylinder/piston is okay, and the fix will be a set of rings. I will pull the muffler over the weekend.

Here are the pics of the saw.

Chris.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice, I like that muffler. Looks like a Poulan 4200-5200 muffler outlet. I'll bet its going to sound great.

Hey Mark,

did you ever get that drum bored out for your 6000?

No, I had a couple guys shy away from doing it as they thought it would be too tough to do on the hardend steel.

I did find a 21mm 3/8's x 8 spur and have it coming though. I think that a 3/8 x 8 and a .404 x8 were all that were ever made for them. That big 21mm brg dont leave much room for anything else.

I now set with 2 NOS sprockets for a 153/166 though if someone needs them. A 3/8 x 8 and a rim and drum setup.

Did we ever decide if any 152's ever used these 18mm bore sprockets? I thought maybe later 152 and Poulan S6000's?

No, I had a couple guys shy away from doing it as they thought it would be too tough to do on the hardend steel.

I did find a 21mm 3/8's x 8 spur and have it coming though. I think that a 3/8 x 8 and a .404 x8 were all that were ever made for them. That big 21mm brg dont leave much room for anything else.

I now set with 2 NOS sprockets for a 153/166 though if someone needs them. A 3/8 x 8 and a rim and drum setup.

Did we ever decide if any 152's ever used these 18mm bore sprockets? I thought maybe later 152 and Poulan S6000's?

I attempted to turn the bore of a Dolmar drum a few weeks ago. I wanted to use the rim setup on a Homelite. It was too hard to cut with my meager tools. I wondered about grinding it?

Yeah I had visions of mounting my electric die grinder on a lathe tool post. :hmm3grin2orange:

What? It might work.

There is no reason that can't work. I've done similar setups for making parts and tools in the past with good success.

Mr. HE:cool:

I attempted to turn the bore of a Dolmar drum a few weeks ago. I wanted to use the rim setup on a Homelite. It was too hard to cut with my meager tools. I wondered about grinding it?

Do you have carbide?

I have a NOS old Homelite rim sprocket, don't know if that's what you need.

Yeah I had visions of mounting my electric die grinder on a lathe tool post. :hmm3grin2orange:

What? It might work.

It'll work. I have a mount for my Foredom on my lathe.

Back