Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, Looks like it was run without an air filter.
That cylinder will need to be replated. Never seen
one that bad. Looks like your air filter has a big
hole in the upper left corner.

I have US Chrome do all my cylinders. They do
nice work.

Lee

The air filter element is completely shot and needs to be replaced. Definitely the major contributor to the excessive wear on this cylinder. I will have the cylinder replated when I return home, which should give the big saw a new lease on life. I have seen you mention US Chrome before Lee, and I am sure they do a good job. I have checked out a reputable local firm who have been in the plating business for a long time, and have a very good name, so may go with them. It is not cheap though, but still very much worth it IMO. I believe alot of the cost is tied up with the fact that the cylinder does not have a removable head, and therefore the finish sizing takes a little more time. If this works out well, I will get a few more cylinders done - namely large bore Homelites.

Regards,

Chris.

Nice saw Chris. I have heard of some funny things happening in motel rooms but that is the fist time I have seen some-one use it as a workshop. The lovely fluffy towels would make great rags though.:smile2:

Here is a poser for the McCulloch - Dolmar fans in Oz. I have a couple of the yellow McCulloch rebadged Dolmars (some call them bumble bees) and jumped at the chance to get another PM6800. It was nice and cheap because the seller said it had all the fins broken off the flywheel and McCulloch Australia had never heard of that saw so he could not get parts. I sent off my money and at the same time put an SOS out here for a flywheel fan for a Dolmar 120S as that is what the PM 6800 is. It uses the under flywheel SEM ignition like the Husky 2100 series and Stihl/s 045/056's and the fan is a bolt on unit.
Luckily Rob (jockeyduece) came to my aid and I had a Canadian flywheel fan before the saw was delivered from my own state.

Well, when I opened the box - always an exciting time - you could have knocked me over with a feather. The saw was a Mac 6800 alright but it was a 6800Si. This one was based on the Dolmar 120Si - yellow tank and all. It was in lovely condition and I just happened to have a flywheel from a 120Si parts saw, so with a little cleaning, an easy muffler mod, it was purring like a kitten.

From all I have read on the Australian McCulloch Dolmars the PM6800 is based on the 120S and I have never seen any reference to this later one based on the 120Si. I am not complaining as it is a great saw and an interesting variation. Has anyone seen one of these before?

Here they are. BTW Chris, have you got that SP 118 going yet?

PB010947.jpg

PB010950.jpg

PB010949.jpg

Al.

The motel workshop has a few restrictions, and generally a talking point amongst the cleaning staff Al. Don't think I will risk using the towels as rags though.

The SP118 I picked up (A very big thanks to you!!!!!!!) starts and runs really well. It does need a new .404 sprocket, but apart from that it is one fine machine. I have my other SP118 back together as well, so all is good on the big bumblebee front.

Congrats on a fine pair of PM 6800 machines. They look great, and I am sure there would not be too many of these out there.

Here is a shot of the 166 and SP118's on the bench.

Regards,

Chris.

attachment.php

Nice pic Chris. I love the Dolly with the big outboard filter. I guess I will have to look out for one of those big boys for myself though lord knows I don't need any more saws.

Al.

I was just reading a little in here. I see someone likes to work on saws in hotel rooms. I have 120si I am restoring all in parts in a box that is going to a hotel with me for the next couple of nights, I have a Copeland compressor seminar to go t for three days. Just thought it was funny you guys were talking about it. I love those big old giant Dolmars, hope to obtain one some day.

Nice pic Chris. I love the Dolly with the big outboard filter. I guess I will have to look out for one of those big boys for myself though lord knows I don't need any more saws.

Al.

I have to agree. The factory PNW filter does look pretty cool on these Dolmars.

I was just reading a little in here. I see someone likes to work on saws in hotel rooms. I have 120si I am restoring all in parts in a box that is going to a hotel with me for the next couple of nights, I have a Copeland compressor seminar to go t for three days. Just thought it was funny you guys were talking about it. I love those big old giant Dolmars, hope to obtain one some day.

Nice one Jim - I hope all goes well with the 'Hotel' 120si rebuild. It is certainly outside the square of normality for alot of people who work on saws, but for some it is the only way to get a fix.

Best of luck with tracking down a 166. Not easy to find, but definitely out there.

Regards,

Chris.

Well, when I opened the box - always an exciting time - you could have knocked me over with a feather. The saw was a Mac 6800 alright but it was a 6800Si. This one was based on the Dolmar 120Si - yellow tank and all. It was in lovely condition and I just happened to have a flywheel from a 120Si parts saw, so with a little cleaning, an easy muffler mod, it was purring like a kitten.

From all I have read on the Australian McCulloch Dolmars the PM6800 is based on the 120S and I have never seen any reference to this later one based on the 120Si. I am not complaining as it is a great saw and an interesting variation. Has anyone seen one of these before?

Al.

Very nice looking saws, Al! It's nice to get lucky every once in a while.

The motel workshop has a few restrictions, and generally a talking point amongst the cleaning staff Al. Don't think I will risk using the towels as rags though.

The SP118 I picked up (A very big thanks to you!!!!!!!) starts and runs really well. It does need a new .404 sprocket, but apart from that it is one fine machine. I have my other SP118 back together as well, so all is good on the big bumblebee front.

Congrats on a fine pair of PM 6800 machines. They look great, and I am sure there would not be too many of these out there.

Here is a shot of the 166 and SP118's on the bench.

Regards,

Chris.

Great looking bunch you have there, Chris! I like the PNW AF setup too.

Latest posts

Back